SMT III: NOCTURNE (TDE HARD; PS2) BOSS GUIDE

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft

We've done it! I mean, "I" have done it! I finished P1, 2, and 3FES for 5 days (overall game time).

This means that I will be playing the PS2 version of SMT III Nocturne on the hardest difficulty. That's right, the hard difficulty... which would mean a more masochistic encounter rate, stronger bosses, and an increased chance of dying. Whatsoever, since it is difficult, I decided to hand it over to an emulator in order to save and load everywhere! This is actually the best feature in Nintendo for the HD.

Moreover, after I finish this thread, I'll temporarily retire from playing games and start living my life to the fullest. It seems the time has come for me to finally walk on the borderline of our reality. Whatsoever, my written project is nearly finished!

I've finished a lot of games, had fun with them, got mad and uncomfortable, but either way—I cherished the memories of playing them. It seems this will be the last part of my journey.

Shoutout to @BlissyMKW for a piece of good advice!
  • Depending on the ending you're going for, you can realistically get away with running a magic build. Demi-fiend may get a lot of physical skills, but magic is still viable, unless...
  • If your goal is True Demon Ending, run a physical build because of Pierce. Lucifer has an innate resistance to everything, and Pierce and Focus only work on physical skills. Along with that, if you're playing the remaster, Dante/Raidou gets a skill that gives them Pierce. In the PS2 version, Dante does not have Pierce. I am mainly running a physical build until the end of the game, so I will!
  • This is my own personal opinion, but even if you plan on running a magic build long-term, have a phys skill on hand. There are enemies that block/repel most magic attacks in late-game. I won't be planning a magic build!
  • Buffs and debuffs are your friends, especially in boss fights, and similar to Minotaur in SMT IV, you'll learn quickly you need buffs to survive bosses. Of course!
  • You can do the Kalpas without doing True Demon Ending, but getting any further than the first room in the Third Kalpa requires you to fight 3 Fiends first. I never thought of that.
  • Enemies in the Kalpas can't be recruited. Oh, alright.
  • When you get the Nirvana Magatama (pretty sure you gotta buy it), try to get Divine Shot. It's a good physical skill that only Demi-fiend can learn and despite its power, its HP cost is pretty low at only 13% (at least according to this skill list I'm looking at at the time of typing this, can link if you desire) *You're right, and I'll get the Divine Shot!
  • Use a guide if you plan on doing the Puzzle Boy minigame for the reward in Asakusa. Like, seriously. On it!
  • Be glad this isn't Strange Journey with its teleporter maze hell sections. I never played the Strange Journey, so I don't know how they are different.
  • I would honestly suggest getting Fog Breath on Demi-fiend and keeping it (penultimate skill on Wadasumi, can be learned at Level 21 or higher. I'll be working on it!

I've played the game yesterday, realizing the torture of the hard difficulty. I got used to it, of course, but the bosses are killing my back! I am not even senile, yet the weight of failures is making me go to sleep. Nevertheless, I overcame the ordeal, but a lot of time has been sacrificed. The tutorial definitely killed me a lot of times, but at least I've learned from my deaths.

I won't be using any images because it spoils the game! Yes, if you know what the boss looks like, the air of mystery is flooded with sincere confidence. Knowing the images of bosses will ruin the immersion and unpredictable plot twists. I want to make sure you only know their name and how to defeat them!

I will rate their difficulty based on my experiences in fighting them! Use CTRL+F to find any boss battle strategy!

BOSS GUIDE #1 [Ginza & Shibuya]

[Forneus] - EASY
HP: 500
MP: 200
Macca: 2000
EXP: 150

Strategy:
Forneus is the starting boss of SMT which definitely offers an air of breathing room and the chance to be cocky. It is weak to electricity so use any Zio either from Pixie or someone else. Zio inflicts paralysis and one more turn. The best plan of action is to aggressively attack because the best offense is the best defense. Remember to put all your stat points to STR only so your Lunge deals a good amount of damage. Of course, if you can't hit with Lunge, then use a Hit/Evasion buff from a monster.

Heal if you must, and don't hesitate if someone dies. They may not get any experiences, but that's irrelevant because you'll be fusing high LVL monsters later.

