Released a new chapter an got 30k views.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Jesus christ I've only been writing it for 2 months but my story already has 39 chapters and 30k views. I didn't think I'd actually get that much so quickly. I have to admit, it's kind of mind boggling that 30k people looked at my story. Not exactly read it cause probably less than half of that number actually read the first chapter. The others just clicked on the page. But still, they saw it and its still weird to think about. If I keep this up, I can probably have 50k by the end of march or early april. Which is insane to me.

I'm hoping that by the end of my story then I'll have at least 100k views. That's kind of what I'm hoping for. Who knows, maybe with some luck I can get onto trending. Probably not cause my story isn't exactly what I would call the most friendly to casual readers with how much symbolism, metaphors, and foreshadowing I put in my story.

Anyway, enough of me gushing about the absurdity that I find myself in, here's the links to my story and the new chapter for anyone curious.

New Chapter: My Succubus Roommate Chapter 39
Story: My Succubus Roommate

longer

Balls
Probably not cause my story isn't exactly what I would call the most friendly to casual readers with how much symbolism, metaphors, and foreshadowing I put in my story.
You're kinda egoing here. Readers on SH are not actually all that stupid. If you look at the stories with the most views, a good amount of them are actually well written pieces of work, not monkey brained power fantasies. Sure there are some questionable novels, but there's a very large number of good works.

I assure you that you can reach 100k views with enough effort, it's not as big as you think. But don't be like those authors that do poorly and blame everything on "tHE rEADerS ArE tOO StuPID TO aPprEciATE mY WriTING."

Besides, the tags and genres you have for your story are good so you won't get ignored like tragedy or mystery stories.
30k people looked at my story
Oh and that's not how views work exactly. A single person can rack up multiple views. But congratulations in any case.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
You're kinda egoing here. Readers on SH are not actually all that stupid. If you look at the stories with the most views, a good amount of them are actually well written pieces of work, not monkey brained power fantasies. Sure there are some questionable novels, but there's a very large number of good works.

I assure you that you can reach 100k views with enough effort, it's not as big as you think. But don't be like those authors that do poorly and blame everything on "tHE rEADerS ArE tOO StuPID TO aPprEciATE mY WriTING."

Besides, the tags and genres you have for your story are good so you won't get ignored like tragedy or mystery stories.

Oh and that's not how views work exactly. A single person can rack up multiple views. But congratulations in any case.
Sorry I didn't mean it like that. If I came off as egotistical, I didn't mean to. I've heard that the reader base here is pretty casual and my definition of casual is just people reading for a story that doesn't have much meaning beyond what's on the surface. By that I mean that a story can be well written and have good structure, plot, characters, and all the other things, but there's not much under the surface. I'm not saying that they can't spot and appreciate that stuff, just that they want stuff that doesn't require going back and reading a story multiple times to catch stuff and get the full experience, which is why lots of people diss on classics because they want a story first rather than something that's going to need them to reread over and over to understand everything.

Also how do views work then? I'm under the impression that anyone that's been on the story page counts as a view. And whether or not it's an impressive achievement normally, it's still important to me cause I've never had that many people see my story before, whether they even read it or not.

longer

Balls
I'm not saying that they can't spot and appreciate that stuff, just that they want stuff that doesn't require going back and reading a story multiple times to catch stuff and get the full experience, which is why lots of people diss on classics because they want a story first rather than something that's going to need them to reread over and over to understand everything.
People can enjoy things without rereading for the full experience. Some stories have added value in that rereading leads to a better understanding, but oftentimes these stories are already enjoyable the first time through. But regardless, a story's value should not rest SOLELY on the rereading experience. You need to get them to read it the first time. Like how Matrix is be a metaphor for being transgender if you look into it, but it's still got great acting and cool bullet time.

