Should I listen to the readers or continue with the story as planned?

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Hello

I imagine that many have gone through the same thing, you are writing something with a general plan of how the story will play out. But as the chapters go out, readers begin to ask or demand for things that you already have planned to pass or explain later as the story progresses.

My problem is that in my story it is about a protagonist who has already finished his first adventure and as his second adventure progresses, he realizes that it is related to things that happened in the first, but little by little. The story begins right at the beginning of the second adventure, but my readers ask a lot about what happened in the first, although the story tries to tell the same thing but little by little.

So I don't know what to do, whether to make a simple summary of what happened, so as not to reveal the script twists I planned, to continue with my original plan, or to tell me everything. It's something readers have been asking me quite often about what happened in the past.

A guide of more or less how I had planned how to make my story:

First part
Appear a war against dragons The protagonist wins it with a gem that fulfills wishes in exchange for something and a sword At the end of the war, only the protagonist remembers what happened and ends in a world where dragons never existed.

In the second part, where the story begins
The protagonist is trapped in a war between nations and finds himself with the gem that fulfills wishes, so he wishes to protect it, and later he finds himself with the sword. As the story progresses and the enemies look for the gem, the protagonist tells his allies about his past in the war against the dragons, the price of making a wish on the gem and where he got the sword from. Because for the protagonist it is a tragic memory that he does not want to remember.

I imagine that readers are really looking to be confident that if I had the first part already completed so that there is no script hole left. But I think that if I tell that then it would spoil part of the story I had planned.

That is why I wanted to ask to see what you think about what I should do

Thank you

D

Deleted member 29316

You have to ask yourself first why do you write. If you're looking for a fast, easy way to get popular, then by all means, you listen to your readers. However, if you're willing to gamble on your story's concept, as well as planning to write for long, then you should aim to focus on your story's original goals/plans rather than pandering to the readers.

See, the risks of listening to your readers include the loss of direction for your story, loss of 'identity' for your story, and also, you might find yourself getting burned out one day because it is not your story anymore.

However, doing your original concept risks alienating some of your readers (and losing popularity), because they might not like the direction your story is going to take.

In the end, it's how you see yourself as a writer and your story as an author.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
WHEN YOU HAVE A PLAN, STICK TO IT. DO NOT, BY ANY MEANS, REVEAL SHIT TO READERS. AT ALL.

Remember, this is how your train goes. You absolutely SHOULD NOT bend over just because your readers are curious. Instead, give them hints and implications. Lead them around circles with vague answers. Blue ball them. Leave them curious and deathly wanting more. Hell, even tell them to know themselves on coming chapters.

There's a guy who always comments on my chapters asking for oncoming events. I always leave either vague answers, or random ass quotes interjected with red herrings. You have to keep your readers engaged with your story for them to stay as readers, and one of the way to do that is to LURE them, not SERVE them.

You are writing for yourself after all, not for them.

So keep those lips zip-loc tight, and at most, do a little strip tease to have fun with your readers, then come round to a windmill kick in the face with your high heels.

As for the plot itself, don't. Like I said, the readers are the one entering your domain. If you bend to their will on how the story goes (unless you're a choose-your-own-adventure type book), readers will just acknowledge that there's simply no mystery to the story anymore, and that they can dictate the flow by simply incessantly asking. As stated, NEVER BEND TO YOUR READERS' WILL. STICK TO THE PLAN. That's what they're here for in the first place anyway.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
I would say it highly depends. If you get advice on how to do what is already there better, or how to improve things you already want to do, then absolutely listen to readers. If readers want to you to change or rewrite the story in ways that do not fit your vision for it, then do not listen to readers. That said, if someone gives suggestions that don't fit what you want, it isn't a bad thing either, as it shows they are interested in the story and are thinking ahead and wondering how things will go.

