Relative text size in stories

So obviously, for reading settings to work as a concept, the author can't have full control over text size, but it would still be useful to designate certain parts of text as being smaller or larger than the surrounding reader-controlled-size text. So if the reader's font size setting is 15px, "small" text would be 12px and "large" text would be 18px, or something like that.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Ah, I had this problem before. Really screwed with something I wrote and I had to improvise. Don't remember the details though.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I think it has accessibility issues with it.

Let's assume max size is 24 for the sake of exemplification.

If the reader put all their text at size 24, then seeing a part suddenly being at size 18 will be hard for them to read, because like... They wouldn't be using size 24 otherwise. This is bad for the readers overall, so not the best of suggestions IMO.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
That isn't actually all that big of a problem: HTML already supports setting the text size as a relative percentage of the surrounding text; it would just be a matter of adding the additional code needed to bring this into the site itself.

As for accessibility issues: You simply add maximum and minimum size caps. if the value would go beyond the cap it simply gets clamped to the cap.

Katsuya

I mean, I half agree, half don't. I like the current font, can't lie. It would also complicate things and stuff, but at times, you kinda do need a different font. Though, rather then font SIZE, having different font STYLES would be nice.