In my personal experience, I don't go on SH with the mindset that I'm reading something that will require me to hobble my pace to fully understand it like my biochem textbooks. I expect something that can be read at a fairly decent pace. Even many "classics" are completely understandable and easy to read for most people. Gatekeeping by making it require unnecessary time to read is just fucking stupid.
Also how do views work then? I'm under the impression that anyone that's been on the story page counts as a view. And whether or not it's an impressive achievement normally, it's still important to me cause I've never had that many people see my story before, whether they even read it or not.
Someone else will have a more concise and accurate answer, so I'll have to leave you hanging.

taesijr123

Meanwhile, here I am happy with only 100k. [It took forever to reach.]

I stopped writing because my story writing skill sucks ass. [Just be glad yer getting lot's of views it means your story is gewd.]
I'm quite amazed I made a big story with so many error's that makes me feel like deleting the little shit as it felt like it was the stain of my life.
But I kept it there cuz maybe someone liked it.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
Congratulation!

If I keep this up, I can probably have 50k by the end of march or early april.
i don't think this is how it worked, but sure 😆

also @longer there's no need to attack the OP like that, it's obvious that he's just excited for something that happened first time for him. geez what a party pooper. try to become a decent human being, would you?

longer

Balls
Congratulation!

i don't think this is how it worked, but sure 😆

also @longer there's no need to attack the OP like that, it's obvious that he's just excited for something that happened first time for him. geez what a party pooper. try to become a decent human being, would you?
Yeah me pointing out my disagreements with his complaints about people not appreciating literary elements really is such a personal attack. Makes me such a horrible human being if you think about it. Totally ignore the fact that I did offer my congrats as well as assure him that his goal was attainable.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
also @longer there's no need to attack the OP like that, it's obvious that he's just excited for something that happened first time for him. geez what a party pooper. try to
>attack

All @longer is doing is rectifying OP's views on SH's demographic and telling him how views work. It's not exactly fair either when OP insinuates the site's readers, which is MORE than half of us, can't understand symbolism and foreshadowing on a casual basis. If anything, this is as far as an equal exchange gets. If that's enough to be considered below a "decent human being", then so be it. Best that OP gets informed now rather than to find out the hard way down the line.

And it isn't like longer's any wrong either. With a title like MY SUCCUBUS ROOMMATE with the first 3 tags being Adult, Comedy and Ecchi, it would've been a miracle had OP not gotten sky rocketing views. Not to take any credit away from OP's writing and consistency, but the factors are there.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Meanwhile, here I am happy with only 100k. [It took forever to reach.]

I stopped writing because my story writing skill sucks ass. [Just be glad yer getting lot's of views it means your story is gewd.]
I'm quite amazed I made a big story with so many error's that makes me feel like deleting the little shit as it felt like it was the stain of my life.
But I kept it there cuz maybe someone liked it.
Yeah, I'm still surprised how I even got those views in the first place. Seriously, despite me editing for hours, people could still look at my story and think english is my second language when it isn't. I wish I could hire a professional editor, but sadly I'm broke af.

D

Deleted member 57675

Congrats. Personal opinion, didn't seem like an ego post. Seen quite a few around here have worried whether their story will get many views depending on the type of story they wrote. Anyone would be excited if they reached that many views.

it's every view on every extension of your novel. so, the main page, glossary, statistics, and every chapter.
Probably not cause my story isn't exactly what I would call the most friendly to casual readers with how much symbolism, metaphors, and foreshadowing I put in my story.
you'd be surprised. readers just don't comment often. i had one guy who accurately identified two characters - one was based off a cheetah and the other a jaguar - solely from the dark patches on their ears and tails, keeping in mind that i never explicitly mentioned it

Last edited:

longer

Balls
Seriously, despite me editing for hours, people could still look at my story and think english is my second language when it isn't
Having read a bit of your story, I strongly disagree. Not everyone expects a native speaker to be pumping out Pulitzer quality works. And minor errors are fine, you're human, we all are.

