Respect As A Writer

Yorth

Swordman
For me, being respected as a good writer is my ultimate goal. It would be cool making money in the process or having my books serialized as film, mangas or animes. However, all of that pales when compared to the feeling of knowing that you're good at your craft and that your peers respect you for it.

I'm curious about you guys' thoughts on the matter. What would make you respect an author? What's your dream as one? And where do you wanna be two to three years from now?

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
An author earns my respect when they can construct a story in which they've carefully planned out the entire thing in a cohesive way, such that when you look back, you can notice all the little hints you missed. My dream is to construct a story like that, and I am in no way close to that. Maybe one day.

FireflyFanatic

Rawr. Trans rights.
In my opinion, what I like to see from an author on SH is consistency. If they consistently put out good quality work with 1) good grammar, 2) original, fulfilling plot, and 3) timely releases, I can come to respect an author quite easily. If you add in the fact of having a large amount of content, such as a few completed and/or ongoing stories (of decent length), I become a genuine fan.

LWFlouisa

I don't want fame, as long as I'm respected by the few friends / readers that know me well.

I prefer to see the work and not the writer. I don't mean that in the sense of don't be preachy, I mean that the work should stand alone on its own merits.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Guess I'm the pragmatist in the bunch. Idealism in wanting respect is all nice and well but I want the monetary value also. Guess I'm greedy that way. I want both fame and fortune. Silly me.

I respect Authors that write something I like, and keep it going 'til its complete. It's not easy to find stories that I can get into. I'm really grateful to these Authors; their stories made my day.

As an Author, I just want to write something I like, so if I can't find them, I just have to write them, to keep myself from getting bored to death.

In the future, I'm not really sure. I just want to enjoy life and chill, I guess.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I respected Authors that wrote a story that I can come back and enjoy endlessly. If the second re-read gave me more insight into the story, then they've earned my respect.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
For me, being respected as a good writer is my ultimate goal. It would be cool making money in the process or having my books serialized as film, mangas or animes. However, all of that pales when compared to the feeling of knowing that you're good at your craft and that your peers respect you for it.

I'm curious about you guys' thoughts on the matter. What would make you respect an author? What's your dream as one? And where do you wanna be two to three years from now?
If they can write a story that can make you forget that it's fictional and make you really believe and care about it. A lot of good planning will also help.

Jakotheshadows

Being able to write a full universe that can support further novels, without losing out on the quality, online authors often end up with one-hit wonders and that makes sense, but if you can keep writing and not just repeat the story with a slightly futuristic setting, and instead set up new characters and expand on that universe that's what I would respect in an author.

mrsimple

Writer
For me, I had wanted to just get what's in my head out while it was still intact. I've only been writing for a year and a half. Started April of last year and only managed to consistently write for that early quarter of time. Then I regained some sanity, but... Yeah, I don't really mind being respected. I just want what is left of my thoughts someplace else.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
As an author, i really like if i can stick to one story and continue to improve rather than thinking of a new thing and forget the old one. What is the use of having great ideas if you never finish them? Thats basically my own problems whenever i try to write a story and do not stray from it.

Thinking up ideas at first comes easy but after a while, you might think of a better story and abandon the current one. Personally, i'm better off writing one-shots since most of my novels aren't completed.

Like the first novel i wrote on RRL, it really got my potential as a writer fired up and at that time where Isekai wasn't mostly popularized, i really full went crazy on the dark hero settings but because of my limited time and bad reviews i got, i decided to shift to another story to attract different kinds of readers.

Because of that, my story ideas went wild that i could barely keep up releasing a single chapter because i spread my ideas too wide. At first getting recognition as a good writer wasn't my interest but because of my inferiory complex, i was too blinded to get attention and realizing that i became a lazy writer after that.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Eh. I write what I want, how i want. Whether people respect me or think im a "good writer" doesn't matter to me worth a damn. Good is wholly subjective anyway. Standards are subjective. No use worrying about it. What really matters is if people enjoy your work.

Of course, things like decent grammar are just things you should hold your own self to. People needs their own standards, need to have that respect for themselves. Your story can be a shit storm but at least you would get to say, "heyy my grammar is on point tho"

I do have a bit stricter standards as a reader. But as a writer i couldn't give the slightest Fuk as to whether people hate my stuff. I mean if they like it it's all well and good. Not as if it's something i need, however.

I can appreciate if they enjoy what i put out, since that's the only reason i make it public. Cuz i think maybe they will like the journey too. I just don't feel a need to have their validation, you know? And i think that's best. If i minded it would just polute my works with feelings of "i should do it this way or they won't like me" and fuck that shit bro. This Venerable Self don't roll like that.

TLCsDestiny

I've thought about this and thought about this and really am not sure how to write my answer without being nasty to humans...
I think respect has somehow disappeared throughout the years and so...I don't care too much for it.
I write because I like to write!
I'll leave it there...

Last edited:

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
...I think I'm probably in a similar boat is @mrsimple and @TLCsDestiny!

I don't really have too strong of aspirations (...I don't really think it's realistic for me in either case...), so I to me I write to breath a story to life!

Respect and appreciation is certainly nice, but for me I think I just have a bunch of words I want to share. :blob_no::blob_no::blob_no: