[small thread] internet accountability is way too ez

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I've been on the internet for way too long than I've ever needed. I've been on every spectrum; from the raunchiest of forums to the most mainstream of blue checkmarks. Hell, I've been from /pol/ to Otherkin blogs and back. With that said, I want to talk a little bit about something I've noticed regarding my experiences within those communities.

Accountability on the internet, and just how overblown everything gets.

I believe that the intersect between the unparalleled archival power of the internet and the absolute ease for ANY speech is a little bit too high for any rational standards.

Caution should be applied when interacting anywhere, yes, that I agree, but when you're given a board that you're told you're allowed to scribble on freely whilst given the ability to stay anonymous, don't lie and say you wouldn't fucking do it.

Yeah, you reap what you sow, but here's where the intersect comes in: people are making god damn mountain ranges out of ant mounds. The mountain range only persists with the eternal archive of images, screenshots, wayback pages and many other more. An event cannot be lived past and moved on, not when people seeking to exploit it have an agenda to make and they now have a pristine material that will NEVER BE LOST IN TIME, EVER.

You might not find any problems with this. "Yeah, people are getting held accountable for what they say. That's a good thing, so why are you complaining?"

You see, the problem starts to happen WHEN it starts biting you in the ass. One inside joke between friends and that's it, you're a goner. One empathetic opinion regarding a political side and you're either the most heated of Che Guevaras or cloned Hitler straight out of Musolini's cum jar.

Contexts and circumstances are there, but the internet does not do hindsight. NOOOOoooooo, it doesn't do that at all. It works purely within the current POV. It doesn't matter what's going down at the time or what the general consensus was. You could be simply going with the motions and write something down you think is utterly pointless and let it simmer for 5-6 years. Next thing you know, culture's progressed again and boom, you're on the chopping block now.

The problem is that we don't know what's next on the progress of culture. You could simply attribute this to the nature of their humanity and that they shouldn't have said that shit in the first place. But as I've said, the internet does no hindsight, INCLUDING changes of humanity. Do you think you're the same person as you were 4 years ago? Hell, I'd pay to kick my half a decade past self in the nuts.

But to the internet, 4 years is nothing. 4 years can either be a century or a week. In regards towards human nature and past actions, 4 years is barely an hour for the internet, even shorter if they're using it as a tool against you. The internet doesn't understand that with culture, human beings change as well, finding more common ground and humanity as they grow up.

So that said, with how easy it is to speak your mind out and how hard is it to utterly scrub your presence off the internet, along with our utter inability to deduce how the years will go, you can kind of see the problem right now. Accountability is given, yes, but with no compromise whatsoever. It's a social death penalty out there, all for a little action you've done in the past that's now wrong AND the good ol' pinch of simply someone seeing somebody they don't like on the internet get a boot shoved up his ass. No chances of hindsight; no chances for reflections; no chances for reviews.

If you've managed to fly under the radar until now, good on you, I genuinely think that's impressive, but if you want to walk around saying this is just a schizo me talking about schizo shit then yeah, I think that's right too. It's only bare observation on my part from what I've seen on the internet.

But on the off chance that what I'm seeing is actually true, I implore you guys: don't be like me. Keep a sanatized image, and try to apply the same mindset everywhere, even in DMs, because it may seem insignificant now, but the smallest of shards can shatter a man in whole. Shit's a 5:56 NATO round. It doesn't leave the body. It stays and festers until the hosts dies, where it remains until forcibly removed by outside influence to be served as yet another reminder of the grinder machine that is the internet archives

You might wonder why I ended a thread with a PSA than a hopeful conclusion. Well, I've learned my lesson against putting hope on internet people. I genuinely love you guys and this community, so take it as my token of appreciation: stay safe, both online and offline. I hate to see a guy fall into the blind hands of Justice, whose corpse been long desecrated by the witch burners from the olden 1700s, who instead of torches have screenshots and messages of proof, when are it really amounts to is a time capsule of a person's growth.

Last edited:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
4 years, 100 years, 1,000,000 years, the internet will still and forever be owned by cats.

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Me whilst reading this: :sweating_profusely:

Me realizing that I’m a pro procrastinator that pushes all my problems on my future self anyways: :blob_melt: Eh, I’ll worry about that later~~

BTW thanks for the friendly reminder. The community here is very nice, and I hope that everyone will take good care of themselves.

