Scared of Reading Comments

Cielo.C

I have social anxiety that breaks the barrier of the virtual world, too.... I thought I am "normal" online, I guess I'm not. Whenever I see a notification about my novel, I get ridiculously anxious and I feel like hyperventilating ( gimme the paper bag). I should thicken my face so I can endure being roasted and what-not. I know the moment I share my novel online, I'll get all kinds of responses, but that doesn't make me feel prepared lol:blob_shock::blob_shock::blob_shock::blob_shock:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I thought I am "normal" online, I guess I'm not. Whenever I see a notification about my novel, I get ridiculously anxious and I feel like hyperventilating ( gimme the paper bag). I should thicken my face so I can endure being roasted and what-not.
Quick Tip: Everyone thinks their normal online when in all honesty, they're far from it. Take the notifications as chances. Either a chance to get praise or a chance to know where you fucked up. Look at it in a good light. Brave the waves; sail the winds; man the boards and stay hydrated it's hot outside

Techcloud

I'm not sure you can ever be impervious to criticism, and maybe you wouldn't want to be - being arrogant and thick-skinned are not desirable characteristics. But I think you should remember that anyone can make a mean remark, but not everyone actually creates something. If you are part of the 10% of internet users who actually create content, you should be proud of that. Someone may not like what you have created, but you have still done more than most people. As for my own experiences I had once shared digital marketing service related post and I had been virtually attacked by the comment . So these are now happened and we should keep defending our controversy. digital marketing service

NirShrall

Yeah, I started once a story just for fun and it got 2,3k followers on RR in a very short period of time. I was pretty excited about it as I didnt expect that so many people will show interest in my little fantasy world. It really motivated me and I am writing stories ever since as a hobby, hoping to improve to the point I can publish my own book someday.
It was all nice and fine, on RR, as my story got more famous. Yet, the haters also started to appear the more popular my story got - and I call them hater because some people felt forced to commend on every chapter about how they want the protagonist to act this or that way.
Anyway, publishing my story slowly became frustrating as time passed because I felt that I had to please the haters as well. Now I see that this mindset was a bit dumb, but at that time I took it to heart and felt emotionally down due to the fact that none of the haters ever explained why they don't like this or that, and just criticized my work in a very, very blunt/mean way.

I eventually took my story down from RR and finished it without publishing it to the WWW so I can have my peace of mind.

Publishing your story on sites like Scribblehub or something simmilar is a good way to improve yourself as an author, as you got a lot of feedback from your readers. But it can also be fairly annoying with all these entitled brats running around that see themselves as omniscient experts.

What I have learned now is that you, as an author, should stay loyal to yourself and write your own shit in the way you like it. There will always be haters lurking in the shadows of their basements, posting negative comments wherever they can, but you will have an even bigger army of fans, and it is the fans that will support you! Even when you manage to appease a hater/troll, they will never support your work because they are envious souls for the most part. Supporting someone else isn't part of their cerebral programming, so it's a waste of time to invest resources in their direction.

atgongumerki

I would be glad someone would give feedback.
Without any feedback, I will never become better.

JayDirex

........ I beg for comments :cry: I deliberately ask questions sometimes in the end with Authors notes. But nobody leaves comments on SH.

I sometimes take it to mean my stuff is in that "Goldilocks zone" of "it's not bad" so no need for bad comments. Nor is it profound enough to grab and shake the reader and elicit a response. I have sadly accepted that my stuff is that anime you have on your queue that you just watch because the story is "not bad, hell, even underrated!", but you're really just waiting for your FAVORITE ANIME to update.

idk fml~ but, no use complaining until i can come up with a decent market strategy (oh please, who has time or money for that).

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
........ I beg for comments :cry: I deliberately ask questions sometimes in the end with Authors notes. But nobody leaves comments on SH.

I sometimes take it to mean my stuff is in that "Goldilocks zone" of "it's not bad" so no need for bad comments. Nor is it profound enough to grab and shake the reader and elicit a response. I have sadly accepted that my stuff is that anime you have on your queue that you just watch because the story is "not bad, hell, even underrated!", but you're really just waiting for your FAVORITE ANIME to update.

idk fml~ but, no use complaining until i can come up with a decent market strategy (oh please, who has time or money for that).

If I have time, I will give it a try. It saddens me to see commentless wastelands.:blob_teary:

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
I end up fearing being ripped apart or being frustrated to death by the comments. Intellectually I expect it. I'm not naive. You post stuff online and of course you're going to get comments like that, duh. It's part and parcel of making your work public.

Some of your readers won't really understand what they read. Not everyone online is fluent in English for one, and two not everyone is good at picking up foreshadowing, soft hints, or even the obvious. Sometimes you (any author) legitimately make mistakes that can be corrected.

People do feel empowered over the internet to say cruel things they wouldn't in person, all you can do to combat that is stay positive, try to explain when necessary without spoiling your own story.

If you are really scared about what the comments will say, nothing says you have to read or respond to them. A lot of times the people who really do enjoy your stories will handle the mean spirited comments for you.

Friend

... well am I? or not?
@queenofthefuzzybugs I used to worry (at least a small bit); now ... not so much.

At one point I had little to nothing in comments when starting out here (note, I was already known on RR) but coming here, and then suddenly getting a cruel left-field negatory comment, by one lone deadbeat user ― and a particular vicious one who'd go out one-starring ratings ― yeah okay that's so far the only comment I'd rapid-fire delete on sight.

The point being. Whether a deadbeat commenter is gonna stay a deadbeat commenter or not, I hold no grudges but wish him/her/it the best cockroach life he/she/it can have. But I can and will defend and protect my intellectual property, as much as can be, through eliminating cruel or useless comments. Would not any other author do the same for their own stories?

anactualchad

Whenever you think about people leaving needless comments like that, just put your head down and write more. We don't have the luxury of time to worry about those opinions!

Here's a relevant screen-grab from a little book I picked up some years ago:

diyhaters.png

Last edited:

JayDirex

Hi Hans, my stories are about gangsters and criminals, have no magic and are set on Earth (but they are still preposterous stories though) ^_^

1. Good Natured Math Teacher gets caught up with gangsters in NYC due to his student (story is completed)

2. Part 2 to that first story: Teen Assassin boy has to get help from Teen assassin girl that was in the first story (story is completed).

3. A new story about a wild pair of twin bounty hunters with a penchant for shootouts (ongoing, up to chapter 9)

@HansTrondheim

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Its amusing to me mostly. But then I've been honed debating with neo-communist wannabes, far left whiners, antifa sympathisers, the hypocrisy that is the black lives matter movement, and for some reason flat earthers. I don't really understand what their goals in politics are, those flat earthers.

D

Deleted member 29316

Hi Hans, my stories are about gangsters and criminals, have no magic and are set on Earth (but they are still preposterous stories though) ^_^

1. Good Natured Math Teacher gets caught up with gangsters in NYC due to his student (story is completed)

2. Part 2 to that first story: Teen Assassin boy has to get help from Teen assassin girl that was in the first story (story is completed).

3. A new story about a wild pair of twin bounty hunters with a penchant for shootouts (ongoing, up to chapter 9)

@HansTrondheim

Thanks for this!

Asami_Shirogane

Originally I was scared when I first started out on FF.net, now I mostly use this platform and the other one for my own imagination. Whether the users want to input their opinion on my works or not is up to them. I'm open for a civilized discussion if they so wish me to.