Scribbler's Land of Lost Stories

Scribbler

A dragon’s snore is much like its roar; it was a low and rumbling affair, echoing and reverberating throughout the cavern.

Dragons were thought to be god-like beings, powerful enough to split continents in two or destroy entire mountainscapes. But they slept and ate like any other being, like you or I. Why, they even died, after a fashion.

And what were the chances that a man in full body armor, with a lance in hand, would be creeping ever closer to this giant beast’s slumbering form? Quite good, in fact.

I’m sure you’ve heard of it before, or something similar, in another story; the slumbering dragon and the mortal man destined to slay it, or failing that, best it in some other way.

But that’s not how the story will go today.

“You there! Dragon! Awaken!” The lancer poked at the dragon’s side with his lance.

Mildly aware of this sensation, the dragon stopped his snoring, and then hearing the shout that was still quieter than his snore, the dragon half lifted its lids, and turned its gargantuan neck in the direction of the sensation and sound.

Seeing as it was only one man, the dragon thought nothing more of it and rested its head back down, and fell back to sleep, and began its raucous snore once again.

Feeling that he was being belittled from the sight, the lancer brought back his lance and, instead of a gentle poke, thrust forward his mighty lance.

The dragon yelped and howled and turned its body away from the pain until it was on its back. Fully awake now, the dragon looked on at the lancer with eyes of burning menace. He shouted, his voice low and manner foreboding, “For what reason do you disturb my slumber, human?”

Mind you, the threatening effect was diminished from the beast being on its back; a universal symbol for submission in the animal kingdom, as I’m sure you’re aware.

Though the lancer seemed to not be deterred one bit. He matched his tone with the dragon’s, “You have terrorized these lands for long enough. I have come to stop you.”

The dragon, realizing his position, rolled to his left, away from the lancer, so that he was on all fours. He turned his body toward the lancer and said, “Ha! And how does a single human intend to fell I, a dragon, a god among all creatures!”

“I don’t intend to slay you, no, I have only come to speak.”

“Ha! For that you don your armor and blade?”

“No, for my protection, and for waking you up.”

The dragon pondered this for a moment and came to the conclusion the lancer was telling the truth.

“Hm, and what is it you intend to say?”

“Why! Why do you sow so much discord and destruction? Why do you lay fire where crops once grew? Why do you make all around know and fear you, mighty Fafnir?”

“Why? What matter is there in why? I do it because I can, because I relish the screams, because I love the fire.”

“Is that truly all? The only reason?”

Fafnir made no reply, only silence and a continued glare.

“I see, then you leave me no choice, I shall slay you.” Siegfried held his lance with both arms and drew them back, like an archer pulling the string of a bow, his body became taught.

Fafnir sensing the lancer’s resolution from the aura of his posture, the dragon too readied itself, and in that moment, Siegfried knew, he would die in this place to this dragon.

Last edited: