SH Readers: Do you like supers?

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
What do you like about those guys? The irreverence? The humor? The ruthlessness? All of the above?

Is there anything you can think of that would make a character like Deadpool more interesting?

I like how they don't act like brain dead 'heroes' that always saves people and pictured as the Symbol of Justice. I love how they act, the sarcastic humor, the plot, yeah, pretty much everything.

Is there?
NOT A BIT! That same goes for every novel that I read/like. 'I don't want them to act like how I want them to act' and I fucking hates people who Review Novels based on fact what MC doing isn't on their taste (FUCK YOU BUNCH OF DUMB CUNTS.UNCULTURED SWINE! why would you want to read something that you already know what would happened). That's why I would never judge a novel by it's reviews.

like people always say

"SURPRISE ME!" ( with the plot ofc)

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Superheroes come in all forms and sizes so there are bound to be at least a few likeable ones.
Besides, the usual bright colors and high individuality between the different characters are very interesting(and all those muscles man, them muscles are nice), the way a comic book may have a small cameo of a character that has a history of decades is also quite fun.
I haven't been following the big two for I think a year or more but I heard the sjw have been wrecking marvel though? Ugh, sounds sad.
I personally have a liking fot superman and I love booster gold. The Green Lantern (Hall Jordan) is also one of my favorites. Those seem to be all from DC though, huh. Well, from Marvel... I absolutely adore Doctor Doom, I used to like spiderman and he's a bit obscure, but the Sentry(Marvel's gritty superman) is kind of really neat.
Oh! And agent Venom (Flash Thomson) how could I forget about him? It was devastating his arc was over.

Last edited:

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I'm quite the sucker for OP Mc's and it's incredibly difficult to make one of those 'real heroes' who take the initiative to help people with the addition of OP Mc, and twist it into an entertaining story.

And I think I might have a thing for evil protagonists so yeah heroes aren't usually my cup of tea.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I really appreciate a hero that has to think on their actions and isn't just some model of lawful good who doesn't even think on the reasons behind the actions of criminals, acting as though they're some manifestation of evil or some crap.
I'm just waiting for there to be a hero who's character arc is just, "World's too fucked up for me to look after, but I'mma do it anyway." Not just in a referential sense but as a major characteristic.

If I wanna give an example, I wanna see a story that does the power vaccum right. It's not just "kick the baddie and day is solved". Hitler wasn't voted in power without reason. There's always a gap to be filled. Purging one great evil just gives breed for more to come. I want to see a hero who's completely alone in his journey and understands the concept. I want to see that hero, despite all that, still tries to make a citizen's day better, even at the cost of another citizen in the future.

I know there's a story like that out there. But no luck, as of now.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I'm just waiting for there to be a hero who's character arc is just, "World's too fucked up for me to look after, but I'mma do it anyway." Not just in a referential sense but as a major characteristic.

If I wanna give an example, I wanna see a story that does the power vaccum right. It's not just "kick the baddie and day is solved". Hitler wasn't voted in power without reason. There's always a gap to be filled. Purging one great evil just gives breed for more to come. I want to see a hero who's completely alone in his journey and understands the concept. I want to see that hero, despite all that, still tries to make a citizen's day better, even at the cost of another citizen in the future.

I know there's a story like that out there. But no luck, as of now.

Isn't that what the film version of "Wonder Woman" did?

OvidLemma

I like superheroes enough that I wrote a novel about them so, yeah. One of the things that I don't like about the superhero genre in general is that they generally (but not always) do a poor job of
A) portraying how regular people and society would react to superheroes being real and
B) portraying how becoming a superbeing would affect a person's social life and psyche

Some stories do a much better job of this than others, obviously. But when you have extended superhero universes (e.g. the MCU), the quality is all over the place. For my own hero story, Aurelia, I took my cues from graphic novels like Watchmen and The Boys (as well as from their movie adaptations) for some original takes on how society and regular folks react to there being heroes. Another major consideration is how the government regulatory apparatus deals with heroes. Realistically, superhumans would be regulated based on the threat they pose to operational security and physical safety.

TRNRLogan

I like most supers. Though exclusively on tv, in movies, and comics. Maybe a game or two.

Zone_Q11

I like superheroes in general, but I usually pay more attention to the villains. I like to their motivation, since the heroes' motivations are usually bland. It isn't bad; I like action, but when it comes to motivation, I prefer the villains.

--and then I almost always get disappointed by the simplety of their motivations, and want to see how the story ends immediately.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Isn't that what the film version of "Wonder Woman" did?
Wonder Woman was attributed more towards the fact that she's immortal. She really had nothing else to do other than to be a superhero. I meant that more in a nihilistic sense, where the protagonist sees dread more than he/she sees hope within his actions and STILL does their thing nontheless.

sereminar

At first when i read the title of this thread i was like, why yes i sure do love eating supper. Sometimes i have to wonder what my brain is up to lol.

As for super heroes, I absolutely loath when they are just cops in spandex. Like, no thank you, cops get to murder enough people as is, no need for there to be even fewer consequences and more hero worship thrown their way. As far as super heroes that are very much not cops i'm kinda ambivalent about them, like i'll read a few stories if they really stick out.