Shout out other people's work.

Jemini

Just found something that I'm honestly shocked is as good as it is, and thought I'd give it a shout out. But, it's not fair to just shout out this one series because I'm interested in it. So, let's make this a thing.

The rules, shout out anything you think is good. Only condition, it CANNOT be your own work. It has to be something that someone else wrote and you enjoyed reading.

My nominee is "Nostalgic Gamer in a Cultivation World." And... it's almost exactly what it sounds like. It's a cultivation-based world, in which the protagonist SOMEHOW keeps encountering worlds that are oddly similar to a bunch of video games he's played. Worse, they're actually all real PS1 or PC games that exist in the real world. So, it's basically the writers overpowered OC going through and completely taking advantage of their knowledge of a bunch of classic titles that a lot of 90s kids have probably played themselves when they were young.

So. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, right? Well... that's exactly what surprised me. This thing is actually REALLY freaking good. It has all the hallmarks of something that's going to be a completely lame guy-stu fan-fic. Well... actually, the only thing in that line I'm going to contest is that it's not lame. Somehow, this actually manages to be really good for a few reasons.

1. The writer demonstrates they have an excellent level of knowledge on all of the classic titles they're including in this.

2. They present a really compelling reason on why this world is the way it is, and they never loose sight of that central driving thread in the story.

3. Of course the MC is going to be completely overpowered and break the "game." So, the author addresses this problem and manages it well. They completely lean into the idea of the main character being completely overpowered, they amp it up to 11, and then they play off a lot of the OP nature of the main character for comedy. Comedy somehow makes it all work out a whole heck of a lot better. I've seen this gimmick done before, but somehow it just works better when it's done with real existing nostalgic game titles.

4. Despite the main character being super OP, the writer still manages to write things in such a way that the MC has challenging opponents, and when those challenging opponents appear you really do get a real sense of threat. As in, there is a very real risk of things going wrong. So, it manages to keep the tension up.

So, yeah. It's good. It's far better than the genre and synopsis would lead you to believe. Seriously. Check it out. And by check it out, I don't mean go over there and take a look at the tags and the synopsis. Actually read a few chapters before making a judgement on this thing.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Just found something that I'm honestly shocked is as good as it is, and thought I'd give it a shout out. But, it's not fair to just shout out this one series because I'm interested in it. So, let's make this a thing.

The rules, shout out anything you think is good. Only condition, it CANNOT be your own work. It has to be something that someone else wrote and you enjoyed reading.

My nominee is "Nostalgic Gamer in a Cultivation World." And... it's almost exactly what it sounds like. It's a cultivation-based world, in which the protagonist SOMEHOW keeps encountering worlds that are oddly similar to a bunch of video games he's played. Worse, they're actually all real PS1 or PC games that exist in the real world. So, it's basically the writers overpowered OC going through and completely taking advantage of their knowledge of a bunch of classic titles that a lot of 90s kids have probably played themselves when they were young.

So. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, right? Well... that's exactly what surprised me. This thing is actually REALLY freaking good. It has all the hallmarks of something that's going to be a completely lame guy-stu fan-fic. Well... actually, the only thing in that line I'm going to contest is that it's not lame. Somehow, this actually manages to be really good for a few reasons.

1. The writer demonstrates they have an excellent level of knowledge on all of the classic titles they're including in this.

2. They present a really compelling reason on why this world is the way it is, and they never loose sight of that central driving thread in the story.

3. Of course the MC is going to be completely overpowered and break the "game." So, the author addresses this problem and manages it well. They completely lean into the idea of the main character being completely overpowered, they amp it up to 11, and then they play off a lot of the OP nature of the main character for comedy. Comedy somehow makes it all work out a whole heck of a lot better. I've seen this gimmick done before, but somehow it just works better when it's done with real existing nostalgic game titles.

4. Despite the main character being super OP, the writer still manages to write things in such a way that the MC has challenging opponents, and when those challenging opponents appear you really do get a real sense of threat. As in, there is a very real risk of things going wrong. So, it manages to keep the tension up.

