Self published?

Jihn

Your friendly neigh-borhood horsey!
Has anyone here ever gotten published (or self-published) and made money from their stories being popular enough? I'm very curious to know this.

Jihn

Yep. Still doing so. You can check Rise of the Weakest Summoner on Amazon. Doing pretty much everything myself, excluding artwork, of course. Fun stuff. I was able to write full time just from Patreon but selfpub enhances it a little. Can't wait to pub more of my projects.

Nice. People seem to be receiving it pretty well on Amazon (went down and looked at the reviews). How do you advertise your Patreon, and also keep up interest in your published books on here?

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Nice. People seem to be receiving it pretty well on Amazon (went down and looked at the reviews). How do you advertise your Patreon, and also keep up interest in your published books on here?
Patreon just works by mentioning it under each chapter of the web novel series and that's pretty much all. I still have a fully free story with advanced chapters there. And people who find the books instead, do see a mention of Patreon in the afterword. I'm usually ahead of what is published so they might or might not join to take a peek instead of waiting for next release. That's pretty much all. I've never really advertised it, just let it grow as I kept writing. If people liked the story, they might be inclined to continue there. All of my stories are currently ongoing. I didn't really switch into publishing mode, just publish when I have enough content.

LABmaiL

Friend of All Hats :)
As a reader, I do occasionally buy books to support the author even if they are available for free. I don't know at which point publishing becomes viable, but you can trust some readers to buy even after reading online. I do suggest you mention the published versions a few times and give a link, though. Most readers (me included) have a shorter memory than a goldfish with Alzheimer's.

Jihn

Patreon just works by mentioning it under each chapter of the web novel series and that's pretty much all. I still have a fully free story with advanced chapters there. And people who find the books instead, do see a mention of Patreon in the afterword. I'm usually ahead of what is published so they might or might not join to take a peek instead of waiting for next release. That's pretty much all. I've never really advertised it, just let it grow as I kept writing. If people liked the story, they might be inclined to continue there. All of my stories are currently ongoing. I didn't really switch into publishing mode, just publish when I have enough content.

Ah, this is a good idea. Letting it grow, building Patreon up, and letting people continue the story/go to Patreon and check it out there. Enticing them seems like a reasonable idea, to be honest.

As a reader, I do occasionally buy books to support the author even if they are available for free. I don't know at which point publishing becomes viable, but you can trust some readers to buy even after reading online. I do suggest you mention the published versions a few times and give a link, though. Most readers (me included) have a shorter memory than a goldfish with Alzheimer's.

Yeah, so basically some will like it and support you? Sounds legit. Yes, definitely. As an author horse with a shorter memory span than a goldfish with Alzheimers, I too will need reminders that I sell stuff lol.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I had a friend in highschool who self published a lot of books, however he moved across the country for school and I sort of lost touch, so I can’t really ask him about it.

Alternatively my father published a book in the early 2000s not self published but through a print on demand publisher. Which honestly sounds like a better deal to me since they’ll still pick up almost anyone. You just have to pay a fee to begin. Then list the book on Amazon through the publisher, and then they will print it and ship it whenever someone orders the book. My father was selling a few copies each year of an obscure business guide to the early 2000s internet up until the publisher went belly up a few years ago.

newage23

the source of most people i know who writes novel is mostly patreon and this one guy i knew created a adult game in the form of interactive novel and still makes more than 1000 bucks monthly fom the game only in patreon