It’s easy to get caught up in anonymity and say something that will get you in trouble. Honestly, I’m pretty paranoid rn that I’ve already said something cancel worthy but oh well. We can’t predict the future. If you get socially crucified, you get socially crucified. We can only do our best to watch what we say enough to prevent some obvious pitfalls, like you said.

Anyways, wish you the best too, Ben!

CL

No one here is dumb enough to link their real identity to their online persona, right?
This doesn't apply to me, but do those who get paid by supporters remain anonymous? There isn't a link that can be tracked between their name and bank? I really don't know and that's why I ask.

Daitengu

This doesn't apply to me, but do those who get paid by supporters remain anonymous? There isn't a link that can be tracked between their name and bank? I really don't know and that's why I ask.

Depends on the amount of separation. Some people are easier to get info on. Like Karl from fact fiend has a business and you can spiderweb your way to his real address easy. Some take a lil more by geolocating an ip. Like Nuxtaku who got swatted. Hololive and Nijisanji are more protected cause they have a company helping as well as vpn usage, and donations going through a couple third parties. Donor->Youtube-> cover corp-> vtuber. But some of them have STILL been found.

Reactions: CL

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Paypal business can hide your address... I think :sweating_profusely:

SubscribeStar doesnt reveal anything about the creator's identity

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
I've been on the internet for way too long than I've ever needed. I've been on every spectrum; from the raunchiest of forums to the most mainstream of blue checkmarks. Hell, I've been from /pol/ to Otherkin blogs and back. With that said, I want to talk a little bit about something I've noticed regarding my experiences within those communities.

Accountability on the internet, and just how overblown everything gets.

I believe that the intersect between the unparalleled archival power of the internet and the absolute ease for ANY speech is a little bit too high for any rational standards.

Caution should be applied when interacting anywhere, yes, that I agree, but when you're given a board that you're told you're allowed to scribble on freely whilst given the ability to stay anonymous, don't lie and say you wouldn't fucking do it.

Yeah, you reap what you sow, but here's where the intersect comes in: people are making god damn mountain ranges out of ant mounds. The mountain range only persists with the eternal archive of images, screenshots, wayback pages and many other more. An event cannot be lived past and moved on, not when people seeking to exploit it have an agenda to make and they now have a pristine material that will NEVER BE LOST IN TIME, EVER.

You might not find any problems with this. "Yeah, people are getting held accountable for what they say. That's a good thing, so why are you complaining?"

You see, the problem starts to happen WHEN it starts biting you in the ass. One inside joke between friends and that's it, you're a goner. One empathetic opinion regarding a political side and you're either the most heated of Che Guevaras or cloned Hitler straight out of Musolini's cum jar.

Contexts and circumstances are there, but the internet does not do hindsight. NOOOOoooooo, it doesn't do that at all. It works purely within the current POV. It doesn't matter what's going down at the time or what the general consensus was. You could be simply going with the motions and write something down you think is utterly pointless and let it simmer for 5-6 years. Next thing you know, culture's progressed again and boom, you're on the chopping block now.

The problem is that we don't know what's next on the progress of culture. You could simply attribute this to the nature of their humanity and that they shouldn't have said that shit in the first place. But as I've said, the internet does no hindsight, INCLUDING changes of humanity. Do you think you're the same person as you were 4 years ago? Hell, I'd pay to kick my half a decade past self in the nuts.

But to the internet, 4 years is nothing. 4 years can either be a century or a week. In regards towards human nature and past actions, 4 years is barely an hour for the internet, even shorter if they're using it as a tool against you. The internet doesn't understand that with culture, human beings change as well, finding more common ground and humanity as they grow up.

So that said, with how easy it is to speak your mind out and how hard is it to utterly scrub your presence off the internet, along with our utter inability to deduce how the years will go, you can kind of see the problem right now. Accountability is given, yes, but with no compromise whatsoever. It's a social death penalty out there, all for a little action you've done in the past that's now wrong AND the good ol' pinch of simply someone seeing somebody they don't like on the internet get a boot shoved up his ass. No chances of hindsight; no chances for reflections; no chances for reviews.