[Specter] - EASY
HP: 148
MP: 100
Macca: 160
EXP: 100

Strategy:
The second and easiest boss battle. Specters will hit you with Fire spells so avoid monsters with fire weaknesses. Once a few turns have passed, all Specters will turn into a bigger version of a Specter with high spell and weapon damage, yet becomes easy to kill with only one turn. During the battle, consider killing one or two monsters. It'll make a great difference.

Remember to only use magic spells because melee has the tendency to miss, especially if your level is too low!

[Troll] - EASY
HP: 850
MP: 150
Macca: 1000
EXP: 100

Strategy:
This is the third and easiest boss battle. Trolls have high ice damage, so avoid monsters with ice weaknesses. One way to defeat the Troll so easily is to fuse or recruit monsters with charm, especially since it is weak to mind skills. You don't need to grind or change monsters if you have charm skills! This is basically a warmup for the upcoming insanity.

After this, level up to level 18! It is also recommended to buy the Hifumi Magatama in the Ginza Junk Shop and fusing Nekotama and Uzume because they'll be significant for the next boss battle.

[Matador] - HARD
HP: 1000
MP: 500
Macca: 700
EXP: 1200

Strategy:
This is the fourth and hardest boss battle. Matador has no weakness and blocks force skills. Your best bet is to prioritize making Nekotama because she'll drain force skills that Matador will use! Remember that while missing an attack removes two turns, draining magic skills immediately gives you the turn even if the enemy has a lot of turns left. In any case, this isn't a sure-win. First of all, Matador has great physical damage.

What you want to do is to always use Lunge for your protagonist while letting Nekotama spam normal attacks and Uzume with the media skill. Fog Breath also works on this occasion because he buffs himself with Red Capote that makes his dodging chance higher! I never had Fog Breath, so I hopefully kept on attacking him until I got critical.

After imparting 500 damage, he'll start attacking everyone with great physical damage. Sometimes, he'll do focus first to have twice the damage. However, there is a slight chance that he'll use a force spell instead! This boss battle killed me a lot of time, but I managed to win with a stroke of luck.

BOSS GUIDE #2 [Ikebukuro & Ginza]

[Important Note]
  1. This is a three consecutive boss battle excluding Dante! You can't heal and save!
  2. You need to have monsters that have ice and electric skills.
  3. Monsters that are used in battle have to be level 18 and above.
  4. Some monsters need to have buffs and debuffs.
  5. You need to bring out three monsters with resist/null/drain electricity.
  6. You need to have Kamudo Magatama w/ focus.
  7. You need reviving items and MP recovery items.
  8. Get Momunufo and level him up to 21.

[Orthrus] - EASY
Macca: 200
EXP: 150

Strategy:
This boss is the fifth easiest and warmup boss. Orthrus is pretty easy, so be cocky. It is weak to ice, so bring out any monsters with ice attacks, otherwise, if you have a physical build. Do FOCUS and LUNGE for 500 damage (Protagonist and Momunofu only). Nevertheless, since this is a consecutive battle and you can't heal.

You need to make sure nobody dies and wastes too much MP!

[Yaksini] - EASY
HP: 1200
Macca: 400
EXP: 300

Strategy:
This is the sixth easiest and the last warmup boss. It is recommended to be cocky and highly confident in this fight! Yaksini is weak to electricity, so change your party to monsters with electric attacks. Otherwise, do focus and lunge for 500 damage or 800 if critical. After this, change your party again with monsters who resist/null/drain electricity!

[Thor] - HARD
HP: 2000
MP: 3000
Macca: 800
EXP: 700

Strategy:
This is the seventh and the second hardest boss! You don't have any magatama that resists electricity, however, you do have the best damage due to your Kamudo Magatama. Avoid bringing the weakest monsters and follow the level 18 recommendation! It is also recommended to bring Momunofu for burst damage. If you don't have him, your best bet is to luckily get critical hits while debuffing him.

Defense and Hit/Evasion will never work in this battle. Buffing attack power and weakening his defense is more significant! You also need to keep on casting Media every turn.

After Thor receives a thousand damage, he will heal for 200+ and either attack you or remove debuffs if there is anything. After 500 HP, Thor will keep on attacking you with the strongest electric attack.

When the fight is over, heal everyone! There will be one more boss battle in front of the Mantra Headquarter. If you keep on putting your stat points to STR, then congratulations, it will mitigate the difficulty of the next boss. Whatsoever, you really need to get focus if you don't have one.

