Reply to reviews

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
How about making it so that you can write reply for reviews? Often time the author want to clarify something their reviewers got wrong... or just to correct something objective wrong about their novel.

Of course if you don't want the review section to be flooded with comments, you can make it so that only the author can reply to reviews, and the author can only write one comment. (but they can still edit it.)

So basically the author's review of the reviews.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I always get the urge to thank people who give me one-star ratings, but I wouldn't want to get carried away with too many words. A simple like on the review is enough.

J_Chemist

True, but then you can just give them more bad ratings. Toxic authors can easily create even more toxic readers. Just look at JK Rowling.
I second this. You can also get an idea of a bad story anyways if there are multiple bad reviews, regardless of the Author's response.

I would like the ability to say something, whether it's in defense of the novel or otherwise. However, I also get great satisfaction in the ability to Thumbs Down a review. The quiet contest of what a Reviewer says without fully telling them why I disagree and letting them simmer in it is very satisfying.

So if a reply button is added, I also would like to request a dislike button!

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
How about making it so that you can write reply for reviews? Often time the author want to clarify something their reviewers got wrong... or just to correct something objective wrong about their novel.

Of course if you don't want the review section to be flooded with comments, you can make it so that only the author can reply to reviews, and the author can only write one comment. (but they can still edit it.)

So basically the author's review of the reviews.
This seems really good in theory, but I feel in execution this would go poorly.

I am too jaded and feel too many out there would go and cry bully their reviewers.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!

I am too jaded and feel too many out there would go and cry bully their reviewers.
they are already doing it anyways. Many authors bully their reviewers in their profile pages. Some even edit the synopsis of their story to trash on their reviewers

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Not a bad idea, but I think that would also allow toxic authors to berate people who gave them bad ratings.
Then the potential readers will also be able to find out the bad temperament of the author.\

they are already doing it anyways. Many authors bully their reviewers in their profile pages. Some even edit the synopsis of their story to trash on their reviewers
Then report it. That’s harassment.

IdleYoungMaster

Upvoted. It can help the authors to clarify some points that the reviewers/readers got wrong. Though there might be some demerits, as stated above, I can see that it'll help authors more than harm them. Also, this feature is available in some sites and I saw that it is doing well (like how reviewers get that realization after the author's clarification).

D

Deleted member 54065

Agree to this. I've experienced getting reviews where the reader (or nitpicker) would get the ideas/aspects of the story wrong, then proceed to lash out at the reviews. The negative effect of this is that, a lot of readers will turn away once they saw the reviews, and the author got nothing else to do except to swallow the 'unfair' criticism.

While there is the part where the author--given the ability to answer reviews--might reply in the most vicious manner, well, it's his/her fault. Like other thread replies here, it will only show his/her attitude when it comes to his/her readers, and will serve as a 'warning' to others. If I would suggest to remedy this potential trouble, I'd recommend limiting the replies to the review, like the reader puts up the review, and the author is only allowed to answer it one time.

And yes, don't allow the erasure of the reviews like in WebNovel. The author may report the feedback should they wish, but don't give them the ability to delete reviews.