Short story prompts

TotallyHuman

I am interested in writing some short stories sometime, but I want to make it an interesting challenge for me.
So, I'm asking you to give me some prompts that can't be easily devolved into a generic plot with a quirk, yet not complicated enough that half of the story would have to go into establishing a setting for it.
It also can't be a fanfic prompt!
Other than that - go wild.
If any prompts here will interest you, and you'll publish your own short story on some prompts - drop a link for us to check out.

Template: (can and likely will be updated with time)
Short description of the prompt:
1-2 sentences. Basically, the title
Long description of your prompt: optional. Here you describe the specifics of your idea.
Rules:
(aka why I can't just morph this prompt into a generic story)
1) this and that must be thus
2) this and that is not allowed
3) length must be more than this but less than that
4)...

Example:
Boy/girl sees everything around them as a game. Plot twist: it's unknown if they live in a game-like reality, or are imagining it all.
Long description: boy/girl think they live in an rpg-like world, with quests and stats and levels. Write it so it would be ambiguous whether or not they actually live in such a reality or it's all imagination, and how they go about their day. It's interesting to see how one would go about describing the character interacting with the world when they think it's a game and how the world would react, while the ambiguousness is still kept.
Rules:
1) < 4000 words
2) can't be isekai
3) can't be romance
4) protagonist must be a child (<14 years old) and should not exhibitany behaviour that is not "child-like"
5) no gore or violence
6) make it light-hearted
7) the other characters must interact with the main character
8) ambiguousness of the truth redarding game-likeness must be kept throughout the whole story.

Rules don't have to look exactly like this, but I wanted to give you a feel for the format and what restrictions I expect.
Also:
If you're writing a joke prompt, then leave a serious one too, please?

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

How short? 1-5 chapters or 1-20 chapters?
I imagined 2000~3000 words, but it depends on your definition of a short story.
Honestly, even if you give me a 20 2000-word chapter quest I'll take it if your prompt is interesting enough. I'll probably shelf it far to the back of the queue of my priorities but I'll play with it

SailusGebel

I imagined 2000~3000 words, but it depends on your definition of a short story.
Honestly, even if you give me a 20 2000-word chapter quest I'll take it if your prompt is interesting enough. I'll probably shelf it far to the back of the queue of my priorities but I'll play with it
I don't know if I understood the rules correctly, so do correct me if I'm wrong. A young boy or a girl sees everything around them as if it is a game. Plot twist, we don't know if he\she has mental health issues or this is a game-like reality.

TotallyHuman

I don't know if I understood the rules correctly, so do correct me if I'm wrong. A young boy or a girl sees everything around them as if it is a game. Plot twist, we don't know if he\she has mental health issues or this is a game-like reality.
Thank you for the prompt! That would do for the prompt itself, but you didn't add the restrictions. In restrictions, you can write what you want me to focus on, what you want me not to focus on, what clichés you want me to avoid... Basically anything that would keep, in your opinion, the spirit of your idea intact and not allow me to accidentally turn it into a generic story with a quirk.

SailusGebel

Thank you for the prompt! That would do for the prompt itself, but you didn't add the restrictions. In restrictions, you can write what you want me to focus on, what you want me not to focus on, what clichés you want me to avoid... Basically anything that would keep, in your opinion, the spirit of your idea intact and not allow me to accidentally turn it into a generic story with a quirk.
Oh, I didn't understand that. I actually don't have any restrictions except for the open ending. As for length and everything else I don't care that much. Do as you think fit.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If you write a story about potty training, I can put it in my Lewd Poems collection!

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I am interested in writing some short stories sometime, but I want to make it an interesting challenge for me.
So, I'm asking you to give me some prompts that can't be easily devolved into a generic plot with a quirk, yet not complicated enough that half of the story would have to go into establishing a setting for it.
It also can't be a fanfic prompt!
Other than that - go wild.
If any prompts here will interest you, and you'll publish your own short story on some prompts - drop a link for us to check out.

Template: (can and likely will be updated with time)
1-2 sentences. Basically, the title
Long description of your prompt: optional. Here you describe the specifics of your idea.
Rules:
(aka why I can't just morph this prompt into a generic story)
1) this and that must be thus
2) this and that is not allowed
3) length must be more than this but less than that
4)...

Example:
Boy/girl sees everything around them as a game. Plot twist: it's unknown if they live in a game-like reality, or are imagining it all.
Long description: boy/girl think they live in an rpg-like world, with quests and stats and levels. Write it so it would be ambiguous whether or not they actually live in such a reality or it's all imagination, and how they go about their day. It's interesting to see how one would go about describing the character interacting with the world when they think it's a game and how the world would react, while the ambiguousness is still kept.
Rules:
1) < 4000 words
2) can't be isekai
3) can't be romance
4) protagonist must be a child (<14 years old) and should not exhibitany behaviour that is not "child-like"
5) no gore or violence
6) make it light-hearted
7) the other characters must interact with the main character
8) ambiguousness of the truth redarding game-likeness must be kept throughout the whole story.

Rules don't have to look exactly like this, but I wanted to give you a feel for the format and what restrictions I expect.
Also:
If you're writing a joke prompt, then leave a serious one too, please?
|.o)
How do you feel about the genre of BL?
If you're okay with it, then there's currently a BL anthology of short stories event going on here.
Of course, if you have zero interest in BL, then sorry for intruding.
>w<

Here's a prompt to make up for it:
Short description: A sentient leaf experiences a year of life before dying.
Rules:
It can't live longer than a year but it can be less if you wish.
Up to or less than 5000 words
The leaf must always be a leaf.

|.o)
If you are interested in the BL anthology, though, then tell me and I'll send the link to the thread.
|.<)

X

D

Deleted member 45782

Can it be a prompt we posted before on the forum? :blob_aww:

Maybe not good for a webnovel format, but maybe just a short story?

Short Description:
A recently-made new ghost must make their way out of the tunnels and the train wreckage, all while evading soul devouring creatures to reach their destinated light.

Long Description:
You were on a train heading to your usual routine. You were listening to music when you closed your eyes for a moment and fell asleep. You woke up to a dimly lit scene of train wreckage pieces and dead bodies everywhere. Including yours.

The train was crossing somewhere, and a large and deep sinkhole opened up underneath, with the road collapsing into the sewage tunnels. You can barely make out light at the end of the tunnel which is at the surface, but you fell pretty deep in the tunnels.

You know that recently deceased souls instantly gravitate to the light, however you cannot, due to your soul somehow being damaged and corrupted or tainted in the process of the train crash. You feel heavy and weighted down, so you have to take the long way to reach the surface of the sinkhole, where you believe if you're close enough to the light, you'll instantly be pulled towards it. However, there are soul-eating creatures lurking nearby as they are drawn to the fresh scent of death at accidents, and massive ones like this is a buffet feast to them.

You have to find a way to purify your soul so that you can reach the light. And avoid soul eating demons and malicious ghosts lurking about. Will you be able to make it or will you be devoured?

Rules:
- no isekai/no transmigration/no reincarnation. Just a simple goal to reach their light and the end. Whether they make it thu and how they do it is up to you.
- anything less than 15 or 20 ch. Can be 1 ch even. Just a good short horror story before bedtime. :blob_aww:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Never written BL but sue, I'll try and give it a go!
Okay!
Here's the link:

(^-^)
There's also a discord, if you ever want to chat with the others taking part in it so you can bounce ideas off with them or ask for advice on something.
(^-^)

Hope you enjoy it!
If you don't, then sorry.
orz

X