[Dante] - NORMAL
HP: 2400
Macca: 800
EXP: 900

Wow! It is actually Dante! Dante, you know, that one silent edgy protagonist back in DMC1 and 2. That cool-matured guy from DMC4. That unsympathetic humorous brat from DMC3. Well, if you haven't played the Devil May Cry series, then I recommend you play it!

Strategy:
Dante is the eighth and the first normal boss. His attacks are mostly guaranteed to be critical. And while he doesn't have any weaknesses, physical attacks can damage him a lot by just doing focus and then lunge. Once he tells you he is having fun, he will keep on enraging everyone (greatly loses defense but greatly increases attack).

If he successfully enrages everyone two times, he will hit you with his powerful gun attack. Make sure to buff attack and defense while debuffing his defense. Fog Breath is best used in this boss battle, however, he will immediately remove these -ja effects. You won't be able to leave the battle with one or two monsters dead.

[THREAD UPDATE]
The cube puzzles with the increasing encounter rate were some harsh torture. I went on to take every single Kila, without ever healing all of my members so I finished the dungeon with only one monster left. I'll say some of the ways to defeat the bosses, but what's difficult besides the bosses is the dungeon itself.

Eligor's were everywhere, even opening a mystical chest summons an Eligor boss battle. Sigh... I've been chastised by the gods of greed. I miss the free healing spell rooms. I never thought they'd be that rare. The Kaiwan's also playfully tortures you to keep on coming back to the levers after you can head on to the door. The encounter rate was so bad too, so I simply kept dying while making my way through the levers.

[Eligor] - EASY
HP: 700
Macca: 100
EXP: 200

Strategy:
There are different types of Eligor that will summon different things, whatsoever, it is trivial to put this into account. The monsters it'll summon are the basic monsters you'll see on the way of the dungeon. Eligors are weak to electricity, meaning, that you'll be needing a lot of monsters that cast electric spells.

If you run a physical build, and I mean pure physical build without any healing and magic skills. What you'll do is keep on spamming Berserk and nothing else... seriously, that's all it took for me to win all the boss battles.

[Berith] - EASY
MP: 103
Macca: 600
EXP: 1000

Strategy:
Berith is a stronger type of Eligor. This time, Berith is weak to ice and won't summon monsters. It also fights with two Succubus. Easefully put all your monsters that have ice spells in your party, and demolish them within seconds without any sweat.

[Kaiwan] - EASY
HP: 650
MP: 288
Macca: 500
EXP: 400

Strategy:

These kaiwan's are solidly difficult, if without any particular strategy. Kaiwan's will keep on casting instant death skills, killing your team so easily. In any case, use Fog Breath and Evasion/Hit buff to avoid their assaults. If you're like me, who uses pure physical build, has three monsters left, and has no more SP because of the encounter rate and can only use Berserk and Lunge... then do just what I did and hope for the best.

[Ose] - NORMAL
HP: 3800
Macca: 3000
EXP: 1200

Strategy:
Ose is pretty easy if you have a pure physical build with physical resistance. At the start of the battle, use Frog Breath and Evasion/Hit two times to dodge his attack and get your turn immediately. After that, do focus + lunge to begin eating his health. There is no easy way to immediately kill him, but he can immediately kill you if you decide to change your strategy during the battle.

There are three different patterns for Ose:
Normal attack + focus. (beginning of the battle)
Focus + heavy slashes the whole party. (second phase)
Focus + normal attack. (second phase)
Physical (barely used)/Magical reflect (mostly used) + normal attack. (second phase)
Remove -ja effects + normal attack. (if fully debuffed)
Normal attack + normal attack. (second phase)

BOSS GUIDE #3 [Kabukicho Prison, Ikebukuro Tunnel & Asakusa]

[Important Notes]
  1. Fuse Sarasvati (She has "Mana Refill" meaning, you won't need to pay for heals!)
  2. If your Protagonist has 25 STR, then go back to Mantra HQ on the right side of the jail with two doors and open the large door to get Gaea Magatama! (If you don't have 25 STR, then ignore)
  3. Get Raiju to get Lightoma for Ikebukuro Tunnel.
  4. Bring out monsters with magic spells. (It doesn't matter if you are a pure physical party, you need magic spells for Ikebukuro Tunnel!)
  5. It is recommended to get guides for Kabukicho Prison and Ikebukuro Tunnel in order to save time!

