Writing Seeking Writing Advice from Experienced Authors

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Have fun and write what you want. Just because one person doesn't like the genre/theme/plot etc doesn't mean you shouldn't. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, but also be open to criticism. If someone tells you don't do 'x' genre because of 'y' and 'z' (usually their own biases), that's not criticism period.

But hearing 'you need to space 'x' out a little to make it more eligible, or this came unexpectedly' is definitely valid criticism.

The more fun you have and more you write something you like, the more invested you'll be, and the easier it'll be to write.

Take inspiration from other media as well. Authors run on inspiration and motivation, so reading, watching, etc can help you out tremendously. Someone in these forums made a lovely metaphor of how Authors are inkwells that run on inspiration.

Another big thing is to make note of significant events. Even the bare minimum of A = MC starts in the world to B = Becomes stronger is enough. It's kind of a like a framework or a container. You fill up what's in between, and that ends up becoming the journey/story from A to B.

You can also compare your work to others to see if you're on the right track, or ask around to see if people can give you feedback. The forums here are usually quite helpful.

MasFaqih

Normal White Cat | Fluffy | Can bite really hard
First and foremost,just don't let your reader expectations ruin your motivation,really it will dampen your learning capabilities.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Hi there,
Just discovered the forum. Anyway, I'll get right down to it. I published my first fanfiction two months ago and I'm looking for some guidance. I've watched videos on story planning, character creation, and setting a consistent writing schedule, but well I'm certainly no pro, my writting is probably trash and leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd love to hear from experienced writers who can offer advice, tips, and tricks they learned when they were starting out. Any feedback on my writing would also be greatly appreciated.
Ya want feedback but offer no link to the story or explain specifically what kind of a advice you seek?

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Have fun and write what you want.
WHAT???

Never have FUN! Having fun is the enemy of writing! You must SUFFER! Go watch the movie Naked Lunch, which has nothing to do with being naked or lunch. That is what it means to be a writer! Living Weird with erotic bugs-machine hybrids as your typewriter! If you aren't shooting up bug-powder while shooting loved ones in the head, you aren't-

[sounds of struggle]
[muffled gunshots]

*tap-tap* This thing on?
Yeah... ignore that guy.

If you want to be an EXPERIENCED writer, just write a lot. It helps if you enjoy doing it, but what's important is motivation. Maybe having fun is your thing. Maybe making money is your thing. Maybe getting positive feedback from strangers is your thing. What matters is being HONEST with yourself.

Too many people start this up and then they get flustered, flounder, then find out it ain't what they thought it was. ESPECIALLY if you are doing fanfiction.

Fanfiction has an upside and a downside. The upside is an instant built-in audience. The downside, you have an instant built-in audience. Those fans will come after you. They won't pull punches. They will hit you where it HURTS. Why? Because you are messing with THEIR IP.

They own that shit.

And they do.

An IP does not exist without the fan. Without the person who loves the IP it DIES. And when someone loves an IP, they have opinions. YOU are taking advantage of a path well worn, at the cost of snipers lurking in the trees waiting for you to fuck up so they can leap on you and tear you into little itty-bitty pieces.

Do not write Fanfiction unless you LOVE the IP.

I said that before, but I'm repeating it because the advice of, "Write for the fun of it" works when you are writing your own shit. When you go into someone else's sandbox, you had better write because you LOVE that shit.

Below in my Sig is Hotrod lantern. My DC fanfic. I wrote what I knew and respected. It shows and the readers can tell. Yes, I have my own OC character, but the story isn't just about him, because it's FANFICTION. Honestly, think I show the DC characters more respect than DC does.

If you go into an IP going, "I'm gonna have fun." and that fun is at the IP's expense, you might not catch any flak, or you might find that one fan who hangs their identity on the IP in question. They Will Let You Know You Are Wrong and in detail you didn't think possible. Chances are, he's right, btw. It can hurt to have your work torn to shreds.

What I'm saying is that fun has its place, but have fun in your own sandbox.
Take things seriously when you are in someone else's.

Also, Being a little touched in the head helps, but don't go overboard.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
WHAT???

Never have FUN! Having fun is the enemy of writing! You must SUFFER! Go watch the movie Naked Lunch, which has nothing to do with being naked or lunch. That is what it means to be a writer! Living Weird with erotic bugs-machine hybrids as your typewriter! If you aren't shooting up bug-powder while shooting loved ones in the head, you aren't-
Tbf, it depends on the type of fanfiction/IP itself. If there's one open to interpretation creativity (like a Minecraft Fanfiction... Don't ask me how I know), then it's super open ended and you can really do what you want or 'have fun'.

But otherwise, yeah. Some IPs are going to have some bloodthirsty fans, and would make creativity a bit more difficult. Not impossible by any means. A fanfic can be like a self insert or putting a new character/OC into that particular setting. I always tend to think of Fanfics like Mods for a game in a way, like the kind you'd find in Library of Ruina.

But then again, those ones are usually strictly tied to the lore and work as an expansion, than a derivative/etc.

Last edited:

Lloyd

Funny Guy :)
Literally just read a lot of good quality stories. That's all you have to do to get good at writing.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Another piece of advice, at the risk of sounding like an asshole, more people give advice (not necessarily in this thread) than who have actually proven out their own success. Before following any advice, double check how whoever gave it is doing as an author.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
best advice I can give off the cuff is to be prolific. practice, practice, practice. The quality does not matter in the short-term. In the long term, as long as you keep writing and keep seeking to get better, you will eventually reach a level you can be proud of. Imposter syndrome will always be lurking of course, but long practice will not betray you.