Secret of Mana makes me cry :)

• Thread starter Deleted member 52055
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52055

I've been playing secret of mana on the Super Nintendo for the past three days and can I just say: What the hell is the 'mini boss' fight with the werewolves. It's completely unfair and even attempting it with new armour and weapons does basically nothing. They heal themselves every few seconds, and they are insanely hard to kill. The hit box is horrid, and the way they attack is nothing but annoying. Can someone please provide some tips on how to defeat them, I've been stuck here forever.
If you don't have a visual on just how annoyingly hard they are, I've provided this youtube video I found:

D

Deleted member 52055

Thank you for that guys. But there's absolutely no way to complete this mini boss without changing something I'm doing, but I can't change anything because I don't know what to change. I was asking for advice :cries in a corner:

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
If you've played Ys Chronicles then what you are complaining about is child's play - either see if you are under-leveled so that you can load somewhere else and grind (if there is no grinding point, then it's basically luck and hard work), understand the enemy pattern and find their weaknesses (start learning through guides and videos and stop complaining), saving and loading to different parts of the story to change something that might avoid you from your current situation.

Unfortunately, I haven't really played the Secret of Mana so I don't have anything better about it to say - but basic pointers that everyone knows. I can only assume that if this is really making you cry, then it's the tendency of difficulty might be the same as games that I've played.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 52055

There are no guides. The patterns to their attacks are randomized and scattered everytime you enter. And last night I leveled up to 9 (which is way higher a level than I should be considering this is the first mini boss and first ever 'real' fight.) I went back to one of the towns and even bought upgrades. I bought chain armour and many candy's (candy is health in this game) But that only reduced the damage I took by about 10. I can't buy anything else because there is nothing else my character could wear. And all over reddit people are saying to bring the girl from the Water Palace, but that isn't possible anymore in my save of the game. The other girl I had as a companion left my side when I entered the Underground. All I'm asking is for some tips. And leveling up is a game of luck. :sigh: Nevermind. I wrote all that previously, but I certainly don't want to just delete it. I'll just figure something else out. None of you would understand if you haven't played.
Idea. Just don't die
thanks.

Jemini

I've been playing secret of mana on the Super Nintendo for the past three days and can I just say: What the hell is the 'mini boss' fight with the werewolves. It's completely unfair and even attempting it with new armour and weapons does basically nothing. They heal themselves every few seconds, and they are insanely hard to kill. The hit box is horrid, and the way they attack is nothing but annoying. Can someone please provide some tips on how to defeat them, I've been stuck here forever.
If you don't have a visual on just how annoyingly hard they are, I've provided this youtube video I found:
There is a way to just avoid it completely.

1. Get the girl in your party at the castle.
2. Do NOT go into the Gia's navel cave until after you go to the forest.
3. Go through the forest. When you go to the teleporter that would normally bring you to these wolves, it will bring you to another area instead.
4. Attack these two pillars that look like they have animal skulls on top of them. The girl will say you should go to Gia's navel to get an axe. (She will runaway form you if you attempt to go into Gia's navel cave before getting this dialogue from her.)

Basically, the warewolves only show up if the girl is not in your party. It's supposed to be a rescue scene where you save her from the warewolves. It's more or less the game punishing you for attempting to play the game out of the sequence it wants you to play it in.

Alternatively, you can just go down into Gia's navel cave without the girl and get the much better weapons and armor from there first, but the cave is a little bit harder solo. Then again, it's not quite as bad as the warewolves.

EDIT: Ok, I just watched the video and am hoping your strategy does not look similar to this guy. If it is, I think I can give you a lot more tips than this.

1. There is a village just one screen south of Gia's navel (the area in the screen just south of the teleporter into the forest.) You just leave through the south exit of the Gia's navel area, and then head left. This village has a much bigger armor upgrade than that price-gouging cat will give you. (the stuff sold in the dwarf village at the bottom if the Gia's navel cave is still better, but at least you don't have to fight your way through the cave to get to it.)
2. Make the best use of stun locking that you can.
3. If you do decide to go through the cave first, you will get another party member. Having 2 party members and the girl running around in the back will make for a much easier fight, in addition to the better weapons, armor, and levels.

Ultimately though, the strategy I always go with is to just avoid the fight all together using the method I outlined first.

Last edited:

Motsu

There is a way to just avoid it completely.

1. Get the girl in your party at the castle.
2. Do NOT go into the Gia's navel cave until after you go to the forest.
3. Go through the forest. When you go to the teleporter that would normally bring you to these wolves, it will bring you to another area instead.
4. Attack these two pillars that look like they have animal skulls on top of them. The girl will say you should go to Gia's navel to get an axe. (She will runaway form you if you attempt to go into Gia's navel cave before getting this dialogue from her.)

Basically, the warewolves only show up if the girl is not in your party. It's supposed to be a rescue scene where you save her from the warewolves. It's more or less the game punishing you for attempting to play the game out of the sequence it wants you to play it in.