[Mizuchi] - EASY
HP: 4800
Macca: 1500

Strategy:
Mizuchi is a larger form of a small Mizuchi. It is weak to fire and has ice spells so ingest Wadatsumi Magatama and bring monsters with fire spells. The biggest problem is that Mizuchi can cast panic on the whole party (lose a lot of money), it casts a magical shield to itself (sometimes) and has a good amount of health. You'd want to fuse monsters that resist/null/repel mind to immediately get your own turn! Other than that, exploit his weakness and let the Protagonist keep on doing Focus + Lunge.

[Before you go...]
  1. The three devil halves physical damage, excluding the final devil.
  2. The three devils cast Dragon Eye whenever their health is low (grants five turns) but the final devil can cast Dragon Eye whenever the real him gets hit.
  3. Fog Breath is your ultimate savior! Remember to keep on doing that to the four demons.

[Sui-Ki] - EASY
HP: 3500
MP: 1500

Strategy:
If you have a magic-based team, excluding the Protagonist, then this will be easy. Sui-Ki is weak to fire, yet drains ice, and halves physical damage. This is why you'll need to have three monsters in your party with fire spells that are not weak to ice. He can't remove debuffs so freely use whatever debuff you can on him. You can, however, damage Sui-Ki a lot using (Focus + Lunge) even though he halves physical damage.

[Kin-Ki] - NORMAL
HP: 3000
MP: 2000

Strategy:
Kin-ki is weak to every element, however, they actually don't count as "weak". In any case, there is no free one more turn so you'll have to play your cards properly. He also greatly halves physical damage, so consider letting the Protagonist spam Fog Breath and make him Lunge whenever Kin-ki is stunned by electric spells. It is recommended to have ice and electric spells because they can inflict paralysis and freeze which makes physical attacks guaranteed to critically hit.

[Fuu-Ki] - EASY
MP: 1000

Strategy:
Fuu-Ki is the same as Sui-Ki, however, he is weak to electricity! He halves little physical damage and can drain force, so use resist/null/drain force monsters. If you managed to paralyze him, and luckily did focus before that, then you'll be able to damage him for 1000 using Lunge. (if you have the Gaea Magatama w/ 25 STR)

After this, go back to the door that couldn't be opened. That's where the final Ikebukuro boss battle is.

[Ongyo-Ki] - EASY
HP: 5500
Macca: 10,000
EXP: 5000

Strategy:
There is this good strategy to finding the real Ongyo-Ki. First, enter the boss during the full moon in order to find the real Ongyo-Ki by looking at every Ongyo-ki's shadow below. After this, it is completely a sure-win! Don't forget to cast Breath Fog and War Cry every two or three moves because you'll be unable to hit him if you don't do that and so that you can immediately finish the game. There is no way he will attack your team if you keep on hitting him. (if he does, that would actually be rare)

Eternal Pattern:
(once the real Ongyo-Ki has been hit-) Dragon Eye + Three buffs + Replicate.

[Important Note]
  1. The four horsemen will only appear once you see a cutscene in the Third Kalpa's candelabrum room.
  2. If you aren't going for the True Demon Ending, ignore the Rider boss battles!
  3. If you reach the end of the second Nihilo Assembly, interact with the save point. Certain things like being unable to access the terminal at the end of the Obelisk happens, and you don't want that.
  4. If you have Deathstones, save them until then. Don't be like me who used it to fuse Matador, Daisojou, and Red Biker. They are useful for most boss battles but just don't. They'll be a burden and leveling them up isn't easy.
  5. Get Lightoma and Estoma... they'll be your friends to crawling in a dungeon.
  6. Use a guide for The Obelisk to finish the dungeon immediately! The dungeon takes 30 minutes at best.

[White Rider] - NORMAL
HP: 4000

Strategy:
White Rider will begin by using Dragon Eye and summoning two Virtue (which can lower all-party members' stats greatly). It is your choice to equip Ankh Magatama (defensive) or Gaea Magatama (offensive). White Rider can also one-hit all your character, making it a priority to finish the fight immediately. The Virtues are weak to force, so start by exploiting their weakness. Once you get one more turn, use it to attack White Rider with physical attacks. Focus and Divine Shot/Lunge are good enough to finish the fight.