The key thing is to balance your goals and plans with what the readers are interested in, and determine if both can be merged without harming your goals and plans or not.

jabathehut

Resident Troll
Hello

I imagine that many have gone through the same thing, you are writing something with a general plan of how the story will play out. But as the chapters go out, readers begin to ask or demand for things that you already have planned to pass or explain later as the story progresses.

My problem is that in my story it is about a protagonist who has already finished his first adventure and as his second adventure progresses, he realizes that it is related to things that happened in the first, but little by little. The story begins right at the beginning of the second adventure, but my readers ask a lot about what happened in the first, although the story tries to tell the same thing but little by little.

So I don't know what to do, whether to make a simple summary of what happened, so as not to reveal the script twists I planned, to continue with my original plan, or to tell me everything. It's something readers have been asking me quite often about what happened in the past.

First part
Appear a war against dragons The protagonist wins it with a gem that fulfills wishes in exchange for something and a sword At the end of the war, only the protagonist remembers what happened and ends in a world where dragons never existed.

The protagonist is trapped in a war between nations and finds himself with the gem that fulfills wishes, so he wishes to protect it, and later he finds himself with the sword. As the story progresses and the enemies look for the gem, the protagonist tells his allies about his past in the war against the dragons, the price of making a wish on the gem and where he got the sword from. Because for the protagonist it is a tragic memory that he does not want to remember.

I imagine that readers are really looking to be confident that if I had the first part already completed so that there is no script hole left. But I think that if I tell that then it would spoil part of the story I had planned.

Thank you
the readers will give you garbage advice, however you can extract useful information from how they react to your story. The only important thing is to find out what parts and why they leave readers unfulfilled. ignore proscriptive advice

Box

Let's take this short and simple.
Who do you write for? Yourself or the readers?
Who has all the future plans, plot twists, characters development?
Novels represent each author unique imaginary world, it stand for the writer personality.
Whether it is good or bad, the best thing is when you are yourself, the only one leading your story.
It is a good idea to get other people's opinions. But, please consult and think properly before making the final decision.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Go with what your heart tells you. Take the readers' feedback but fare it against your own plan and ideas. If it enlightens you, change things. If it seems wrong, ignore it. As rude and weird as it sounds, people don't know what they want. Something that seems good to them can ruin the whole "product".

Horizon42

I've suffered a similar problem. I would never do this, but I do have a good solution for you. Stories with complex plots are really hard to write in the traditional scribblehub style. You usually see it a lot more in more offical works where you can keep reading on and on. No need to ask questions when the next part of the story is right there.

My advice would be to reveal chapters in batches so readers can immediately persue the next chapter. Each batch could reveal a little bit of the story, enough that people can tell something is going on, but not exactly what.

Me personally, I'd just post a false chapter explaing to my readers that I have something going on and I can't spoil it.

Now sometimes readers have very valid advice sometimes. If you acknowledge it and are unwilling to adapt your story in a better way that can still accomplish your goals. Then be honest about it and just say: "hey guys, I know I said I'm open to advice, but I'm really not." (Sorry, I'm just venting about a particular author who writes really good but isn't willing to accept advice when they asked for it.) Just be honest to your readers, be honest to yourself, and try to put yourself in your readers' shoes.

Gastic

Hello

First part

Thank you
Well it seems weird to me to tell a story at the sequel, how are the readers supposed to acclimate and sympathize with the character if they didn’t see their struggles from the ground up. By the time of the second adventure one would have worked out their flaws so the readers have nothing to grasp onto. It just seems like tossing someone into watching episode 600 of one piece and giving them info in small flashbacks or relationships from the characters, it just doesn’t make sense to me. You need to give the character a good base for who they are and try to divert the readers away from the past if you don’t want to focus on it. It only makes sense to you because you know the story of the first, it doesn’t hurt to take a little reader suggestion but it is your story and I have no idea where or what direction it’s heading in.

