Ringdom person tries to recruit me

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
07C2A032-F500-4D5E-B268-77BCCC298543.jpeg

Some person, named Amyy who literally spelt their name wrong, joined my discord server and said Hi😃. And later sent me this message in PMs.

This makes me ask, what do you know about Ringdom. And I know this is SUS

Attachments

• 59E6E08A-1279-4F0E-A7C9-947C166AAF81.jpeg
    59E6E08A-1279-4F0E-A7C9-947C166AAF81.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 49

Jemini

Yeah, this sounds a lot like those guys over on Webnovel.

Try bringing up something negative about the CCP, see what this person does. If they poof into the ether, then it was a Chinese company trying to steal your IP.

Vnator

Yeah, this sounds a lot like those guys over on Webnovel.

Try bringing up something negative about the CCP, see what this person does. If they poof into the ether, then it was a Chinese company trying to steal your IP.

-100 social credits :s_frown:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
View attachment 10020
Some person, named Amyy who literally spelt their name wrong, joined my discord server and said Hi😃. And later sent me this message in PMs.

This makes me ask, what do you know about Ringdom. And I know this is SUS
You fell for their trap! They already signed the contract with your signature when you responded :blob_popcorn_two:

Vnator

Yo, I literally just got the same message! What a coincidence! I'll check back here in the morning to see what y'all have dug up. Otherwise I'll be taking a deep dive investigation with detective vnator!

Yo, I literally just got the same message! What a coincidence! I'll check back here in the morning to see what y'all have dug up. Otherwise I'll be taking a deep dive investigation with detective vnator!
I got something similar a while back(though not from an editor) and did a bit of investigating. the info was from this forum actually, and reddit as well.
either way it's similar to webnovel(handing over story rights).
And if I remember correctly, it's also owned by the same company - though I'm not 100% sure about this.

Jemini

I got something similar a while back(though not from an editor) and did a bit of investigating. the info was from this forum actually, and reddit as well.
either way it's similar to webnovel(handing over story rights).
And if I remember correctly, it's also owned by the same company - though I'm not 100% sure about this.
The fact they're contacting everyone but haven't buzzed me about it lends potential validity to this.

I insert anti-plajurism tactics into my writing. For most countries, this is as simple as putting "all rights reserved" status on your rights status section. For Chinese companies though, where IP rights are not respected like they are in the rest of the world, this means cleverly inserting various words and phrases that the CCP does not like into your work.

Anything with cultivation in it, I try to mention Falun gang anywhere I can insert it as an example of an IRL cultivation practice. If it doesn't have cultivation, I have to get a little more clever, but I try to still drop some kind of phrase that a non-Chinese reader would just glance over and not even care about, but anyone living in China would have the fear of death on them to even think about falsely declaring this work theirs simply because that phrase exists somewhere in it.

Vnator

I'm back after a quick dive! Looking into the website and company some more, I was able to find more about them! The website's owned by a company based out of Singapore named Stary, and here's the basic info on the company: https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/stary-f536

It looks pretty legit, albeit small and new. A lot of the works on their site are also sold rather than free to read, so I'm guessing the stories they're scouting us out for will be paid rather than outright free. A lot of those works are also heavily international, so plenty of languages are present besides English like (what looks to me like) Arabic, Filipino, and even Spanish. Also there's a TON of romance novels, so I don't see how our works would fit there very well. Either way, it looks 100x better than webnovel, but I'm still going to err on the side of caution.

More google-fu and I found this blog post talking about it! https://authorchristopherdschmitz.w...ublishers-also-known-as-ficfun-and-stary-ltd/

I'm probably going to say no, mainly because my first story is pretty mediocre but has a ton of potential in the rewrite and its sequels. Also, I'm just doing this for fun and don't want to hand over any control unless it's to someone I can absolutely trust. With them apparently being really vague in their contracts, I don't think I can. Hope this all helps!

Last edited:

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
I’ve also wish to be famous, where I get spammed with selling my novel to shady places like webnovel

Vnator

More looking into it, the company is based in China and has like half a dozen different shell companies and BS locations to hide their actual nature. We've got a US branch that's located in the middle of a lake in michigan, its parent in the Seychelles which is known to house a ton of shell companies (like the Panama Papers thing, I guess), then what looks like Singapore, but above that is a company in Hong Kong, whose parent is deeper in mainland Taiwan.

With so many branches and shells, it's definitely not worth it. If they take your work for a ride, good luck figuring out who to sue, so it all looks like an even bigger scam than Webnovel at this rate :P

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I usually receive about one of these once a week at the very least on Webnovel or RoyalRoad. I usually ignore them as they sound like a scam. One can usually tell whether it's a scam or not based on how they write.

WriterOfVeralis

I've gotten multiple offers even while I was publishing the story on Webnovel by Webnovel themselves.

The problem isn't exactly releasing the novel on their platform more than accepting their offer for a exclusive or non-exclusive contract. Generally, you more than likely would not get accepted as a paid writer if you don't have a large number of chapters since most of these are bots that spam stories that start getting larger viewerships, even if you do the return is generally not worth it.

I published on Webnovel because of the supportive audiences that give pretty good feedback and it is a pretty decent website with a huge viewership minus the whole pay to read thing, just don't accept any contract that doesn't have the offers and projected income clearly listed from the getgo.

Although if they aren't well known, maybe just don't.