Don't forget to use Fog Breath, Evasion/Hit, and Tarukaja.

[Red Rider] - NORMAL
HP: 4300
MP: 1700

Strategy:
Similar to the White Rider, Red Rider will start off with Dragon Eye—however, it will summon two Powers (which buffs physical power and can cast instant kill). One suggestion, if you have all-foe skills, use it (except Electricity/Force/Expel/Mind/Curse/Nerve). You need to kill one or two Powers if you can to waste Red Rider's turn! In any case, equip Iyomante Magatama (defensive; slow fight) or Gaea Magatama (offensive; fast fight).

War Cry is necessary for this fight because letting Red Rider accumulate too much physical power can prove dangerous. For me, I used Fog Breath and Evasion/Hit. I never had War Cry, so I was hoping for misses from his summoned Powers. And remember, focus and then divine power is so powerful! It deals 1000 damage w/ might and Tarukaja.

[Before you go...]
  1. The time puzzle needs a certain order. Clotho (right) -> Lachesis (middle) -> Atropos (left).
  2. They will leave when they're defeated, so no Macca and EXP.
  3. You can't leave. If you do, you have to repeat the battle in order again! So, be prepared!
  4. If you have one fiend like Daisoujou, then you'll have a little bit of an easy time fighting these three sisters.

[Clotho] - EASY
HP: 2200
MP: 1200
Macca: N/A
EXP: N/A

Strategy:
Clotho is pretty weak and has low hitpoints. She has mind attacks and can heal herself for a low amount. If you have focus and divine shot, then you don't have to worry about anything at all. She doesn't do anything about negative statuses and will leave once she is defeated.

[Lachesis] - EASY
HP: 2200
MP: 1200

Strategy:
Lachesis is similar to Clotho, however, she doesn't heal. Her pattern is simply buffing herself with Tarukaja (physical power). Sometimes, she'll cast Physical or Magical reflection. Again, do focus and divine shot to finish the battle immediately. She will rarely attack your team, and with a good amount of damage, so do Evasion/Hit before anything else.

[Atropos] - EASY
HP: 2600

Strategy:
Atropos is the offensive type among the sisters. She'll hit your party with electric and force spells. Whatsoever, do Fog Breath and Evasion/Hit at her to evade her incoming spells. After that, do focus and divine shot to finish the battle immediately.

After this, a scene will happen. If you have little health, go back and heal everyone for the final battle. Don't worry, you won't have to redo them again.

[The Moirae Sisters] - Easy
[Atropos]
EXP: 3000

[Lachesis]

[Clotho]

Strategy:
Clotho will keep on healing a small amount for themselves and Lachesis will keep on buffing physical power and physical or magical reflect for themselves. Atropos, however, will keep on attacking your whole team with magic skills. Nevertheless, They are pretty easy. If you have any monsters with electric null/expel/drain and force null/expel/drain, then you can get your turn immediately. Other than that, do Fog Breath (to avoid missing your attacks) and Taunt (to greatly lose their defense) so that you can dramatically damage them for a lot!

Damage (w/ Taunt)
:
Focus +
-> Heat Wave (0.5x = 300)
-> Divine Shot (2x = 1000-2000)
-> Lunge (2x = 1000-2000)

[Important Note]
  1. Fuse Daisoujou if you haven't in 6/8 Kagutsuchi. He'll be useful on any type of boss battle!
  2. If you aren't going for the True Demon Ending, then ignore the Four Horseman! If you haven't beaten the Four Horseman, you can't fight The Harlot, Trumpeter, Beelzebub, and Metatron.
  3. If you've reached 30 STR, then do 30 VIT and then 30 AGI. Do not press on leveling the stats once they reach 30. Just don't!
  4. Certain patterns are required to win. You may die a lot, but you are able to learn what not to do in any situation. Take for example, instead of healing your team, hitting the boss might trick the boss into using a Mind spell that could get repelled/drained/nulled by your team!
  5. RNG's are your friend when it comes to any bosses. If you died, you were just unfortunate or did something different.