So, yeah. It's good. It's far better than the genre and synopsis would lead you to believe. Seriously. Check it out. And by check it out, I don't mean go over there and take a look at the tags and the synopsis. Actually read a few chapters before making a judgement on this thing.

three problems....im a wee bit drunk and i hate a long synopsis so i didnt even wanna read it but i did and that leads to my second problem with this. It tells you specific events on whats gonna happen and i also hate spoilers unless they happen soon so nothing much is even ruined for me

tird, the cover man looks like a fucking twig. Like i vould sit on his back and break his spin and im not a big dude. My aesthetics plays a role in my desire to read a atory.

Its probably a good read, im not gonna say its not. But its the little things that turn me off.

I guess a forth gripe is theres no defined reason he has to challenge the gods? if they took the last fruit cup from him, i could understand, You dont just take a man's fruit cup fromhim unless you wanna throw hands. But...there's nothing. Why does he care? Sounds arbirary.

EDIT. My shout out i guess is...wait does it have to be from here? if not, i gotta say i love sherilyn kenyon's Acheron novel. Thst shit was good stuff, really made me tear up.
i dont read enough stories here specifically to make shoutouts...there's one i liked but cant recall the title

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Also if will be preferable if it’s only small stories. Underrated ones. We don’t want to read some story that everyone has read.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I would like to give Harbinger: Infinity a big shout-out. It's freaking awesome and criminally underappreciated.

Jemini

three problems....im a wee bit drunk and i hate a long synopsis so i didnt even wanna read it but i did and that leads to my second problem with this. It tells you specific events on whats gonna happen and i also hate spoilers unless they happen soon so nothing much is even ruined for me

tird, the cover man looks like a fucking twig. Like i vould sit on his back and break his spin and im not a big dude. My aesthetics plays a role in my desire to read a atory.

Its probably a good read, im not gonna say its not. But its the little things that turn me off.

I guess a forth gripe is theres no defined reason he has to challenge the gods? if they took the last fruit cup from him, i could understand, You dont just take a man's fruit cup fromhim unless you wanna throw hands. But...there's nothing. Why does he care? Sounds arbirary.

EDIT. My shout out i guess is...wait does it have to be from here? if not, i gotta say i love sherilyn kenyon's Acheron novel. Thst shit was good stuff, really made me tear up.
i dont read enough stories here specifically to make shoutouts...there's one i liked but cant recall the title

Err... take it from someone who's read the series... no, it doesn't spoil anything outside of chapter 1. Also, the story and synopsis do tell you why he has to challenge the gods. Answer, he doesn't actually have a reason to. It's the guy making the game worlds for him who wants him to, but he doesn't actually have any reason to do what this guy's trying to get him to do. He just wants to enjoy his freaking games.

Also if will be preferable if it’s only small stories. Underrated ones. We don’t want to read some story that everyone has read.

That is good. However, it also bears asking. What's the definition of a small story? Because if we compare this one I just recommended to the standard I've become used to, I actually would consider the one I just recommended small. However, I can see where it might be considered big from some other people's perspective.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Err... take it from someone who's read the series... no, it doesn't spoil anything outside of chapter 1. Also, the story and synopsis do tell you why he has to challenge the gods. Answer, he doesn't actually have a reason to. It's the guy making the game worlds for him who wants him to, but he doesn't actually have any reason to do what this guy's trying to get him to do. He just wants to enjoy his freaking games.

That is good. However, it also bears asking. What's the definition of a small story? Because if we compare this one I just recommended to the standard I've become used to, I actually would consider the one I just recommended small. However, I can see where it might be considered big from some other people's perspective.
Thanks for the clarification, sweet cheeks

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.

Alaska

Here’s something friend made. Just recommending it because it’s something that he should drop.https://www.scribblehub.com/series/491900/cruz-bible

Macha

Not a Klutz

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
I have a couple of them