Should I write longer chapters?

Michuyu

Hi! I just started writing a story and I was wondering if you can check it out? >.< And let me know if the chapters are too short? Thank you so much! One reason why I am writing short chapters is that I am trying to update every day, but maybe I can update every other day if I try to write longer chapters ^^ ?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Honestly, if you're looking for readers, I suggest you don't. People are always looking for small, short, bite-sized casual reads with fast-paced plots and easy-to-swallow stories. And that's from personal experience. Check this out:

Screenshot_20210115_210032.jpg

Compared to the other stories on the site, these AREN'T good numbers. At most, do 2-3k per chapter. However, if you're aiming for DAILY releases, 1.5-2k is totally enough.

Last edited:

Michuyu

Honestly, if you're looking for readers, I suggest you don't. People are always looking for small, short, bite-sized casual reads with fast-paced plots and easy-to-swallow stories. And that's from personal experience. Check this out:

Compared to the other stories on the site, there AREN'T good numbers. At most, do 2-3k per chapter. However, if you're aiming for DAILY releases, 1.5-2k is totally enough.
Thank you!! This is super helpful!! >.< I honestly can't imagine writing 3k words per chapter anyway haha <3

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
I honestly can't imagine writing 3k words per chapter anyway haha
*Hides in 5k+ chapter*

I have had a really bad habit of getting close to 7k with my more recent chapters.
My numbers aren't as bad as those examples, but if/when I rewrite things I do want to try smaller chapters, more chapters = more exposure.
I would say, don't try to push yourself, it's not fun to burnout a bit. Do what feels comfortable for you, I guess? At least, that's my plan from now on.

Michuyu

*Hides in 5k+ chapter*

I have had a really bad habit of getting close to 7k with my more recent chapters.
My numbers aren't as bad as those examples, but if/when I rewrite things I do want to try smaller chapters, more chapters = more exposure.
I would say, don't try to push yourself, it's not fun to burnout a bit. Do what feels comfortable for you, I guess? At least, that's my plan from now on.
I had a friend who wrote really long chapters like that too xD You guys are writing gods haha! I will try not to burn out ^^ thank you for your feedback! <3

Michuyu

Personally, the best quality:quantity ratio in my opinion are biweekly releases. Ample time to plan, write, and edit. That's what I'm planning after March, anyway.
That's true! I'm trying my hand at that anniversary contest though >.< and Idk if I can follow a biweekly release schedule and still be able to get enough reach/ words in before the deadline. hehe I'm sure I won't win or get even close, but there's no harm in trying right? :'D Thank you for your feedback though! ^^