Similar Series showing the exact same novels for most BL stories

uenala

This was an observation that the BL discord made today.

It seems like almost every story that has "Boys Love" set as its main genre has exactly the same "similar series".

If we go down the BL ranking:
  • 1. The Grandmaster’s weird disciple [BL]
    • Similar Series: Like a Ray in My Night, Wife, Please Stop Running Away!, The demon lord decided to marry the hero to win, Thin Ice
  • 3. Wife, Please Stop Running Away!
    • Similar Series: Like a Ray in My Night, The demon lord decided to marry the hero to win, Thin Ice
  • 4. Heavenly Soul [BL]
    • Similar Series: Like a Ray in My Night, Wife, Please Stop Running Away!, The demon lord decided to marry the hero to win, Thin Ice
  • 5. [BL] I Picked up a Husband While Trying To Be An Author
  • 6. Making my Naive Master Love only me
  • 7. Lovely Writing System
  • 8. My Real Life Dating-System?! [BL]
  • 9. Oh. My. Fate?!
  • 10. I transmigrated to the body of an insignificant character from a Dark BL novel!
  • 11. I am an Eggplant [BL]
  • 12. Reincarnated Into A Hell Hound Bl/Yaoi
  • 15. Disgraced 10 Minutes After Arrival
In other words, the same four series appears on everyone's similar series.

The BL stories ranked at #2, #13, #14 don't have the same similar series, but it seems like they might have a different genre (i.e. Gender Bender, or Smut) set as their "main genre".

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Either the system is bugged, or Tony's pockets got a direct wormhole to some hidden, lucrative hands.

hauntedwritings

Reactions: CL

CL

There were some recent changes, with stories that haven't been updated for 90 days becoming less apparent in recommendations. Feature request: Reduce prominence of long-inactive novels (without "finished" status) on similiar series
As a result, the number of possible recommendations will drop.
Sadly, it seems to me that it may also affect novels that were completed longer than 90 days ago.
That's sad, but I guess they get what they deserve (less exposure) for not finishing what they started.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
This is the same for a number of GL I checked too (the majority have "Stalked by an Eldritch Deity in Love", "I Transmigrated into My Little Sister's Cultivation Novel.", and "I Became the Hero's Bride to Save the Otherworld").

Those featured novels don't have different or more "similar series" either - they just have one less, since their own novel isn't included on the list.

That's sad, but I guess they get what they deserve (less exposure) for not finishing what they started.
But it looks like completed novels are also removed, punishing them for actually putting that work in. :')

• Sad
Reactions: CL

LinMeili

BL_Palace

Now there are ~7 series recommended across different BLs on SH. But they are still the same series regardless of the genre or tag combinations from which books they are recommended.

It seems more completed series were added to this small recommendation carousel, but the Similar Series still ignores the majority of stories and doesn't seem to check the tag/genre consistency, suggesting wildly dissimilar series.