If you've managed to fly under the radar until now, good on you, I genuinely think that's impressive, but if you want to walk around saying this is just a schizo me talking about schizo shit then yeah, I think that's right too. It's only bare observation on my part from what I've seen on the internet.

But on the off chance that what I'm seeing is actually true, I implore you guys: don't be like me. Keep a sanatized image, and try to apply the same mindset everywhere, even in DMs, because it may seem insignificant now, but the smallest of shards can shatter a man in whole. Shit's a 5:56 NATO round. It doesn't leave the body. It stays and festers until the hosts dies, where it remains until forcibly removed by outside influence to be served as yet another reminder of the grinder machine that is the internet archives

You might wonder why I ended a thread with a PSA than a hopeful conclusion. Well, I've learned my lesson against putting hope on internet people. I genuinely love you guys and this community, so take it as my token of appreciation: stay safe, both online and offline. I hate to see a guy fall into the blind hands of Justice, whose corpse been long desecrated by the witch burners from the olden 1700s, who instead of torches have screenshots and messages of proof, when are it really amounts to is a time capsule of a person's growth.

What you say is good and all, but you said this before:
BenJepheneT said:
I fucking hate boys wearing dresses.
And I don't think anyone should be taking advice from you, Second Hitler.

CL

Depends on the amount of separation. Some people are easier to get info on. Like Karl from fact fiend has a business and you can spiderweb your way to his real address easy. Some take a lil more by geolocating an ip. Like Nuxtaku who got swatted. Hololive and Nijisanji are more protected cause they have a company helping as well as vpn usage, and donations going through a couple third parties. Donor->Youtube-> cover corp-> vtuber. But some of them have STILL been found.
Paypal business can hide your address... I think :sweating_profusely:

SubscribeStar doesnt reveal anything about the creator's identity
Okay, well, that is not comforting. Thank you both very much for responding to my question. To all those who are receiving support from your readers: Good Luck! :blob_sweat:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
And I don't think anyone should be taking advice from you, Second Hitler.
No.

I do not regret that.

I still stand by that regard.

There's a GIANT influx of twinks wearing dresses without putting any effort to look nice while doing it. I'm fucking serious. It's not even an not-feminine-enough issue. It certainly helps, but at least put some sort of idea whenever you wear a dress.

Look at Harry Styles. That don't look like a dress; he literally took his window blinds, wrapped it around like a kilt and called it a day.

ZynGrand

No.

I do not regret that.

I still stand by that regard.

There's a GIANT influx of twinks wearing dresses without putting any effort to look nice while doing it. I'm fucking serious. It's not even an not-feminine-enough issue. It certainly helps, but at least put some sort of idea whenever you wear a dress.

Look at Harry Styles. That don't look like a dress; he literally took his window blinds, wrapped it around like a kilt and called it a day.
Looks more like bathroom tiles, SH.

IDK what you're trying to prove here.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
@ZynGrand
Guess I'm the Third Hitler to Ben's Second Hitler since dudes wearing dresses is disgusting to me. But then, when everyone gets to make up their own genders and pronouns like the Biology-class failure's they are, then I guess anything goes I suppose.

ZynGrand

@ZynGrand
Guess I'm the Third Hitler to Ben's Second Hitler since dudes wearing dresses is disgusting to me. But then, when everyone gets to make up their own genders and pronouns like the Biology-class failure's they are, then I guess anything goes I suppose.
Well uh, you said this:
Just realized I hated the Uchiha from Naruto.
Which is a uh, completely wrong opinion. I know many things about Naruto, and uh, your opinion on Urchin is wrong. Therefore, everything you think is wrong. Erm, yeah. This isn't open to discussion, it's just the truth. Got it?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Well uh, you said this:

Which is a uh, completely wrong opinion. I know many things about Naruto, and uh, your opinion on Urchin is wrong. Therefore, everything you think is wrong. Erm, yeah. This isn't open to discussion, it's just the truth. Got it?
You brought up an old Naruto rant from last year from my profile....for this? Are you really trying that hard? I mean seriously? Both statements, were opinions that I agree with. Not once did I demand anyone else to agree. So again...are you purposely trying to bait an argument? I mean this was pretty weak. Kinda like you're spelling. It's Uchiha. Not Urchin. Might wanna edit that a tad bit.

Last edited: