Resolved Saving Drafts

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Something that is really annoying for me on the new forum is saving drafts on the forum. I'm used to NUF which already regularly saves my drafts. Plus the mobile version of SHF doesn't even have a save drafts button. Further, the save drafts button doesn't even work all the time (for reasons that I don't know), and it's frustrating to write a long post, only for something to crash/save button not work and it all get deleted.

Not sure whether this is a bug or you need a plugin so it's a new feature, but I would appreciate it if you find something to help. Right now I've begun entirely avoiding writing long posts on mobile and just using Word for them, which is annoying.

Tony

Staff member
Something that is really annoying for me on the new forum is saving drafts on the forum. I'm used to NUF which already regularly saves my drafts. Plus the mobile version of SHF doesn't even have a save drafts button. Further, the save drafts button doesn't even work all the time (for reasons that I don't know), and it's frustrating to write a long post, only for something to crash/save button not work and it all get deleted.

Not sure whether this is a bug or you need a plugin so it's a new feature, but I would appreciate it if you find something to help. Right now I've begun entirely avoiding writing long posts on mobile and just using Word for them, which is annoying.

Are you saying it's not saving drafts often enough? I just checked and the settings are similar to NUF which is set to save at every 60 seconds but I just reduced it to 30 seconds for these forums. Not sure why there's no draft buttons for mobile users though. That's weird.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Are you saying it's not saving drafts often enough? I just checked and the settings are similar to NUF which is set to save at every 60 seconds but I just reduced it to 30 seconds for these forums. Not sure why there's no draft buttons for mobile users though. That's weird.
Hmmm, I've just noticed that when I type a long post, ignore it for awhile, and then come back to it after awhile, when I reload the page the draft is gone. Not sure if the system just flushes drafts after awhile or Im doing something weird.

And yeah the no drafts button on mobile is just odd. Made me wonder if maybe Xenforo's new version was doing something different with drafts.

Tony

Staff member
Hmmm, I've just noticed that when I type a long post, ignore it for awhile, and then come back to it after awhile, when I reload the page the draft is gone. Not sure if the system just flushes drafts after awhile or Im doing something weird.

And yeah the no drafts button on mobile is just odd. Made me wonder if maybe Xenforo's new version was doing something different with drafts.

I edited the themes so the draft button is forced to show on mobile. The draft seems to save fine for me though. If it's not saving correctly for you,, maybe check your browser's console for errors.

On chrome, it's right click anywhere on the page -> "inspect" -> "console" tab. All of your errors should be listed there. It could be something (plugin) blocking it. I'm not familiar with other browsers but there should be a similar function.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I edited the themes so the draft button is forced to show on mobile. The draft seems to save fine for me though. If it's not saving correctly for you,, maybe check your browser's console for errors.

On chrome, it's right click anywhere on the page -> "inspect" -> "console" tab. All of your errors should be listed there. It could be something (plugin) blocking it. I'm not familiar with other browsers but there should be a similar function.
Yeah I'm not getting any errors. Though the lack of saving is irregular. It's only happened for me twice (unfortunately both times were when I was writing long posts) and it was well over a day between starting writing the post and posting the reply. It might just have been a rare glitch, since I haven't been able to replicate it.