Alternatively, you can just go down into Gia's navel cave without the girl and get the much better weapons and armor from there first, but the cave is a little bit harder solo. Then again, it's not quite as bad as the warewolves.

EDIT: Ok, I just watched the video and am hoping your strategy does not look similar to this guy. If it is, I think I can give you a lot more tips than this.

1. There is a village just one screen south of Gia's navel (the area in the screen just south of the teleporter into the forest.) You just leave through the south exit of the Gia's navel area, and then head left. This village has a much bigger armor upgrade than that price-gouging cat will give you. (the stuff sold in the dwarf village at the bottom if the Gia's navel cave is still better, but at least you don't have to fight your way through the cave to get to it.)
2. Make the best use of stun locking that you can.
3. If you do decide to go through the cave first, you will get another party member. Having 2 party members and the girl running around in the back will make for a much easier fight, in addition to the better weapons, armor, and levels.

Ultimately though, the strategy I always go with is to just avoid the fight all together using the method I outlined first.
Bro... just give him this and let him read it on his own:

Jemini

Bro... just give him this and let him read it on his own:

He was complaining that he couldn't find any guides about how to fight the wolves, likely fixating on that subject.

Of course the guides don't talk about how to fight the wolves, it's so easy to just avoid the fight that all the guides will likely say is "go to the forest first or else you will have to fight a tough fight with some wolves later." So, yeah, he's not going to find the guide he's looking for.

So, I just told him the stuff his tunnel vision is preventing him from seeing. People who are veterans of this game all know how to avoid this fight and will do it naturally, but a first time player doesn't necessarily know.

(Incidentally, my first time ever playing this game was when I was 11. And I encountered this fight and won on my first try. I hated it though. Admittedly, I had far better gear than was being used in that video because I found the village that sold the better armor.)

EDIT: FYI, you will be encountering more of these wolf monsters later in the game, but by that point you will be significantly higher leveled and have much better gear. The only reason these guys are so punishing is because they are OP for this point in the game, but they are only a bit annoying due to their healing ability later when you encounter them at the appropriate point.

Last edited:

Motsu

He was complaining that he couldn't find any guides about how to fight the wolves, likely fixating on that subject.
I literally searched 'secret of mana fighting the wolves' and poof, guides everywhere... I don't know why the hell he couldn't find it but I guess that's that.

Of course the guides don't talk about how to fight the wolves, it's so easy to just avoid the fight that all the guides will likely say is "go to the forest first or else you will have to fight a tough fight with some wolves later." So, yeah, he's not going to find the guide he's looking for.
It'd be a bad guide if it doesn't cover every single thing in the story... if I remember correctly, the most recommended ones are pretty detailed at best... but well, if he doesn't like reading then that's his problem.

So, I just told him the stuff his tunnel vision is preventing him from seeing. People who are veterans of this game all know how to avoid this fight and will do it naturally, but a first time player doesn't necessarily know.
Assuming they've played the game twice, it is obvious to avoid the fight first... but yeah, a first-time will definitely struggle without the game pointing you in the right direction... reminds me of the Rance III puzzle and all the Ys Chronicle fights.

(Incidentally, my first time ever playing this game was when I was 11. And I encountered this fight and won on my first try. I hated it though. Admittedly, I had far better gear than was being used in that video because I found the village that sold the better armor.)
Well, fortunate for you to have found the better armor.

Anyway, this is why when it comes to the oldest games specifically the JRPG's, I use guides because it is confusing and gives complication whenever you don't know what you're doing.

Jemini

Anyway, this is why when it comes to the oldest games specifically the JRPG's, I use guides because it is confusing and gives complication whenever you don't know what you're doing.

I find it funny to see Secret of Mana be called one of "the oldest games." I played this game back before google could give you easy access to hundreds of guides all over the internet, and the community of writing these guides wasn't very well developed yet anyway. So, I had to figure all this stuff out the old fashioned way, by trial and error.

Also, as a kid, I played all these what are now considered "old games" add-nausium with such a number of repetitions that my simple memory from repeat playing is actually better than most guides out there. Secret of Mana is one of the games on the list that I have repeatedly played to that extreme. (Although it's nowhere near the number of times I played FF7, Chrono Trigger, or Threads of Fate. Those 3 titles are the ones I have exceeded 20 playthroughs on. Secret of Mana I am probably somewhere between 10 and 20. Can't clearly remember whether it's over or under 15. (No, I don't actively keep count, but I have a good reckoning of an approximate number based on what sounds about right.))

Motsu

I find it funny to see Secret of Mana be called one of "the oldest games." I played this game back before google could give you easy access to hundreds of guides all over the internet, and the community of writing these guides wasn't very well developed yet anyway. So, I had to figure all this stuff out the old fashioned way, by trial and error.
Loved the old days because of how all games are cracked and playable... and yeah, distorted graphic, 8-bit pixel characters, used to be played in a pretty old console, has passed 15 years... that's what I call the oldest game/s.

