Shortly about how to make white-border tables not look like shit in the Light Mode

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Some tips for people who like me like to have their white-border tables nice and working in both light and dark modes. I spent lots of time to perfect my tables, just to realize that they look like an amateur work in the Light Mode since I've been targeting the Dark Mode from the start. #DarkModeMasterRace

First, here's how white border single-cell tables look in the light mode and dark mode while having only white border set:

As we can see, it looks a bit out of place in the white mode, since the background just leaks outside. To fix that, I'm using a single-cell trick. I set up my cell properties to have a white border and also set the table properties to have a border of the dark mode reader's color, which is #20282e. Like this.

And below is the effect. The right one looks exactly the same, doesn't it?

Now then, it's unfortunately not working with bigger, multi-cell/column/row tables, because the cell outer border is being overwritten and it ends up with white cell borders inside the grid and external black border, but still, to prevent the insides from leaking in the white mode, you can set up the table border in the table preferences as style-less white with at least 2-3px of size in the general tab. Something like this.

And this will be the effect. Notice the slightly embedded borders. It's not perfect, but still better than leaking out insides.

I'm still working on perfecting my tables, so I might change this in the future or add some more tips. If you have any questions, I'll try to help, but heads up, I won't be able to check every hour ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also, the pics are mosaiced because it's kinda spoiler from my own novel. The effect shown above can be checked in the 4th chapter of it, while the images are a bit further into the story.

Last edited:

FlyingPirateCat

My tips for you:
Instead typing something like "#ffffff", you can just type "white", "black", "purple".....
satans blood.jpg
evil smile.jpg
visor glasses.png

Also, instead of white border, maybe you should consider gray color.

Last edited:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
My tips for you:
Instead typing something like "#ffffff", you can just type "white", "black", "purple".....

Also, instead of white border, maybe you should consider gray color.

I prefer using hex codes, kinda my little perversion from IT background, and also, I don't usually write the codes but use the color picker. Unless I have an exact shade in mind.

And I made this little guide for those who WANT to use white borders. This was the whole principle behind it. The tables in that certain series I write have to be pinkish with white text and white cell/table borders :blob_nom: If I used gray borders it would be contradictory to what I wanted to achieve (the border color of the dark mode reader's background).