Side characters to assist MC

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It might be weird, but I find myself liking works that have MC getting help from others and helping them back.

Maybe because I am sick of the interaction of MC killing/ maiming/ genociding others for reasons, I now enjoy stories that feature MCs doing some mundane things occasionally, the MC can be eldritch abomination or celestial deity, as long as he is mingling with other in a positive manner without any BS plotting, it makes the MC feel more human and the world more open.

... I don't know why I make this as a thread instead of just typing out as profile post, so I am just going to lengthen with more bullshit to go pass the 140 word count in order to justify my pointless creation of this thread, which inevitably will get this thread locked/ deleted as spam.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So... like a five man band?
So... like dragon quest but... novel?
... YyyeEEeesSSSsss???

Because I am reading shit novels featuring aloner MCs and most of the times they just do three things:
1. GRIND
2. KILL
3. FUCK... a whore that disappears by next paragraph.

So yeah, felt like a refresher when MC went out to the world, get help from someone (because it seems that everyone is fucking/ trying to fuck with MC or scheming the living fuck out of him) and MC not being a total ingrate will help those who brighten his life.

Like when Rudeus meeting Ruijerd.

Over here however, I never expect the sides to follow on MC's quest and they might get left behind or have future cameo.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
... YyyeEEeesSSSsss???

Because I am reading shit novels featuring aloner MCs and most of the times they just do three things:
1. GRIND
2. KILL
3. FUCK... a whore that disappears by next paragraph.

So yeah, felt like a refresher when MC went out to the world, get help from someone (because it seems that everyone is fucking/ trying to fuck with MC or scheming the living fuck out of him) and MC not being a total ingrate will help those who brighten his life.

Like when Rudeus meeting Ruijerd.
May I introduce you to slice-of-life Japanese isekai/fantasy novel? The protagonists do hang out like, a lot. But it's mainly with female characters so idk

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
There is a story about a high elf on novel updates. Type 120 years in search and you will find it. The author has a raw novel about a devil - that one is good too.
Both rely on others, of course.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
May I introduce you to slice-of-life Japanese isekai/fantasy novel? The protagonists do hang out like, a lot. But it's mainly with female characters so idk

No thanks.
There is a story about a high elf on novel updates. Type 120 years in search and you will find it. The author has a raw novel about a devil - that one is good too.
Both rely on others, of course.
That slice of life tag...

Le_ther

You know... I've been looking for a true extra side character.

Not a character that replaces the original mc as a extra(Novels extra, Author's pov, and etc.)

Not a character that is actually the mc but doesn't think so(I'm the best friend of the mc and eminence in the shadow)

But just a slice of life novel of a character perspective on the mc. He can just be the one narrating what's going on but unrelated to anything. Yes, it might be boring but just intriguing concept.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
You know... I've been looking for a true extra side character.

Not a character that replaces the original mc as a extra(Novels extra, Author's pov, and etc.)

Not a character that is actually the mc but doesn't think so(I'm the best friend of the mc and eminence in the shadow)

But just a slice of life novel of a character perspective on the mc. He can just be the one narrating what's going on but unrelated to anything. Yes, it might be boring but just intriguing concept.
I once thought that it might be cool.

Until I understand that I am just a pleb who enjoy wish fulfilment.

And to be honest, the idea sounds a bit like NTR, with the supposed MC just watching a dude living the MC life.

Us readers will have the watcher inception, witnessing the guy who witness an OP imba freak.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I'm not understanding the problem. Like, I'm reviewing my own stories and the MC deals with the "side characters". But there is "plotting" because a lack of plot is boring. You are telling me what you don't want. I need to know what you DO want. In HKN, the MC has a best friend. In IWS the MC is a duo with himself. He's like the odd couple living in one body. I that what you are looking for? FTS the MC is just trying to undo the wrongs committed by his previous body's occupant, so he interacts with everyone else trying to fix things. But none of these seem to match what you are looking for, from your OP.

Can you give some specific examples?

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
It might be weird, but I find myself liking works that have MC getting help from others and helping them back.

Maybe because I am sick of the interaction of MC killing/ maiming/ genociding others for reasons, I now enjoy stories that feature MCs doing some mundane things occasionally, the MC can be eldritch abomination or celestial deity, as long as he is mingling with other in a positive manner without any BS plotting, it makes the MC feel more human and the world more open.

... I don't know why I make this as a thread instead of just typing out as profile post, so I am just going to lengthen with more bullshit to go pass the 140 word count in order to justify my pointless creation of this thread, which inevitably will get this thread locked/ deleted as spam.
Man, you'll love the Dresden Files then

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I'm not understanding the problem. Like, I'm reviewing my own stories and the MC deals with the "side characters". But there is "plotting" because a lack of plot is boring. You are telling me what you don't want. I need to know what you DO want. In HKN, the MC has a best friend. In IWS the MC is a duo with himself. He's like the odd couple living in one body. I that what you are looking for? FTS the MC is just trying to undo the wrongs committed by his previous body's occupant, so he interacts with everyone else trying to fix things. But none of these seem to match what you are looking for, from your OP.

Can you give some specific examples?
... I have no clue of the acronyms you used.

Also, this is just me grumbling about the not-so-good novels that I had been binging to waste (not kill, waste) time with. Their content is mainly focusing on the MC and just him alone, which is what I enjoy.

But here is the issue from the ones that I had dropped, the authors who wrote their MC as a single minded person who only grinds and kills. The MC becomes a game character munchkin whose only life purpose is to ascend in life and nothing else.

Then there are the interactions between the side characters and MC, while I can accept them trying to befriend MC for benefits, I like it more when said relationship can grow into them being more than just dollar dollar bills. I know the whole "we have same ideology, hence buddies for life" is too much and the authors should take note not to overuse it, I find it a bit too realistic and cringe when everything just boils into cost and gain.

It is the same with MC too, I occasionally like the MC to butt his nose into others' problems not to get something out of it but rather, he just feels like doing "good" by caving a local bully's head in.

As for the whole "five man band", I am not a fan of reading a group in action together for most of the plot, I am more of the MC being a one man army while others provide support.

Ps. Though I have no clue what your acronyms are, those do sound interesting. Do they involve loads of punching?