Also, as a kid, I played all these what are now considered "old games" add-nausium with such a number of repetitions that my simple memory from repeat playing is actually better than most guides out there. Secret of Mana is one of the games on the list that I have repeatedly played to that extreme. (Although it's nowhere near the number of times I played FF7, Chrono Trigger, or Threads of Fate. Those 3 titles are the ones I have exceeded 20 playthroughs on. Secret of Mana I am probably somewhere between 10 and 20. Can't clearly remember whether it's over or under 15. (No, I don't actively keep count, but I have a good reckoning of an approximate number based on what sounds about right.))
I guess there are games we consider old, depending on when we played them. However, I've played too many games that I've forgotten most of the old games I've played back then... though, I do remember Call of Duty and Warcraft to be my oldest games.

Jemini

I guess there are games we consider old, depending on when we played them. However, I've played too many games that I've forgotten most of the old games I've played back then... though, I do remember Call of Duty and Warcraft to be my oldest games.
Now you're just making me feel old.

SNES games were my generation. I remember getting Donkey Kong Country 2 for Christmas when it was the newest hot-item game on the market. The only games that are before my time are for the original NES and then the ones that are too old to actually have character sprites for the gen 1 and 2 councels before the industry crash.

(For your gaming history lesson, the gaming industry crashed and almost got wiped out for the poor quality of games it was pumping out, and then it was the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) that saved the industry. NES is considered to be more or less the sole carrier of the 3rd console generation. I got into gaming on the 4th generation. If I'm not mistaken, I think we are currently in the 8th and transitioning into the 9th. Or maybe we are already in the 9th and I missed it.)

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
Let me give you my secret.
Use cheats and download save states. Time is precious don't waste it on grinding if you don't enjoy it.
It's on a emulator there must be some way.

If it's not on emulator use cheat engine

my genius is almost frightening.
but I certainly don't want to just delete it.

Motsu

Now you're just making me feel old.

SNES games were my generation. I remember getting Donkey Kong Country 2 for Christmas when it was the newest hot-item game on the market. The only games that are before my time are for the original NES and then the ones that are too old to actually have character sprites for the gen 1 and 2 councels before the industry crash.

(For your gaming history lesson, the gaming industry crashed and almost got wiped out for the poor quality of games it was pumping out, and then it was the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) that saved the industry. NES is considered to be more or less the sole carrier of the 3rd console generation. I got into gaming on the 4th generation. If I'm not mistaken, I think we are currently in the 8th and transitioning into the 9th. Or maybe we are already in the 9th and I missed it.)
If you played DKC2 then your probably older than me by age, at the very least. I missed a lot of gaming histories throughout the years because I've been busy learning, but hey, I started playing games before the Nintendo DS Lite era (dunno what generation) because of a certain Diablo player. I was never really exposed too much to consoles back in the old days, and the first time I was able to play on consoles was when I was at my friend's house playing Call of Duty. Though, I mainly use emulators because that's the only option I have to play old games that require old consoles.

Jemini

If you played DKC2 then your probably older than me by age, at the very least. I missed a lot of gaming histories throughout the years because I've been busy learning, but hey, I started playing games before the Nintendo DS Lite era (dunno what generation) because of a certain Diablo player. I was never really exposed too much to consoles back in the old days, and the first time I was able to play on consoles was when I was at my friend's house playing Call of Duty. Though, I mainly use emulators because that's the only option I have to play old games that require old consoles.
Hand helds are about 2.5 generations behind home consoles. The original gameboy came out between the 3rd and 4th console generations. After that, it was game boy color for the 2nd gen hand-helds, GBA for the 3rd, SP for the 3.5th (kind of a half console generation,) and then DS was the 4th where it kinda more or less stalled out. They have been doing nothing but releasing half generation advancements since then. So, unless you count the Nintendo Switch as the 5th generation of hand-helds, then hand-helds have not officially advanced to 5th gen yet.

(Yes, this is tracking only the Nintendo line. This is because Nintendo is the only brand that has had representation for every single hand-held generation.)

D

Deleted member 52055

:blob_drool: what the heck happened here- i was asking if anybody had any tips,,, of course i read the guides, but they were no help. I wanted feedback from people who i could talk to and better understand how and why. okay- now that that's said, i have to go back to sleep bye lol
"And all over reddit people are saying to bring the girl from the Water Palace, but that isn't possible anymore in my save of the game. The other girl I had as a companion left my side when I entered the Underground. All I'm asking is for some tips." is what i said. so-- jesus,. and i'm not a guy.
And all over reddit people are saying to bring the girl from the Water Palace, but that isn't possible anymore in my save of the game. The other girl I had as a companion left my side when I entered the Underground. All I'm asking is for some tips.
Here ^

Last edited by a moderator: