Sensitivity Reader, do you use them?

LWFlouisa

For context, this is what a sensitivity reader is:

Have any of you ever found this useful? I have my own specific issues with it, although not for the same reasons "that is censorship" people do. Mostly I feel like as long as the author is hiring them themself, I see no issue with it.

It's when the publisher starts hiring them I have an issue. Because that's centralized, and thus inefficient.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
For context, this is what a sensitivity reader is:

Have any of you ever found this useful? I have my own specific issues with it, although not for the same reasons "that is censorship" people do. Mostly I feel like as long as the author is hiring them themself, I see no issue with it.

It's when the publisher starts hiring them I have an issue. Because that's centralized, and thus inefficient.
They sound like sensitive cunts who just try to make the work politically correct. No harm in that but biases are a part of writing. Unless you work under a publisher you shouldn't feel the need to use them. Because then the goal is money and you need to appeal to a general audience. Otherwise, why use them?

I certainly wouldn't, at least. I don't feel any need to censor myself. I would like to do my own research about subjects and be accurate, yes, but any biases i have apart from that are own and whether people like them or not doesn't matter to me worth a damn.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Sounds like you (the author) would hire one to see if your characters are realistic. You're all focusing on the the SJW aspect rather than the accuracy aspect, which is easily as important and not as controversial.

I personally wouldn't use them since, but I can see why some people would.

LWFlouisa

Sounds like you (the author) would hire one to see if your characters are realistic. You're all focusing on the the SJW aspect rather than the accuracy aspect, which is easily as important and not as controversial.

I personally wouldn't use them since, but I can see why some people would.

Yea I'm leaning toward not using one myself.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
sensitivity readers can have a welcoming trip on the gulag bus

if they're offering to read ONLY for sensitivity, no. But if it's like a thing on the side along with actual critique and stuff, then why the hell not. see what you've done to the story that can potentially enrage a minority that otherwise won't even glance on your cover

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
LOL. Just hire Justin Trudeau.

I would much rather spend money on a line editor and ask them to pay attention to politically incorrect, factually incorrect, or offensive content. Like just tell the relatively normal line editor to flag possibly offensive content to be considered for later examination. I'm thinking of a sensitivity reader as a weird niche that might be more important for middle grade books and a young reader audience.

WHAT YOU LOOKING AT JERK! AIN'T SEEN A SENSITIVE READER BEFORE?

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
LOL. Just hire Justin Trudeau.

I would much rather spend money on a line editor and ask them to pay attention to politically incorrect, factually incorrect, or offensive content. Like just tell the relatively normal line editor to flag possibly offensive content to be considered for later examination. I'm thinking of a sensitivity reader as a weird niche that might be more important for middle grade books and a young reader audience.

Sensitivity readers? That sounds like something strange again from across the big pond. :blob_melt:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
You see Doctor Who, Jame Bond, Ghost Buster? That's what political correctness did to the series. They're ruining them.

I see no need to appeal to certain people that would never read my fiction anyway.