Simple question, help a Kitty out.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I have been thinking about how to make my writing more approachable. I love to write long chapters, but I also know that I could break them into smaller chunks. So, I have been thinking of uploading my series in small chunks of chapters. Instead of 43 chapters, I will end up with over 100 chapters by the time I am done uploading the shorter version. Well, in the sense of chapter length. 1-2k words. Original goes from 2k+ up to 16k at one point.

I think 16k is the longest I have ever written a chapter to be. This isn't because I don't see natural stops. I do. I just felt like going and never really thought about how it might look like to others who might not have the time to read a full 10k chapter. Everyone told me to keep doing long, so I did, but I also realize that may scare people away.

At that point, I did not care, but I have gotten to the point that I am impacting my readers. A few have told me that my story has made their day and they look foward to my uploads. At that point, I noticed want everyone to be able to use my story as an escape. To be honest, I did not think anyone would like my story, but I was proven wrong. I realized I would like everyone to have the opportunity to do so. Even if they don't like the large word count or find it intimidating.

In this case, they can be able to have a bite-size version while having the option to read the original length if they get hooked. Or they want to see the end of the story quicker than I upload the short version.

In short, I am planning to cut my chapters for a friendlier format, but don't know if I could upload another series, labeling it as a short version instead of just replacing my long version. I don't want to delete my old one since it is how I started. I would like it to always be there.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or is there a rule that I am not aware of that prevents this? :blob_melt:

Thank you for your time guys!

Leyligne

Lots of people post rewrites, this isn’t much different.

Smaller chunks for an ADHD world, why not?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Write what you want to read, and someone else will also love it!

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
You can't please everyone, but I do understand if you want to attract more audience. Yeah, keeping the long version and having a separate short version is your best bet here. It's fine, I know of a story with a clean version on this site, so it's not against anything.

Temple

Oh this one is easy, cut the chapter up then drag the other part down next to it. So for example, chapter 10 is 9k, so you want to divide it into three 3k chapters. Edit that chapter 10 to be 3k, then make two new chapters with the other parts. Drag them down to be chapter 11 and chapter 12 then renumber everything upwards. Better do this rearranging first then renumber everything in one go. No need to make a new story or anything like that. Or if you want it to be 10.1 10.2 10.3 if you don't want to mess up the other numbering.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
You can't please everyone, but I do understand if you want to attract more audience. Yeah, keeping the long version and having a separate short version is your best bet here. It's fine, I know of a story with a clean version on this site, so it's not against anything.
Thanks! :blob_aww:
Oh this one is easy, cut the chapter up then drag the other part down next to it. So for example, chapter 10 is 9k, so you want to divide it into three 3k chapters. Edit that chapter 10 to be 3k, then make two new chapters with the other parts. Drag them down to be chapter 11 and chapter 12 then renumber everything upwards. Better do this rearranging first then renumber everything in one go. No need to make a new story or anything like that. Or if you want it to be 10.1 10.2 10.3 if you don't want to mess up the other numbering.
I was thinking of that, the thing is I don't want to mess with the long version. I feel like I might mess up and make a head ache. Plus, if anyone wants to read the long version they can go there too.:blob_melt:
800-1500 words is a decent count for a chapter so I've heard, going from past experience many told me to write longer chapers but my comfort zone is 100-400 words rarely do I write above that. Longer chapters and popular themes tend to attract readers here for the most part.
Shorter chapters will get more engagement. So, write as much as you want/can. :blob_aww: I just wanted to make my story accessible to everyone. Less intimidating.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I have been thinking about how to make my writing more approachable. I love to write long chapters, but I also know that I could break them into smaller chunks. So, I have been thinking of uploading my series in small chunks of chapters. Instead of 43 chapters, I will end up with over 100 chapters by the time I am done uploading the shorter version. Well, in the sense of chapter length. 1-2k words. Original goes from 2k+ up to 16k at one point.

I think 16k is the longest I have ever written a chapter to be. This isn't because I don't see natural stops. I do. I just felt like going and never really thought about how it might look like to others who might not have the time to read a full 10k chapter. Everyone told me to keep doing long, so I did, but I also realize that may scare people away.

