Romance genre or romance subplot tag?

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I've been pondering this question over the last few days and wanted to ask for some opinions: Where do you draw the line between adding romance as a genre and using the romance subplot tag?

I usually write romance novels where the relationship has a significant part in the plot so I never had to worry about that. I'm not as clear on that with what I'm working on lately though. In that story, the couple ends up getting together at the very end and they don't spend a significant amount of time together throughout the story. In fact, they don't even meet face-to-face until the later part of the novel.
I looked up the description of the tag over on NU and it reads "When the story has some male-female or other similar couple relationships, but not enough to warrant a romance genre tag. Can be used in tandem with Harem. Usually for when relationships are created without any further growth or expansion of said relationship, though this isn't always the case."
I feel like this leaves wide open what a romance subplot is or isn't. In regard to my story, they would still grow from literal strangers to one person feeling responsible for the other to finally getting into a relationship which kind of is growth relationship-wise but not in the sense I had this with my other stories (where they would usually grow as a couple as well).
I'm kind of stuck on this because I feel like giving the romance genre might make romance-readers disappointed because it's not as much romance as they might have expected, while the romance subplot tag might be too little to capture what is going on and non-romance readers might feel cheated because there's too much romance in their non-romance story. So, hoping for some of your perspectives to help with making a decision!

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I don't think a clear line can be drawn at all. Any attempt will inevitably leave someone feel cheated because they have a different one.

That aside, I can offer a rule of thumb: Would you read it if the romance was the only thing you cared about?

Ryuujisan

If a novella is combat oriented like a typical battle shonen for example and romance is, but it's not the driving shit axis so fast chyb a good example is naruto. It's up to you if the romance is important to the plot or just sauce for the pizza without the sauce the pizza can be eaten

SuperHeiyan

What is the main driving force of the novel? If it's relationship especially of romantic kind and focused on emotional attachments among people then it's romance. If it's only serve suplementary role, a reason to have some of protagonists adventures, then it is romance sub-plot.

yansusustories

That aside, I can offer a rule of thumb: Would you read it if the romance was the only thing you cared about?
Hm, good question. It's a bit difficult because I like lots of romance in my novels but usually read more for the plot :sweat_smile: I guess that does speak for this maybe being more of a subplot after all ... But yes, maybe it's not that important of a distinction anyway just as you said.

What is the main driving force of the novel? If it's relationship especially of romantic kind and focused on emotional attachments among people then it's romance. If it's only serve suplementary role, a reason to have some of protagonists adventures, then it is romance sub-plot.
Actually, I'm not sure how to answer this. The plot is kind of a 'hero saving damsel-in-distress' which is a romance trope but then they don't know each other so it's not really romantically-driven in the beginning (it's more that it's related to the MC's job). The whole storyline is the MC trying to get clues to finally save the beauty though and over time, he learns more about the love interest that way. Also, there are additional parts that I feel play into the romance-aspect like the MC hashing out his relationship with the love interest's father. I guess you could say though that it's just one big adventure for the MC and he would also do all this if they didn't end up together in the end since it is tied to his job ...

hauntedwritings

I think that the Romantic Subplot tag is meant to be used when;
1. There exists/is an implied a romantic interest between characters that is never developed.
2. There exists a romantic plot but it is not the true focus of the story.
Edit: Similar to what has been said above. If your story ends once the romantic plot is finished, then it is a Romance. If the story continues regardless, it's a subplot (though both can technically be used if the romance takes center stage in one of the arcs...?).

JayDirex

Hm, good question. It's a bit difficult because I like lots of romance in my novels but usually read more for the plot :sweat_smile: I guess that does speak for this maybe being more of a subplot after all ... But yes, maybe it's not that important of a distinction anyway just as you said.

Actually, I'm not sure how to answer this. The plot is kind of a 'hero saving damsel-in-distress' which is a romance trope but then they don't know each other so it's not really romantically-driven in the beginning (it's more that it's related to the MC's job). The whole storyline is the MC trying to get clues to finally save the beauty though and over time, he learns more about the love interest that way. Also, there are additional parts that I feel play into the romance-aspect like the MC hashing out his relationship with the love interest's father. I guess you could say though that it's just one big adventure for the MC and he would also do all this if they didn't end up together in the end since it is tied to his job ...
Hi Yansu, been a while *hug* :blob_reach:

And, yeah. I see which way you're going. Hero saves Damsel (or in your case, maybe a handsome dude). Then they wind up working together for common good, they kinda grow on each other. Good times!

Def Romantic Sup-plot

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
The way I see it, if the whole story rotates about the relationship between two characters (or more) then I would consider it Romance; however, if their love and their story are something extra to the main plot then I would say it's a sub-plot.
A good example is the drama and manghwa "Business Proposal" that is fully based on their relationship, while for eg, in the anime Sword Art Online, where you do have romance but the whole plot doesn't rotate around it (if this comparison was bad, i'm sorry, i've just never fully seen SAO xD)

yansusustories

I think that the Romantic Subplot tag is meant to be used when;
1. There exists/is an implied a romantic interest between characters that is never developed.
2. There exists a romantic plot but it is not the true focus of the story.
Edit: Similar to what has been said above. If your story ends once the romantic plot is finished, then it is a Romance. If the story continues regardless, it's a subplot (though both can technically be used if the romance takes center stage in one of the arcs...?).
Yeah, I think my actual problem is that I am having trouble making clear to myself what the focus is. There is a goal other than the romance but it's tied together with the romance part. Like, imagine a fairytale where the knight goes to save the princess from the claws of a dragon. Is the dragon-slaying the focus there or is marrying the princess the focus? Fairytales would frame it as marrying the princess because that's what the hero sets out to do and that is kind of what happens in my story as well. And yes, it does end after them getting together, although that is also after the big evil is defeated so there's that.
Anyway, I'm not sure if I'd count a fairytale as a romance story in the first place just because they end up getting married in the end after he goes through all that trouble to save her, you know? Ah, I think it's mostly the absence of the love interest throughout the story that is making me doubt this ...

