Request for contest requirements to be harder!

EnvyHydra889

Alot of the contractors seem to like sticking by their prefer tags or genres which makes it feel dull or sometimes just copys with a twist to allow it to enter.

I'm not saying that these writers can't come up with orginal ideas, they sure can. But their unwillingness to step out of their genres stops their originality from flowing sometimes.

My idea is by forcing these authors out into a new field, they can grow. A perfect example would be the space colony one. If it was only that, than those that never written these types of novel will have to explore a new field that may or may not lead into a died end. But coming out of that they will have a new found understanding of a genre and widden their view for a moment.

Idk, i came here to be salty about the fact that the competition is still filled with generic things.

Also i don't really know what i'm doing here.
d508e64104aa44c178e926c6142a98d8_6339985206679620913.jpg

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Honestly yeah, sci-fi genre needs some love. Not that I'm exactly helping with what I'm writing. I think most writers don't take the 3rd one because sci-fi genres require some detailed explanation of how things work. I tried writing sci-fi once, my brain hurt a lot. Meanwhile, LitRPG is like "this skill does that because system". Not saying that LitRPG is a lazy genre. But yeah, I realized not much people take the sci-fi theme.

King_Vaelin

I'm actually writing a sci-fi story for the contest. Never did sci-fi before, but I've been inspired recently by Tron, Cyberpunk, Bladerunner, and all of that. I am a little discouraged by the fact that the more generic and trendy genres easily get all the attention and readers, but at the same time I understand why. People want what they're used to. Not a lot of people will read something outside of their preferred genres even if they're good stories.

Personally I'm not too big on what's trending lately. A lot of it is rehashed and poorly executed. Same song but different tunes all across the board. I've read a dozen stories that all seem unique on the surface but boil down to the same thing at its core. Not to say I'm any better, but I strive to be unique as an Author new to Scribbehub.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Alot of the contractors seem to like sticking by their prefer tags or genres which makes it feel dull or sometimes just copys with a twist to allow it to enter.

I'm not saying that these writers can't come up with orginal ideas, they sure can. But their unwillingness to step out of their genres stops their originality from flowing sometimes.

My idea is by forcing these authors out into a new field, they can grow. A perfect example would be the space colony one. If it was only that, than those that never written these types of novel will have to explore a new field that may or may not lead into a died end. But coming out of that they will have a new found understanding of a genre and widden their view for a moment.

Idk, i came here to be salty about the fact that the competition is still filled with generic things.

Also i don't really know what i'm doing here.
View attachment 8773
Lol thats not going to force anything. People just wont do the contest then. Sure there will still be people who do. But how many of us even bother to begin with? Now there's even less of a reason for us to care.

I dont give a fuck about bragging rights. You want me to join a contest, you gotta give me good incentive. Otherwise y'alls can fuck off, cuz this Arrogant young Beefcake got other shit to do

ThatOne

Lol thats not going to force anything. People just wont do the contest then. Sure there will still be people who do. But how many of us even bother to begin with? Now there's even less of a reason for us to care.

I dont give a fuck about bragging rights. You want me to join a contest, you gotta give me good incentive. Otherwise y'alls can fuck off, cuz this Arrogant young Beefcake got other shit to do
Also because lazy :D

SailusGebel

The thing is if you ban harem, isekai, litrpg, smut, and so on, no one will read those novels. We would have a contest where the winner would have at most 50 thousand views by the end of the contest. You can't force readers to read something they don't like. However, without readers, authors won't grow. They wouldn't understand where they were right or wrong. There are countless threads on these forums asking for feedback because readers don't necessarily read novels WITHOUT certain genres and tags.

Your idea is good. However, when there is nothing to gain from the contest, no one will bother participating. At least right now, you can hop onto this train and use the contest tag for publicity reasons. Profiting from more popular novels.

EnvyHydra889

It's not a good or bad thing that it deter people from the contest. Sure there are people who will refuse to do it but this is sort of upside for creators that really wants to make a name but can't because their novels get flooded by the novels created by authors that already had a good amount of follower.

By getting rid of so of those people it will give them a higher chance to stand out and get notice.
Same, same

SailusGebel

It's not a good or bad thing that it deter people from the contest. Sure there are people who will refuse to do it but this is sort of upside for creators that really wants to make a name but can't because their novels get flooded by the novels created by authors that already had a good amount of follower.

By getting rid of so of those people it will give them a higher chance to stand out and get notice.

Same, same
Then it's not about stricter rules. It's about banning all the authors who already have a large number of readers. It as well doesn't solve the problem that READERS simply won't care about the contest. I mean, si-fi isn't popular here. It's a fact. So how can a contest meant for authors make READERS read those works? It's not like a reader sees a contest going on and immediately decides to read all the participants' novels.

And lastly, I'm not trying to shame you or anything. Ehem, but... How should I say this? Do you consider perhaps sponsoring the contest to implement those stricter rules? Everyone can come up with a good idea. But what about supplementing the idea with a bigger prize pool? You know, to motivate the participants. I mean, if you do want it that much... You can make a contest of your own? :blob_hmm_two:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Isn't that just an handicap though? :blob_frown: Then the contest wouldn't even be a contest at all, it'd be an easy win for them.... which was what you claimed you didn't want in the first place for a DIFFERENT party.

Sorry man, gotta call it when I see it

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Same, same
eliminating authors with a large fanbase does seem a good reason. Since they'd either drop out of doing the contest, or have to change their styles if they really do want that clout from doing well in it.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
If you want to tackle bias without a forced handicap - use an anonymous submission style. Either have a "contest profile" that aggregates all stories under one name. Or request authors to make temporary competition accounts.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
This thread is interesting. I like that more people are trying to test the limits of the contest. However, we all know that Scribblehub readers love RPGLit and Iseakai. There's nothing wrong with it and taking those away will reduce traffic to the contest as a whole. I'm all for seeing some variety in the contest though so I support the original poster of this topic.

It does get a bit dry seeing the same kind of stories on top of each contest.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
Honestly yeah, sci-fi genre needs some love. Not that I'm exactly helping with what I'm writing. I think most writers don't take the 3rd one because sci-fi genres require some detailed explanation of how things work. I tried writing sci-fi once, my brain hurt a lot. Meanwhile, LitRPG is like "this skill does that because system". Not saying that LitRPG is a lazy genre. But yeah, I realized not much people take the sci-fi theme.
I disagree, you can be very lazy with sci-fi you just have to do what star trek did. Which is use sudo-science explanations.