At that point, I did not care, but I have gotten to the point that I am impacting my readers. A few have told me that my story has made their day and they look foward to my uploads. At that point, I noticed want everyone to be able to use my story as an escape. To be honest, I did not think anyone would like my story, but I was proven wrong. I realized I would like everyone to have the opportunity to do so. Even if they don't like the large word count or find it intimidating.

In this case, they can be able to have a bite-size version while having the option to read the original length if they get hooked. Or they want to see the end of the story quicker than I upload the short version.

In short, I am planning to cut my chapters for a friendlier format, but don't know if I could upload another series, labeling it as a short version instead of just replacing my long version. I don't want to delete my old one since it is how I started. I would like it to always be there.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or is there a rule that I am not aware of that prevents this? :blob_melt:

...Megu. My precious, my light, my sweet child...you need to know when to stop. Holy fuck. Keep it to around 2-3k words per chap. Readers need time to digest, you know.

I'd say the max should be 3~4k. Readers need breaks and, most importantly, some sense of accomplishment. Such girthy chapters are extremely intimating, and unless I'm really, really invested in the story - I'd most likely shelf it to never touch it again.

Also, new series for sure - and upload maybe once a day or every other day for maximum engagement. Though, you should probably notify your current readers.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast
Breaking things up into smaller bite sized chunks helps, It's tough to justify watching a two hour YT video but easy to watch dozens of ten min videos. Same logic here. a 20K chap will scare people away or make them think that they need to set aside a long period of time which may have them procrastinating your chap like "I'll get to it but let me get these other story chaps first since they are shorter"

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
"Simple question" proceeds to write a short essay.
I did bold the question. :3 But it's very me. I write too much, and I am aware. BUT Expression is life!

...Megu. My precious, my light, my sweet child...you need to know when to stop. Holy fuck. Keep it to around 2-3k words per chap. Readers need time to digest, you know.
Cake Senpai, I have learned my lesson! :blob_aww: However, scold me more, Senpai!

When I break the chapters, they will be at most 2k with a little hundred more, the shortest 1k. Nothing below that.

I'd say the max should be 3~4k. Readers need breaks and, most importantly, some sense of accomplishment. Such girthy chapters are extremely intimating, and unless I'm really, really invested in the story - I'd most likely shelf it to never touch it again.

Also, new series for sure - and upload maybe once a day or every other day for maximum engagement. Though, you should probably notify your current readers.
It is a completed series, but I will notify everyone. Will include in the notes that this is a short version of an already completed work. I will even the people reading the sequel! Well, when I am ready to post the short version. Though, it will not affect them as I will keep posting normally for them in souls. Then do a short version for souls, too. After gate, of course.

Though I will ask them to see if they prefer shorter chapters with more frequent updates when I get to the third of the trilogy! Or if more people engage, I will just keep them short. Probably will do that. So, thank you for that thought! c:

Breaking things up into smaller bite sized chunks helps, It's tough to justify watching a two hour YT video but easy to watch dozens of ten min videos. Same logic here. a 20K chap will scare people away or make them think that they need to set aside a long period of time which may have them procrastinating your chap like "I'll get to it but let me get these other story chaps first since they are shorter"
Mhm, I realized this a bit too late. I did not care before, but it seems like I can actually impact people's day-to-day. So, it motivated me to do a short version! :3 That way everyone can enjoy!

BlackKnightX

Different novels have different kinds of readers.

If you‘ve already written long chapters for this long, I think your readers already know what to expect, and that’s why they’re still reading your novel.

But if you change it suddenly, some of your readers might be dissatisfied. I think keep it as it is if you’ve already come this long.

If you wanna write a shorter chapter, then it’s better to start a new series. Though, you might gain different readers, then.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Different novels have different kinds of readers.

If you‘ve already written long chapters for this long, I think your readers already know what to expect, and that’s why they’re still reading your novel.

But if you change it suddenly, some of your readers might be dissatisfied. I think keep it as it is if you’ve already come this long.

If you wanna write a shorter chapter, then it’s better to start a new series. Though, you might gain different readers, then.
That is why I was going to do a normal version and a short version. Same series just posted differently. The short is accessible for everyone. And the normal one will be for my normal readers, who love long chapters. So they won't be affected. c:

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Wait you're all here writing less than 5k words on purpose and you feel actually good about the chapter
images (74).jpeg