Gastic

Well it seems weird to me to tell a story at the sequel, how are the readers supposed to acclimate and sympathize with the character if they didn’t see their struggles from the ground up. By the time of the second adventure one would have worked out their flaws so the readers have nothing to grasp onto. It just seems like tossing someone into watching episode 600 of one piece and giving them info in small flashbacks or relationships from the characters, it just doesn’t make sense to me. You need to give the character a good base for who they are and try to divert the readers away from the past if you don’t want to focus on it. It only makes sense to you because you know the story of the first, it doesn’t hurt to take a little reader suggestion but it is your story and I have no idea where or what direction it’s heading in.
Also SOMETIMES not all the readers give shitty advice so don’t listen to them all.

Nyaa

As a reader, I always tell authors this: Write what you want how you want to write it. Changing the plan to appease a few grumpy readers will ultimately end with a worse result than if you're doing it your way with your full passion behind it.

If I'm following a story, then that already means I like the way the author is doing things - suddenly changing it up and doing things someone else's way would only ruin something I'm enjoying as-is. Any wishes or suggestions I post in the comments are just my own selfishness and I only truly want to see them in the story if it truly fits with your plan.

Don't be led astray by the comments of us self-serving incompetents. We have our wishlist and you have yours, but it's yours that got us to start reading and yours that will keep us reading - not ours.

Keep doing what you've been doing and keep everyone happy (though a few will always gripe) - or appease the complainers and piss off everyone else...

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Hello

First part

Thank you
Dont listen to the readers. You will ruin your story.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Hello

First part

Thank you

Never bend yourself due to the will of the readers. That doesn't mean to always ignore them, you should listen to see if anything they say can contribute to your story. If so then you can implement it in your own way. But don't change your story to appease readers, cause at that point it wouldn't be your story anymore. And if it isn't your story anymore, neither you nor even them will enjoy it as much.

That said, when leaving out information, I would also take a step back and think from the readers point of view when writing. Cause sometimes leaving things out can not just create mystery or suspense but also make the story incoherent. Thus when leaving out stuff and showing it little by little, presentation is important. Do remember you have the ability to distract the readers in the events of now, not just the events of the past to keep them hooked. (A path isn't always about the destination but the way someone got there)

So to answer your question, do whatever makes your story better. Not what sparks people at the present.

DubstheDuke

In my opinion, the readers aren't the ones writing the story, and as such the author isn't obligated to listen to them. Of course, address things. However, do it on your own plan. Don't give into the pressure to make a big reveal before it's proper schedule.

DreamOfRen

Stay true to what you want, unless you have a reason not to.
For example, if you're writing to get readers--then make content they like.
Otherwise, write what you originally planned. You'll be happier if you're achieving your goals.

dvelasquez

Personally, I did something similar to you. I'm writing a novel with an MC that, basically, has already grown in multiple adventures. So it's like writing a sequel without even writing the beginning. I thought of how I wanted to do it, and I'm keeping to it. Because I'm honestly writing for myself (and as a way to grow as a writer). That's what you have to ask yourself. What do you want to do? Write for your readers, or yourself?

I chose to keep going on with what I originally thought. Not stopping or starting a new novel with the origins of the MC, even if that has given me a few comments of readers who didn't like the idea (they weren't bad ones, and I actually understand that my novel won't be liked by everyone).

Basically, who has to like what you're writing, is you. If you feel that you don't like how things are going in your novel, you act, but only if that's how you feel. Not how readers feel, as I assure you, as there will be some who won't like it, there will surely be readers who will like it. Or heck, even those that not even liking your novel, will keep reading it (And not necessarily out of bad intentions).

Silver_Sky

The only time to listen to readers are if they have ACTUAL relative advice.
Like explaining a plot hole you have, or maybe bringing something to attention such a character's out of well, character reaction or such.

Listening to readers is not something you should do in relation to story progress it's literally them interjecting what they like in a story.
A 'bad guy/girl' would turn from an antagonist to love interest if they like them enough to hell with the story or progress.
The worst stories that have your problem is Harem stories the author tries to placate everyone and ends up with 20~30+ girls and forgets half of them totally ruining a third the story - characterization-