Scribblehub is not really writer friendly

AgnosticBeliever

I want to open the discussion of shortcomings scribblehub may have. My first concern is word count. Though not inherently bad word count says to new writers that longer means better. This is inherently not true and may lead to lackluster chapters. As the writer does not focus on the main goal of writing. When I write on google docs it is a totally different experience. Although I think it was nice for the site to add tools for writing, The main emphasis is on Word count. I would propose that word count be an optional choice. Such as on google docs where it is tedious to continuously check it therefore people are less likely to. Additionally is the fact that scribble hub troublesome UI in the author side. My main problem is that it forces you to create and decide the description title and cover before you make any headway into the novel itself. I myself would prefer if we were allowed to start writing and then when we wish publish these drafts in a public critique section before revising and creating a title, description, genre, etc. Therefore those are my glaring dislikes about writing on scribble hub. Although I have no problems with publishing. I have already published a bare-bones short story draft that I used for a course of mine and writing it on google docs helped me enter a zone of focus.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Scribblehub is easily the most writer friendly website I've found. WTF are you talking about. Pretty much everyone I know uses a different application to write then they just copy it into the website.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Wordcount is important, it helps you keep your chapters at a consistent length. Just stop looking at it if it bothers you.

Also, you can write at google docs and copy paste to scribblehub, so like... Eh?

And if you wanna write ahead before publishing... Then do so? Use google docs for that, then start publishing on Scribblehub once you wrote enough... And if you wanna get critique before officially publishing it on the main site, then the Story Feedback subforum is here for you.

Lastly... Put some spacing in your post. It's a pain to read a big block of text. If you do that on your novel, I can assure you nobody will read it.

D

Deleted member 57675

it forces you to create and decide the description title and cover before you make any headway into the novel itself. I myself would prefer if we were allowed to start writing and then when we wish publish these drafts in a public critique section before revising and creating a title, description, genre, etc.
Don't other sites also ask for description when creating a story? As for covers, its not mandatory on SH so unsure where it forces you to do that part.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I want to open the discussion of shortcomings scribblehub may have. My first concern is word count. Though not inherently bad word count says to new writers that longer means better. This is inherently not true and may lead to lackluster chapters. As the writer does not focus on the main goal of writing. When I write on google docs it is a totally different experience. Although I think it was nice for the site to add tools for writing, The main emphasis is on Word count. I would propose that word count be an optional choice. Such as on google docs where it is tedious to continuously check it therefore people are less likely to.
If it bothers you, use google docs.
You have the layout you want there already while trying to recreate this as a single person will be a fuckton of effort for something that will probably still fall short in some regard.
So by the end you'd have wasted development time that could have been better spent on features that you can't simply replace with external tools.

My main problem is that it forces you to create and decide the description title and cover before you make any headway into the novel itself.
The story only appears once you have posted a first chapter.
So you can have that on hold for as long as you like.

I myself would prefer if we were allowed to start writing and then when we wish publish these drafts in a public critique section before revising and creating a title, description, genre, etc. Therefore those are my glaring dislikes about writing on scribble hub. Although I have no problems with publishing. I have already published a bare-bones short story draft that I used for a course of mine and writing it on google docs helped me enter a zone of focus.
You go here, post a link to that google docs you either wrote your chapter in or can paste it into in a few seconds and ask people about their opinions.
Same as the above, why reinvent the wheel for minor conveniences?

I don't know how SH fares in review eagerness in comparison, since I'm not active on other writing sites, but automating the process doesn't sound promising in changing any shortcomings to me.

Last edited:

Temple

You mean the displayed word count is bad? But that's what readers are looking for. SH doesn't say to writers that longer is better, readership demands just simply want long stories (on any site with serialized works). There have been experiments of that on RoyalRoad (not sure if any were done here), but even 500 word chapters are fine if the story itself is long enough. Quite normal because we're in a culture of binge. Plus, longer works tell the readers they can trust the writer will stick around and not drop the story.

If you're looking for critique, hmmm, not sure about writing groups out there, but if we're talking about sites that publish novels, then RR should be "best" for that. You'll meet all kinds of people there. :blobrofl: However, if you're writing a short story and looking for feedback, then better to find a different site for that, one that caters to short stories.

bigbear51

I thought this was going to be another thread complaining about reader comments and ended up finding something even dumber.

1) There's nothing to indicate word count being better or worse. Just that it's tracked and shown to authors and readers alike. That's more than fair enough since people are interested in either longer or shorter chapters.

2) It's fine that they "force" you to write a description and title when making a story since everywhere else also does so. Not to mention you're not forced to stay with said description and title. You're free to change them whenever you actually come up with an idea for them.

3) The forums better if you want to share a rough draft before actually publishing. Aside from the fact that I'm not aware of any site that allows people to upload rough drafts before a finished product. It's more useful for everyone involved that it stay in the forum.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm also rather sad they removed my Lewd Poems collection from the search results. You can still click on the link to my signature to get to it or find it through my profile, though.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I want to open the discussion of shortcomings scribblehub may have. My first concern is word count. Though not inherently bad word count says to new writers that longer means better. This is inherently not true and may lead to lackluster chapters. As the writer does not focus on the main goal of writing.
As many have said, you can just ignore the word count if it is truly bothering you. If you think of any online writing site, guess what feature it is really likely to have? Word count. Word count helps readers. It helps them find out if the author is going to keep at a steady pace or not. It helps to decide on what novel you want to read. This is geared towards the interaction, or, should I say the "non-interaction" between author and reader.