[Black Rider] - NORMAL
HP: 4600
MP: 1800

Strategy:
In some strategies, Djed is needed, but actually, you don't need to. Trust me, I did this with only Gaea Magatama—my ultimate savior. Black Rider will summon Legions (they can cast physical-reflect), but don't worry about them. Black Rider will cast a curse-type Soul Divide on all-foes, however, if you have Daisoujou, he'll absorb it and the turn is yours. In any case, if you leveled Daisoujou until he got Prayer, then what you want to do is Prayer (if the party has low health/muted) -> Shock/Meditation.

Let the Protagonist do Fog Breath (or x2) -> Focus -> Divine Shot.

There are a lot of patterns to different characters, but know that I did this with Daisoujou, Matador, and Hell Biker. They have curse resistance and are useful to any type of boss battle. Once Daisoujou cast Shock and inflicted paralyze to the Legions, Hell Biker with Attack All attacked with guaranteed critical while Matador focused on increasing the party's Evasion/Hit.

I know I specifically said not to hit the Legions, but I did it with great intentions. Moreover, he won't do Dragon Eye if his legions aren't dead yet.

[Specter] - EASY
HP: 980
MP: 29
Macca: 600
EXP: 2000

Strategy:
This will be the same as the previous Specters we fought. Specter will start by trying to attack you with Megidola but fails because it doesn't have any MP, so it has this great idea of draining your mana. Another strategy said that keeping a little mana is necessary, whatsoever, not for me. I went with full MP and killed everyone immediately by doing...

Daisoujou Shock -> Hell Biker attack w/ attack all -> Matador weak Andalucia but guaranteed to hit everyone -> Protagonist Focus and after the second turn with the same move, Protagonist does Heat Wave with critical.

You can probably do better with different demons, but it is best to bring out a team of demons with strong physical or magical skills. Moreover, know that the first turn for Specters will be them draining mana. They don't share mana, so they can individually cast Megidola.

[Pale Rider] - HARD
HP: 5000

Strategy:
Pale Rider has the tendency to kill your team immediately by doing Pestilence (medium almighty damage to all foes and 100% instant kill to poisoned targets) and Blight (small physical damage and 20% poison to all foes. High accuracy. Power related to the user's max HP). Pale Rider's summoned Loas will lower all stats on the party and has a high chance to self-destruct if damaged—both healing the Pale Rider and killing your team—so don't even go after the Loas. If you want to kill them, make sure to kill them!

My pattern was slightly tweaked for this one... Daisoujou Shock -> Hell Biker attack w/ attack all or Hell Spin -> Matador Evasion/Hit -> Protagonist Focus (only if the Loas are dead after Hell Rider's attack) and after the second turn with the same move, Protagonist does Divine Shot.

You'll have to rely on RNG so that the Pale Rider doesn't use, doesn't get damaged for a lot, or misses his Pestilence and Blight. In any case, the Protagonist's Focus + Divine Shot can damage the Pale Rider for 2000 w/ critical. Do you have Might? You really need that one.

*Separate fights...

[Girimehkala] - HARD

[Sakahagi] - EASY
HP: 1600
MP: 300
EXP: 10,000

Strategy:
Girimehkala voids physical attack so this will be a battle of magic, whatsoever, I had a pure physical build and party... so, this was actually a battle of physical versus magic. I know how stupid I was for going ahead with no magic... I had healers, but they were getting one-hit by a basic attack.
Girimehkala has the tendency to use...

1. Beast Eye -> Toxic Cloud (if you have any demon that can repel/null/repel curse-type skills, then the turn is yours).

2. (If Girimehkala is debuffed...) Dekunda -> Rakunda/Tarukaja -> Blight/Binding Cry/Attack -> Attack...

My advice is to never debuff Girimehkala. NEVER! He'll punish you immediately with the following pattern. What you want to do is deal a lot of damage to make him do Toxic Cloud or Dragon Eye -> Toxic Cloud. Moreover, you'd want to increase everyone's Evasion/Hit. Sometimes, he'll do a Basic Attack with high damage, yet mid-accuracy.

My pattern by using Matador, Hell Biker, and Daisoujou...

1. Daisoujou Shock -> Hell Biker Magic Increase (taken after fusing him) -> Matador's Evasion/Hit or Taunt -> Protagonist Pass -> Daisoujou Shock/Meditation. Depending on the situation, the pattern will change. For example, if Girimehkala used Blight, Daisoujou will go to Prayer before Shock/Meditation.

