Setting of fantasy world

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
So if even the "OG" CN cultivation fics don't do any research on either the martial arts or the spirituality that they draw inspiration from, is your original point still valid?
Nah, but the whole thing's like Aikido. It's a bullshit scam and everyone knows it but everyone goes along anyway because it looks cool.

Xiaoshen

Nah, but the whole thing's like Aikido. It's a bullshit scam and everyone knows it but everyone goes along anyway because it looks cool.

Cold_Sun

Lets be frank, SH is the unnerving spawn from NU, that place has more translated JP works, CN xianxia and KR clusterfucks, there are even a time period where SH is flooded with BL, because every numskull, me included, after having their brains filled up by the works of NU decides to regurgitate into SH. Hell, @Tony even created this place so that we can freely puke out the mismash we read from NU, instead of going to Machineslicedbread, Lierotica and Storiesonline to post our frankenstein.

As for writing your own culture instead of CN xianxia and JP isekai, should I start to brainstorm my childhood of CN Wuxia and JP Doraemon?
Sure if that is your culture?
I don't think this is supposed to be just a place for puking NU works. I think Tony has bigger goals for this than that. This is just a note for what I hope to see in SH stories. It's biased based on what I prefer to read. And what I would consider paying to read. For authors that are writing for the fun of it no criticism from my end. But if they are trying to get a Patreon or publish, I hope this will be helpful.

So if even the "OG" CN cultivation fics don't do any research on either the martial arts or the spirituality that they draw inspiration from, is your original point still valid?
I think my observation still holds. It's like Chinese whisper. It's fun, but only for so long.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Sure if that is your culture?
I don't think this is supposed to be just a place for puking NU works. I think Tony has bigger goals for this than that. This is just a note for what I hope to see in SH stories. It's biased based on what I prefer to read. And what I would consider paying to read. For authors that are writing for the fun of it no criticism from my end. But if they are trying to get a Patreon or publish, I hope this will be helpful.

I think my observation still holds. It's like Chinese whisper. It's fun, but only for so long.
Yes, because there are also religious parts where I as a child goes to temples with my parents and watch shamans maim themselves or go to the local church and hear the pastor screams about blasphemy of other religions, or political about two or more parties berating each other for being lobbyists and pedophiles while both are exactly the same. The good part of my "culture" stems from the fact that we have holidays mostly from the west ffs. Or that food is the only thing to talk about. Unless you want me to write a shokugeki no soma fanfic, tough luck.

Tejoka

Realistically, we're (most of us) hobby authors and can't always do extensive research. But I agree that a basic respect for other cultures we use should be there. Even if you're just creating your own societies inspired by them, at least try to make sure it doesn't come across as insulting, racist, or only perpetuate harmful stereotypes.
For myself, the story is set in a cultivation world, so it's loosely inspired by the typical xianxia culture, but I've tried to do my unique take on it. I wanted it to be familiar enough for people who read this genre. A few elements are similar, like ways of formal address, but overall it's really my own world. I deliberately didn't bring Taoism or any of the philosophical stuff in it, because I'm not comfortable writing about that without a lot of research, so I just let the cultivation power levels stand for themselves.

strayCat0

Other
I don't know about you but I enjoy the bastardised version of badly researched CN novels where the dynasties somehow get along with the Mongols very well, or the complete tonal whiplash you'd get from reading sentences like "Would you like to go to McDonald's for a steak burger, Yukiro-san?"

There's really nowhere else to find good and entertaining garbage than ScribbleHub.

Wise words indeed

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Chinese culture =/= xianxia culture. I daresay the stereotypical Xianxia setting as it is now is it's own beast now, with the only true-to-china things carried over being the names and honorifics. Even the ones originating in China are like this.
Hell, besides the niche that everyone's either named after a flower or that everyone eats rice, it could've been set in a fictional era of the Spanish Inquisition and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. The only major thing anyone would notice is that everyone likes sitting cross-legged above strategically placed rocks for prolonged periods of time and somehow come back with enough spirit energy to shit fucking emeralds from their palms.

Sloth-of-Bangkok

As a hobby writter. I am sick of the Wuxia crap and pretty much ignore all cultural framework to build my base from the ground up. If I cannot invent a new system from 0, then I fail as a creative thinker. My novel is an isekai multiverse so I operate on whatever the fuck come to my mind. Unlike most author, I have my original inspiration and can call a truck more of it whenever I want.

I don't need to do the research. I am the writer. The only research I do is the statistical population of people who will get fuck by a nuke attack to calculate death toll.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Hell, besides the niche that everyone's either named after a flower or that everyone eats rice, it could've been set in a fictional era of the Spanish Inquisition and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. The only major thing anyone would notice is that everyone likes sitting cross-legged above strategically placed rocks for prolonged periods of time and somehow come back with enough spirit energy to shit fucking emeralds from their palms.