To better explain that "interaction", I mean that just by looking at a story's word count, you can kind of guess what the novel's gonna be like. It can also help you know if the author continues at that same WPC (words per chapter) or not.

When I write on google docs it is a totally different experience. Although I think it was nice for the site to add tools for writing, The main emphasis is on Word count. I would propose that word count be an optional choice. Such as on google docs where it is tedious to continuously check it therefore people are less likely to.
How do I say this... Google Docs is a fundamentally different platform altogether. The development of something "like" it would take a lot of time. The best thing would be to just use the already-made Google Docs to work on your chapters. There just is no use in coding and implementing something that you can already achieve in a pre-made app. What we should be grateful for is the fact that we can even format text at all.

Some other writing sites, ahem, ahem, cough, cough, Webnovel, cough, cough, have so few formatting options it makes you wanna cry.

My main problem is that it forces you to create and decide the description title and cover before you make any headway into the novel itself. I myself would prefer if we were allowed to start writing and then when we wish publish these drafts in a public critique section before revising and creating a title, description, genre, etc. Therefore those are my glaring dislikes about writing on scribble hub. Although I have no problems with publishing. I have already published a bare-bones short story draft that I used for a course of mine and writing it on google docs helped me enter a zone of focus.

I believe that all writing sites cause you to make up a description. You need some type of blurb to allow readers to understand what you want to write about after all since their time spent reading your story is just as valuable as the time you spent writing it. Even so, you can just make up some short blurb like, "Nothing to see here" and send it for approval as you start writing new drafts for the story.

In that process, SH does not make you choose a cover. Many writers add their own covers so that they can attract readers, but there is no "force" making you create a cover for your story.

As for critique sections... just go to the Feedback sub-forum and post a link to a chapter or two of your story there.

And, by what I've read so far, you want SH to be more like Google Docs from the Author's perspective. However, we already can make the most out of what we already have and don't really need to. You can literally just go to Google Docs, write your chapters there, and publish them for your story here.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I want to open the discussion of shortcomings scribblehub may have. My first concern is word count. Though not inherently bad word count says to new writers that longer means better. This is inherently not true and may lead to lackluster chapters. As the writer does not focus on the main goal of writing. When I write on google docs it is a totally different experience. Although I think it was nice for the site to add tools for writing, The main emphasis is on Word count. I would propose that word count be an optional choice. Such as on google docs where it is tedious to continuously check it therefore people are less likely to. Additionally is the fact that scribble hub troublesome UI in the author side. My main problem is that it forces you to create and decide the description title and cover before you make any headway into the novel itself. I myself would prefer if we were allowed to start writing and then when we wish publish these drafts in a public critique section before revising and creating a title, description, genre, etc. Therefore those are my glaring dislikes about writing on scribble hub. Although I have no problems with publishing. I have already published a bare-bones short story draft that I used for a course of mine and writing it on google docs helped me enter a zone of focus.
Ai-chan frankly has never noticed the word count and it didn't bother Ai-chan at all. The word count only updates when you save it, not while you're writing.

As for having to decide the description, title and cover, frankly it never bothered Ai-chan. When Ai-chan writes on the website, the outline of the story, including the title and barebones description already exists. As for cover, you do not need to put it. Plenty of people don't put cover on their titles.

Then again, you can just do
Cover: None
Title: Nothing particular
Description: Don't know
Genre: Action

And then start writing. Your 'story' will not be approved, but it's still there. Then when you want to write, just save as Draft instead of Publish. Your story will not be checked and published unless you pressed publish. You now has a scratch board for all your writing needs. Ai-chan tried it just now. It works.

NobleTalon

tbh the tools on the site aren't really for writing but for editing.

You aren't supposed to write your whole chapter on scribblehub, just use any writing software, it can be scrivener, word, google doc or even notepad. Once you are done writing and ready to post, just use the editing tool on the site for last moment correction and editing if you forgot something.

Before writing any chapter I like to make its sketch on notepad, and then I start writing on writemonkey which is the same as notepad but with an auto save, wordcount and a chapters tab. You can also use notepad++, but no matter what I wouldn't recommend you to start writing directly from the site lmao

chat_bot

Coming from a site that took years for it to finally able for it to put images in text and having extremely limited options to editing compared to our scribble hub, I cannot see that. I think the features are quite well-rounded.

My main problem is that it forces you to create and decide the description title and cover before you make any headway into the novel itself.
You don't plan your novel beforehand? Every site I have been trying to post on has the same thing, and thus I prepare a description and cover beforehand. I think planning and writing directly on the site is not recommendable.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Longer means better? Ha! That's what she said!

Ackackackackack *uncle laugh* *chokes* *slaps knee*

On a serious note, the word count is there for you not against you. It's your frieeeeend. Truuuust it.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Okay I need to start using offsite tools to write my chapters because I've lost my drafts too many times to a mistimed click on the BACK or REFRESH buttons >:(

To address your point on titles, you can put in a throwaway title before you write your chapter. This is actually what I do, as I have a specific chapter convention on my current work that basically requires me to have the chapter written before I decide the chapter title.

NobleTalon

This is actually what I do, as I have a specific chapter convention on my current work that basically requires me to have the chapter written before I decide the chapter title.

I do the same lmao

I mean, it's kinda hard to decide of a title before writing the whole chapter, unless you already have the plot and a storyline to vigorously follow (which is not the case for most of web novels authors)