D

Deleted member 57675

Yeah, I'm still surprised how I even got those views in the first place. Seriously, despite me editing for hours, people could still look at my story and think english is my second language when it isn't. I wish I could hire a professional editor, but sadly I'm broke af.
I think you need to have a lil confidence in your writing. You're in the I can't believe this excited mode right now. Just keep going.

None of us are perfect. Even native english speaker/writers- when you look at what some wrote, its 2nd grade level. So you're doing fine.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
>attack

All @longer is doing is rectifying OP's views on SH's demographic and telling him how views work. It's not exactly fair either when OP insinuates the site's readers, which is MORE than half of us, can't understand symbolism and foreshadowing on a casual basis. If anything, this is as far as an equal exchange gets. If that's enough to be considered below a "decent human being", then so be it. Best that OP gets informed now rather than to find out the hard way down the line.

And it isn't like longer's any wrong either. With a title like MY SUCCUBUS ROOMMATE with the first 3 tags being Adult, Comedy and Ecchi, it would've been a miracle had OP not gotten sky rocketing views. Not to take any credit away from OP's writing and consistency, but the factors are there.
Yeah, again I'mma aoplogize for that. I wrote this in a hertbeat after I saw it reach 30k then immediately posted it without rereading. If I did I could have caught how stupid I sound. Like, I'm not saying that casual readers don't understand stuff like that, its just that they would rather read stuff rather surface level and not patronizing. If I'm wrong about the general readerbase here, then I sincerely apologize about that as well. I'm still fairly new here, only joining this december and still have a lot to learn about the site.

longer

Balls
Yeah, again I'mma aoplogize for that. I wrote this in a hertbeat after I saw it reach 30k then immediately posted it without rereading. If I did I could have caught how stupid I sound. Like, I'm not saying that casual readers don't understand stuff like that, its just that they would rather read stuff rather surface level and not patronizing. If I'm wrong about the general readerbase here, then I sincerely apologize about that as well. I'm still fairly new here, only joining this december and still have a lot to learn about the site.
Many funny generalizations can be made about the readerbase here. There are definitely some very outspoken apes, but I'd say that the average isn't as stupid as we like to joke about.

Another thing is that you should never put down people when you're trying to lift yourself up. I think it's great that you're hitting good views, but no need to create an excuse in case you don't reach 100k views. Be confident, don't put others down. This advice works really well for dating.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Congrats, that's awesome. I am also writing at chap 30, but I only got 2000+. My grammar is good, and the story, have its charms. Care to share your tricks?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Nah, you didn't need to apologize for this. Hell, anyone would be excited for 30k views; just that some other stuff would be said amongst all the excitement. Can't blame you. You're barely here for 3 months and you're already on a roll. Hell, I've been writing since 2019 and I haven't breached 10k.

I look forward to seeing you on the Trending Tab, my guy. Keep it up.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Congrats, that's awesome. I am also writing at chap 30, but I only got 2000+. My grammar is good, and the story, have its charms. Care to share your tricks?
I honestly don't know. The only thing I can say is just keep writing. If I knew why and how I got that much then Id share how.

Ymadthepirate

Professional Bitch Faggot in da house
Jesus christ I've only been writing it for 2 months but my story already has 39 chapters and 30k views. I didn't think I'd actually get that much so quickly. I have to admit, it's kind of mind boggling that 30k people looked at my story. Not exactly read it cause probably less than half of that number actually read the first chapter. The others just clicked on the page. But still, they saw it and its still weird to think about. If I keep this up, I can probably have 50k by the end of march or early april. Which is insane to me.

I'm hoping that by the end of my story then I'll have at least 100k views. That's kind of what I'm hoping for. Who knows, maybe with some luck I can get onto trending. Probably not cause my story isn't exactly what I would call the most friendly to casual readers with how much symbolism, metaphors, and foreshadowing I put in my story.

Anyway, enough of me gushing about the absurdity that I find myself in, here's the links to my story and the new chapter for anyone curious.

New Chapter: My Succubus Roommate Chapter 39
Story: My Succubus Roommate
Very impressive