Should I continue writing a story that's been left in the dust for a month or so?

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
I've written this story for around 2 months, but I stopped writing it. It's currently been a month or so since I've stopped writing it. There were many factors, I'm just gonna talk about the 3 biggest ones. One of them was that I didn't like the way I wrote the beginning chapters, I thought that they were too edgy. Another one was that I became busy with school, I'm currently in 12th grade and am preparing for university. And finally, the most prominent issue was that the feedback from the story was terrible, people rated it terribly, and no one told me why it sucked. The comments section was barren as well. In the end, I gave up and the story was axed.

Today, since I was curious about how much more terrible the feedback had become, I came back. To my surprise, the ratings went up, and one reader actively commented on each chapter. On the latest chapter that was posted ages ago, that same reader said that they supported my story and gave it kind words. I was baffled by it, I felt a bit touched by those kind words, and now, I'm not sure if I should continue it or not.

D

Deleted member 29316

I've written this story for around 2 months, but I stopped writing it. It's currently been a month or so since I've stopped writing it. There were many factors, I'm just gonna talk about the 3 biggest ones. One of them was that I didn't like the way I wrote the beginning chapters, I thought that they were too edgy. Another one was that I became busy with school, I'm currently in 12th grade and am preparing for university. And finally, the most prominent issue was that the feedback from the story was terrible, people rated it terribly, and no one told me why it sucked. The comments section was barren as well. In the end, I gave up and the story was axed.

Today, since I was curious about how much more terrible the feedback had become, I came back. To my surprise, the ratings went up, and one reader actively commented on each chapter. On the latest chapter that was posted ages ago, that same reader said that they supported my story and gave it kind words. I was baffled by it, I felt a bit touched by those kind words, and now, I'm not sure if I should continue it or not.
You could always rewrite your work as long as you haven't published it yet; and even if you published it, you can still rewrite your work (though there'd be confusion among your readers if you do that, so try to minimize rewriting it when it's already published).

I got a story that took 10 years to finish just one volume, and some readers are complaining about the female MC being irritating and annoying. But then, I know what I'm writing, so I just continue. For you to build confidence in your work, you should get yourself a few writing buddies that could review on your work (or someone who knows what they're talking about stories). It's not a 100% working solution, but it would surely boost your confidence.

As for the feedback, there are times that readers would comment based on their biases. As long as you know what you want to show or tell in your story, you should just continue writing. If the criticisms become too much, take a break, and study their feedback. Some may be legit, so take notice of those and rectify it on your next volumes.

Trust me, I've been going through it. That's why I'm taking a hiatus now.

Razzle-Dazzle

I'm not sure if I should continue it or not.
:blob_hmm: :blob_hmm: :blob_hmm:
This might just be my opinion, but... To the question of should a person continue writing... it depends on the reason for writing it. You made characters and a world, if there is more story of that place of those people you want to tell... you should.

But that being said, re-writing something, be it because you are now a better writer, or part of the story needed revising, I think re-writing is not a bad thing. If revising a story becomes a major change but still retain a lot of the same things, I think is fine to think of the previous version to be a draft, and start a new.

D

Deleted member 29316

If I may still add, try releasing your story once you finished a book or a volume, or an arc. That way, you could rectify the inconsistencies in the story before publishing it. Don't write, and publish immediately. Correct the plot holes first.

Another advantage of this kind of release is that it's favorable for your schedule, since you're prepping for uni. Once you managed to have a lot of backlogs, you can release it on a steady pace, thus giving your readers a 'feel of consistency' as well as being 'easy' on your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Just do it. Dont be a pussy or imma fuck ya

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
Frankly, just go for it. The story has already been abandoned once. The worst that could happen is it becomes abandoned again, in which case nothing is lost, it's just going back to square one.

Well, in truth, this was my second time abandoning it. The first time I abandoned it was in June, for around 2 weeks. I was busy studying for exams(it got delayed because of Corona), there was no one reading it, and I felt a deep regret in writing the first few chapters. Now that I've done it again, I'm not too sure if I could guarantee myself from not abandoning it permanently when I continue it again. It feels a bit wasteful if I pushed my efforts focusing on writing this novel again and abandoning it at the end, when I could've done something more productive like putting more focus on prepping for university.

I don't know, I haven't put that much thought into this since I've only thought about it today.

D

Deleted member 29316

Well, in truth, this was my second time abandoning it. The first time I abandoned it was in June, for around 2 weeks. I was busy studying for exams(it got delayed because of Corona), there was no one reading it, and I felt a deep regret in writing the first few chapters. Now that I've done it again, I'm not too sure if I could guarantee myself from not abandoning it permanently when I continue it again. It feels a bit wasteful if I pushed my efforts focusing on writing this novel again and abandoning it at the end, when I could've done something more productive like putting more focus on prepping for university.

I don't know, I haven't put that much thought into this since I've only thought about it today.
Well, in the end, it's you who would be able to see the value in what you're doing. If you think you're wasting your time just because of the feedback of some people, then you may go and abandon your work.

But do remember that not every successful thing started as a hit. Some began as 'failures', like The Great Gatsby, Van Gogh's works...etc. Those only became successful because its creators dared to try.

Maybe what you need is a break, not total abandonment of your work. It's pretty common, now that you must be stressed out prepping for uni. Take a rest, and when you think you've rested enough, ask yourself if you should abandon your work.

I myself am stressed out dealing with some capricious readers, that's why I'm taking a break (hiatus).

When you're tired or stressed, those are the times THAT YOU SHOULDN'T decide.

D

Deleted member 29316

By the way, just to add, though it's a bit unrelated, I also went through self-doubt about my drawings before. I stopped drawing for a year, thinking that I'm not suited for it.

But then, something happened, and I realized, I wanted to draw. Not because people around me likes my illustrations (they hated it, got bullied for it too...), but because I love creating characters.

Fast forward to present, I'm now a licensed animator (in my country). Just because you started low doesn't mean you'd stay low. Do your best with your works, and there's something that you'd get out from it.

TLCsDestiny

I agree with a couple of peeps here. What is the reason you started and why would you continue?
Depending on your answer you'll know if you should stop or how you should continue.

If all else fails just think we are iddy biddy specs and it doesn't really matter...lol