Writing Should I Westernized the names of my characters?

Should I Westernized the names of my characters?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Just passing by:blob_whistle::blobtaco:. I'm thinking whether I should change the name of my characters into a more westernized form (my characters are using Chinese names - Zhou Qi, Cheng Shi, etc.). I Need some feedbacks and advice on this since many of my readers are asking for a change. And I'm torn since it feels like I'm shredding my babies. Just need some advice from other authors out-there-somewhere. Thanks in advance.:blob_hide:

Owl

Nervous writer
I choose my names as I like, I currently have 3 different types (Japanese, Chinese, old nordic English) and I'm gonna have one more with my next story. Honestly, I don't see why people would insist on having changes on names? I wouldn't do it, because - just like you - my babies have their names, and I can't just change that! I personally love how Chinese names sound

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Change character names?! What next, would they want a kidney too?! :blob_thor:

But seriously, It all depends on the style of your story. If it's based in that part of the world then I wouldn't bother to change it as it wouldn't merit what you're aiming for. People don't understand too that sometimes you make your names based on personality traits, personal meanings, things like that. I'm not sure why the readers would want a change in names but this is your story and your creations. Never forget that.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I choose my names as I like, I currently have 3 different types (Japanese, Chinese, old nordic English) and I'm gonna have one more with my next story. Honestly, I don't see why people would insist on having changes on names? I wouldn't do it, because - just like you - my babies have their names, and I can't just change that! I personally love how Chinese names sound
Thanks for the advice. :blob_highfive: . I'll take note of this. Hmnn. I also like the current names. It's just that many readers are getting confused by their names. So you know, as an author...for the readers.. ehemm.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠

But seriously, It all depends on the style of your story. If it's based in that part of the world then I wouldn't bother to change it as it wouldn't merit what you're aiming for. People don't understand too that sometimes you make your names based on personality traits, personal meanings, things like that. I'm not sure why the readers would want a change in names but this is your story and your creations. Never forget that.
Ya got a nice point there. :blob_joy::blobtaco: . Well, the current status of the world is a bit-post apocalyptic where chaos ensues. Early years of the wielders (new kinds of people with gifts - power, magic, etc). As for my setting, its a city called Trent. Well, those things aside, maybe I should start mixing up the names of other upcoming characters. I found a nice inspiration from this gonna note your comment down. :blob_highfive: Thanks for the advice!

Samuel_Spader

Don't Westernize, but perhaps make a Glossary of the characters. If you're afraid of spoiling the characters out of that, then just make a short description of what the character is like and what chapters are they found.
This is just a personal opinion, since the most trouble I had when reading Chinese novels was the names and who they were.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
:blob_teary: To be honest, I have a hard time distinguishing them as they sound all too similar to me. When you are indeed not used to Asian names, they can be quite confusing.

DDTStudios

I'm used to any types of names. My character's names are kind of mixed. Some of my characters have more asian names, some have more western names, while some have a bit of both.

Ex. Drew Li -Mix Western and Chinese
Eren Mandell- Western
Srishadvit Seohang- Indian and Korean

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Simple, if the character is originated from the place where the naming is normal, it's fine. If the character is not from the place (eg. Asia), but has some kind of lineage or just parents from there, also works. If you have multiple characters from multiple cultures, don't try to forcefully give them westernized names. This doesn't mean a character from Japan can't have western name, but well, imho just give a reason, like their family just lived there.

Similar with the place where story takes action. If I had one in medieval fantasy world/town with European vibes, I'd use those. If even in the same world MC visits or meets someone from a village that is like oriental or smth, use eastern ones, etc.

So, if you are writing chinese or whatever kind of action and it feels proper for you to use chinese names, it's all gucci. I won't say no even if the MC is a fucking cultivator named John Wick as long as it has a background and it's not just a whim of their parent's naming sense (although that could be a decent comedic reason).

Personally, I can switch my focus between those. I read plenty japanese, chinese and korean shit and already got used to the naming sense. Doesn't mean I don't confuse some characters at the start of the novel, but having them forcibly be named with western ones even though the action takes place in fictional Seoul would be kind of a weird thing.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Don't Westernize, but perhaps make a Glossary of the characters. If you're afraid of spoiling the characters out of that, then just make a short description of what the character is like and what chapters are they found.
This is just a personal opinion, since the most trouble I had when reading Chinese novels was the names and who they were.
This might really help, sometimes I tend to forget that we have a glossary and it's used for that!:blob_frown::blob_facepalm:

As long as the names make sense for the area and story you should be fine.
Copy that!:blob_cookie:

:blob_teary: To be honest, I have a hard time distinguishing them as they sound all too similar to me. When you are indeed not used to Asian names, they can be quite confusing.
Hmnn, I think I can change a little especially the confusing seemingly similar or sound-alike names ( Zhou Qi/ Zhai Baiwu). But I'll change it naturally through plot progression rather than bashing it in the story. Anyway, do you use the glossary feature?