It was a long flight, but at least I defeated him.

The next boss after this is really easy. If you've been buffing Evasion/Hit deliberately, then the chances of Sakahagi hitting your team is ZERO! The buff actually won't disappear because the match hasn't ended yet. Sakahagi can't also cast magic because he used it all up. Kill him and continue along your journey.

[BOSS]
The Harlot
Macca: 4000
EXP: 8000

Strategy:
The Harlot repels any physical attack and drains electricity, so as a pure physical user, I am honestly disgusted. In any case, fuse any demons with null/repel/drain electricity so it'll help you ease the difficulty in this boss battle. Prioritize using EVASION/HIT and MAGIC INCREASE or TAUNT to deal good magic damage. In my experience, Daisoujou's meditation helped a lot as it deals 300 damage (w/ taunt/magic increase) per turn! That's already a lot considering I've never used any magic before.

BOSS GUIDE #3 [Kabuchiko Prison, Amala Temple, & Diet Building]
  • All boss battles for today are EASY! You may die if you're unfortunate or don't have a good setup, but in any case, I've never had any trouble beating all the bosses in the aforementioned areas.
  • Unlike the difficulty of the bosses, the dungeons are a horrifying mess so I recommend using any walkthrough for them. I won't be able to help, sadly, but I am pretty sure my strategy can alleviate the complaint.
  • I've decided to change the way I write the boss guides to promote simplicity!

[BOSS]
Black Frost
HP: 2950
MP: 2500

Strategy:
I recommend ingesting Anathema Magatama and having death-resistant party members because Black Frost will start the match by casting an instant death skill. He will drain ice and highly halves physical damage, whatsoever, has no way of removing debuffs and buffs so you can take advantage of him. Black Frost doesn't have much health, so with Taunt and Magic Increase, you can eat his health immediately.

[BOSS]
Specter (x3)
HP: 700
EXP: 1500

Strategy:
After your turn has ended, one of the Specters will do Last Resort (hit everyone including allies) but the Specters voids Last Resort's damage. My suggestion is to have two demons casting DEFENSE INCREASE and the others killing the Specters. They repel magic skills, so do yourself a favor and don't cast magic. You can also not cast any buffs and immediately kill them all.

[BOSS]
Aciel
HP: 8000
Macca: 10000

Strategy:
Prepare your Gaea Magatama because Aciel physically attacks while also draining your MP. Use TAUNT or PHYSICAL INCREASE to deal a lot of damage with the FOCUS + DIVINE SHOT combo. EVASION/HIT to avoid any physical attacks or PHYSICAL REFLECTION. Once you deal a lot of damage, he will start stealing your MP following an invincible Sol Niger (puts everyone to 1 HP). If you have Daisoujou, then you can easily heal everyone with PRAYER, otherwise, use different all-ally healing skills.

[BOSS]
Albion
HP: 2700
EXP: 1800
  • Albion will summon four unique blobs... if you defeated Albion and one of the blobs is still alive, they will summon Albion back! If you kill all four blobs and Albion is still alive, Albion will summon the four blobs back. Consider finding the right time to kill them, or try eating a few of Albion's health using one Divine Shot before doing Heat Wave.
Strategy:
At the beginning of the battle, Albion will summon four blobs with their own elemental properties and the same health (1300). It is recommended to never use magic spells and immediately strike physical attacks, especially Divine Shot and Heat Wave. And while it is easy to kill all of them, they will both revive each other back. Try using TAUNT and ATTACK INCREASE before doing DIVINE SHOT (to Albion) and FOCUS + HEATWAVE (to everyone).

[BOSS]
Skadi
  • In response to her Earthquake skill, try to bring powerful magic-innate demons to kill Skadi down immediately. Of course, DEFENSE INCREASE and WAR CRY are one way to endure the damage, but there is a chance she won't even use Earthquake if you can swiftly fire a lot of damage at her. 4000 HP isn't that much!
Strategy:
Skadi drains physical attack... which is utterly heartbreaking. However, she has no elemental resistance nor weaknesses, so time to grab some magic-innate demons. FOG BREATH is useless in this fight, whatsoever, MAGIC INCREASE, TAUNT, DEFENSE INCREASE, and WAR CRY is recommended! Skadi has an ultimate attack called Earthquake (severe physical damage to all foe) which is used after doing PHYSICAL INCREASE TWICE! You can negate the damage by using WAR CRY and DEFENSE INCREASE or use ATTACK MIRROR but she will drain all the damage, so I won't recommend that.