Hi Yansu, been a while *hug* :blob_reach:

And, yeah. I see which way you're going. Hero saves Damsel (or in your case, maybe a handsome dude). Then they wind up working together for common good, they kinda grow on each other. Good times!

Def Romantic Sup-plot
It has indeed and I see people are still dutifully dropping my second Su :sweat_smile: And yeah, definitely a handsome dude in this case. Although they don't really work together. He literally just gets saved, is kinda thrown into living together, and that's it. So ... interaction directly between them is kinda sparse which makes me suspect that this should be a subplot indeed although I'm super unsure :blob_teary:

The way I see it, if the whole story rotates about the relationship between two characters (or more) then I would consider it Romance; however, if their love and their story are something extra to the main plot then I would say it's a sub-plot.
A good example is the drama and manghwa "Business Proposal" that is fully based on their relationship, while for eg, in the anime Sword Art Online, where you do have romance but the whole plot doesn't rotate around it (if this comparison was bad, i'm sorry, i've just never fully seen SAO xD)
Unfortunately, I don't know either of them (well, I've heard of SAO, of course, but didn't watch it :sweat_smile:). I guess I'll take a look at them though. Maybe that'll help with determining this. I know, at the end of the day, it likely doesn't matter that much but I'd like to at least try to tag this right so I want to look at it from all directions ~

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Well, I'd usually just say, "If the focus of the story is Romance, then it's Romance... Otherwise, Romantic Subplot."

But you seem to be unsure of what the focus is, so... Just go with your guts? Tags and Genres are author-defined on Scribblehub, so it's fine if it's not perfect. Just choose whichever one you prefer and it will be alright~

BlackKnightX

I think it’s pretty clear in the wording. Romance as a genre is the main focus of the story. It focuses on the relationship between characters: how they begin, how they develop, how they almost break/completely break, how they get back, and how they are at the end. If the relationship is the main point, then it’s a romance genre.

On the other hand, a romance subplot is when the relationship and all the romance stuff are there but not as the main point of the story.

A story with a romance subplot might be about fighting monsters or saving the world or going on adventures but with the relationship and the romance mixed in, but the main focus is still the other things; romance genre is when the story revolves around the relationship of the two leads.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I would only add romance subplot tag if it happened to some side characters and did not the main ones but was still important to plot, or at least took up a significant enough amount of screen time. A special use case would be something like "sinister ex-girlfriend", where there were many relationships involving the main characters but the feelings of the main character had been false for the entirety of the story. Then I wouldn't feel it warranted adding a tag or a genre, though I would write something in the description. Otherwise, I would either add romance tag or add nothing instead, depending on circumstance.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If it's a central part of the story, use the romance tag, otherwise, just use the subplot tag to be safe.

From what you told us about the story, the romance might already fit if the MC already falls in love during the damsel in distress part. If MC falls in love when they learn more about the damsel, it might already qualify as romance.

I'd definitely put the subplot tag down if it's just love at first sight after saving the damsel. If one or both parties fall for each other during the plot and it's a big enough part of the story, just put down the romance tag.

yansusustories

Ah, looking at what everyone is saying, I think it should be the subplot tag in the end instead of the genre. While I do think the romance aspect is important to the story and interwoven with the rest, the main focus is probably more on searching for clues along the way. So it likely reads more like an adventure-type of story with romance as the background setting or something. I might change my mind when I've written more for this but so far, that'd be my result. Thanks for your help, everyone! I really couldn't have figured this out without everyone talking me through their perspective on this! :blob_aww:

JayDirex

Ah, looking at what everyone is saying, I think it should be the subplot tag in the end instead of the genre. While I do think the romance aspect is important to the story and interwoven with the rest, the main focus is probably more on searching for clues along the way. So it likely reads more like an adventure-type of story with romance as the background setting or something. I might change my mind when I've written more for this but so far, that'd be my result. Thanks for your help, everyone! I really couldn't have figured this out without everyone talking me through their perspective on this! :blob_aww:
Maybe mention it in the synopsis as well. Like as an aside. (Low key romantic subplot)

lambenttyto

I've been pondering this question over the last few days and wanted to ask for some opinions: Where do you draw the line between adding romance as a genre and using the romance subplot tag?
Personally I would like to see a romance in every single story I read. I like romance. If it takes up page time, then I would put the sub-genre tag in. Does it effect the characters in any way that makes them act differently regarding the main plot? If so, I would put the genre tag in.

yansusustories

Maybe mention it in the synopsis as well. Like as an aside. (Low key romantic subplot)
You know, that's a really good idea! Like, I can give the tag but then also give some additional explanation in the synopsis and maybe a note on the first chapter or so. That way, people would know better what to expect.

Personally I would like to see a romance in every single story I read.
Me too! :blob_aww: