Seeking some tips because I'm new

DJWilde

So true.

Do Not Tips:
1. Do not let the reviews and 1 stars get to you so much that it makes you feel like its dragging you down from writing. Keep on writing. Only keep ones that are constructive. If you don't want constructive feedback, just put somewhere currently writing and not asking for feedback yet. Comments that are not constructive but destructive (rude, swear calling names, just downright mean) should be ignored.
2. Do not expect to have a lot of views and readers in a short amount of time. Besides there are popular tropes on here than other genres, some don't want to read a story with a few short chapters. Get to chapter 20 before you expect many readers.
3. High expectations makes you expect more but the reality is a lot of times its best to expect small things when initially getting out there. This way when something doesn't meet your expectations, it wouldn't feel like a very big plummet. (when I mean high expectations I mean the first two above. what people define as high expectation can vary greatly from individual to individual).

Do Tips:
1. Post a link to your works either in your Profile's signature or Profile. This makes it much easier for people on ScribbleHub Forums to notice what your works are.
2. Someone once commented somewhere that its best to post at 2pm. And people like to see.
3. Updates on your author's profile for your fellow readers if you are gonna go on hiatus or something.
4. If you want to get more publicity for your stories and works, post on more than one website to gather more readers.

if you're friendly humor and lighthearted, you'll get very far here on forums like @CadmarLegend.

TL;DR: Don't Expect and Aim too High, Keep Writing, and Paste Your Story Links in Your Signature.

GL new person. :)
Great set of advice. Thank you very much. I agree when it comes to ratings. The best thing to do with a poor rating is ignore it past what you can take for genuine criticism of your work. And people have different views. Thank you again.

And if you ever mention me in a post, remember that I will always reply back, unless I didn't get any notifications for some reason— it sometimes happens, and I will give you a react. Also, @SeaSquidfish how exactly did I get very far??? I've barely gained any readers from here, and nor have I gotten followers from here except the initial 22 people.... I think.... I did get to interact with many others, though! ( ͡° . ͡°)?
Super! I will keep that in mind. And who knows where anything will go. If you don't try you never find out ;)

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Great set of advice. Thank you very much. I agree when it comes to ratings. The best thing to do with a poor rating is ignore it past what you can take for genuine criticism of your work. And people have different views. Thank you again.

Super! I will keep that in mind. And who knows where anything will go. If you don't try you never find out ;)
*Sighs*

Oh, the difficulties of life....

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Hi. I'm DJ Wilde and I'm new here. I was hoping I could ask you kind folks for some general tips as I get started? What should I watch out (other than the obvious rules). I'm a published author but I'm new to this form of story telling. Thank you in advance!
1. The 'views' are pageviews or people who opened and taked a look at your cover/story page.
2. The 'readers' are the people who 'bookmarked' your work so your actual readership might be bigger
3. There is a glossary and they exist. (I just found stories with glossary as cute ones since they seem to have more effort put in them)
4. Go at one of your chapters and take a look at the top. The eyes showed how many read that chapter.(See that views are bigger than your 'readers'? This explains it). There is also a love/favorite button but they are self explanatory.
5. Statistics exist so you can take a look at it if you have a tough stomach or you can just avoid that button if you easily feel bad.
6. Reviews are moderated so you should not worry about the trolls who will just spam words.
7. If I recall right, there is a pin feature but I haven't checked it out...
if you're friendly humor and lighthearted, you'll get very far here on forums like @CadmarLegend.
Am I not humorous? Me jealous...
Also one can @ me if one needs help. I can respond unless there's no notification

Last edited:

DJWilde

1. The 'views' are pageviews or people who opened and taked a look at your cover/story page.
2. The 'readers' are the people who 'bookmarked' your work so your actual readership might be bigger
3. There is a glossary and they exist. (I just found stories with glossary as cute ones since they seem to have more effort put in them)
4. Go at one of your chapters and take a look at the top. The eyes showed how many read that chapter.(See that views are bigger than your 'readers'? This explains it). There is also a love/favorite button but they are self explanatory.
5. Statistics exist so you can take a look at it if you have a tough stomach or you can just avoid that button if you easily feel bad.
6. Reviews are moderated so you should not worry about the trolls who will just spam words.

Also one can @ me if one needs help. I can respond unless there's no notification
Awesome thank you! It's good to have an understanding of the "mechanics" of the place for sure.

D

Deleted member 45782

This is pretty good. Would live it when first joined esp readers and reader status and statistics. Took a bit to explore.
Why are you jealous lol. 😅

Also @DJWilde:

Pretty cool you're a published author already. :D
Maybe someday you can spare us some tips on how to become one?

Last edited by a moderator:

DJWilde

This is pretty good. Would live it when first joined esp readers and reader status and statistics. Took a bit to explore.

Why are you jealous lol. 😅

Also @DJWilde:

Pretty cool you're a published author already. :D
Maybe someday you can spare us some tips on how to become one?
Perhaps ;). There are many avenues to publishing and arguably the hardest part is actually marketing which is left to you 90% of all forms.

D

Deleted member 45782

Perhaps ;). There are many avenues to publishing and arguably the hardest part is actually marketing which is left to you 90% of all forms.
True. I heard I think from a published author on something once that like 50% of becoming a good successful author was making sure how to market your story as.