Simple, if the character is originated from the place where the naming is normal, it's fine. If the character is not from the place (eg. Asia), but has some kind of lineage or just parents from there, also works. If you have multiple characters from multiple cultures, don't try to forcefully give them westernized names. This doesn't mean a character from Japan can't have western name, but well, imho just give a reason, like their family just lived there.

Similar with the place where story takes action. If I had one in medieval fantasy world/town with European vibes, I'd use those. If even in the same world MC visits or meets someone from a village that is like oriental or smth, use eastern ones, etc.

So, if you are writing chinese or whatever kind of action and it feels proper for you to use chinese names, it's all gucci. I won't say no even if the MC is a fucking cultivator named John Wick as long as it has a background and it's not just a whim of their parent's naming sense (although that could be a decent comedic reason).

Personally, I can switch my focus between those. I read plenty japanese, chinese and korean shit and already got used to the naming sense. Doesn't mean I don't confuse some characters at the start of the novel, but having them forcibly be named with western ones even though the action takes place in fictional Seoul would be kind of a weird thing.
The world setting in my mind is a world without borders. Prolly why I chose a Chinese name for my character. But I also use western names. I think ya also have a very nice point here. Gonna write this in my notes. I'll use this on one:blob_highfive::blobtaco: of my characters *(although that could be a decent comedic reason)* .Thankies!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
This might really help, sometimes I tend to forget that we have a glossary and it's used for that!:blob_frown::blob_facepalm:

Copy that!:blob_cookie:

Hmnn, I think I can change a little especially the confusing seemingly similar or sound-alike names ( Zhou Qi/ Zhai Baiwu). But I'll change it naturally through plot progression rather than bashing it in the story. Anyway, do you use the glossary feature?

The world setting in my mind is a world without borders. Prolly why I chose a Chinese name for my character. But I also use western names. I think ya also have a very nice point here. Gonna write this in my notes. I'll use this on one:blob_highfive::blobtaco: of my characters *(although that could be a decent comedic reason)* .Thankies!

Not really. I mostly read Chinese stuff in mangaesque form, so I don't have to remember names but just appearances. That helps. But in your case, if I see the name often enough it will stick like in the case of protagonists. But for minor characters it gets hard to remember.

LostLibrarian

No matter the language you'll get problems if the names sound too similar. If you have westernized names with Alfred, Adolf, Adele, Alexander, Abigail, and Anthony people will get confused. It's the same problem squared for chinese novels, because many readers (me included) don't see small differences that easy. If there is Xao and Bao, that is more or less the same. "The character with [...]Aoo". If half the characters have a Qin or the same, it gets even worse. It's like using Alfred and Alfredo in the same story.

If you need chinese names for feels, that's alright. But I would go through all names and look whether a person without deeper knowledge of the language could say their names in his mind and they would sound different. Not a difference between Bao and Bâo (or whatever there is), but really the "stupid way to say the name".

If those are different enough, things should be fine... at least for your main characters.
And if that isn't enough, try giving important characters a short description only they get: "The man with the weird beard", "The woman with the special eyes", "Her usual white scarf", whatever. It'll give readers another hand...

Last edited:

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
You can name your characters whatever the fuck you want. Be the master of your own destiny. Just try and keep the same style of name in the same region. I don't want the three best friends from childhood named George, Chang, and Shadow. That ruins immersion more than anything.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

Amen! Exactly what I was going to say <3

NirShrall

The only problem I have with Chinese names is that they sometimes sound too similar and it can get confusing. There was once a story where the name of the antagonist was Xiao Shangguan or so, and the little sister of the protagonist's best friend was called Xiao Shaggugan. :blob_dizzy:
My mind couldn't help but protest. It was a very tiresome read until the antagonist was eventually slapped into oblivion.

Still, you are the master of your own story, so pick what you like because that is what matters in the end. People read your story because they like your style, after all.