When she's in low health, she will keep on using Dragon Eye, meaning... Earthquake has a high chance to be used, however, you can now move in to kill her and end the battle.

[AGAINST CHIAKI'S REASON: BOSS]
Gabriel
EXP: 6000

Uriel

Raphael
  • I never fought Futomimi, but I think he is the same as Sakahagi. I mean, all buffs are still applied and he is pretty weak. Well, you know what I mean, but you can handle him if you do fight.
Strategy:
These three bosses aren't anything to be worried about. Magical skills aren't affected, but physical skill easily kills them all immediately! One of the bosses will cast ANTI-ATTACK or ANTI-MAGIC meaning that they'll render physical and magical useless. Whatsoever, you need to prioritize buffing yourself with ATTACK INCREASE and debuffing them with TAUNT in order to finish the battle by using FOCUS + HEAT WAVE or FOCUS + DIVINE SHOT... but I prefer Heat Wave for this one.

Luckily for me, the bosses decided against their will to use ANTI-MAGIC even though they have strong resistance to elementals.

[BOSS]
Trumpeter
HP: 11,000
MP: 5000
  • Turn 1, Trumpeter will use Holy Melody (fully heals HP/MP to someone that has the lowest health). In Turn 8, he will cast Evil Melody (kills someone that has the lowest health). One suggestion is to have one weak demon so that it can get targeted by the Evil Melody. Every four turn, revive the weak demon and then summon it to have it healed by the Holy Melody.
Strategy:
Trumpeter is the final candelabrum! In any case, he can easily be killed using the same pattern. However, you'll have to follow a certain interval in order to avoid the Evil Melody (refer to the top)! Again, debuff him using TAUNT and buff everyone using PHYSICAL INCREASE. A single FOCUS + DIVINE SHOT can deal 2000 (3000 w/ crit) at best. Nevertheless, it takes 2 turns to do all of these, especially since you have to do FOCUS first. So you can't get away from experiencing the Evil Melody.

[BOSS]
Surt
MP: 3500
Macca: 5000

Strategy:
Surt's basic attack is a fire element, so don't use ANTI-ATTACK nor fire magic because they are useless against this fight. In any case, this fight is pretty easy. First of all, use TAUNT and PHYSICAL INCREASE... if you have a Gehenna Magatama, you can simply auto-basic attack after the buffs have been applied. Otherwise, literally, do FOCUS + DIVINE SHOT.

[BOSS]
Mada
HP: 2500
MP: 747
  • Mada drains physical damage. It can easily remove debuff, so focus on buffing your team. Suggestion to use Mind-resist Magatama, but I'd rather leave it to Gaea Magatama.
Strategy:
Mada is pretty weak and has a low hitpoint. You should focus on the offensive and buff MAGIC INCREASE and TAUNT to deal a lot of damage from your magic. If you have a pure physical Protagonist like me, then preferably use FOG BREATH or PASS. Mada and Surt are both warm-up bosses before the next boss... so be prepared.

[BOSS]
Mot
  • Capable of glitching the use of Beast Eye, sometimes, would use it two or three times!
  • Weak to lightning. For the Protagonist, either get Bolt Storm if you want to kill Mot immediately. Otherwise, make use of Ziodyne (heavy/one-hit) and Shock (random/multiple hit) from your demons.
Strategy:
Many people often get the idea that Mot is a very powerful or unfair boss, or that winning against him is a matter of luck... which is true. Mot's Beast Eye is dangerous because he can spam MEGIDOLAON... in any way, EVASION/HIT and MAGIC INCREASE is a pretty good buff. Physical attack isn't effective, so focusing on lightning magic is better.

At first, Mot will decide to cast MAGIC INCREASE to itself. Sometimes, even though the limit is reached, he will still do that... which is somehow funny. If it doesn't cast a lot of buffs, then prepare to endure its Almighty skill. Lightning magic can deal up to 200-SHOCK, 400-ZIODYNE (w/ MAGIC INCREASE/MAGIC STAT DEPENDENT), and having one more turn from exploiting its weakness can dramatically make him pretty easy to kill.

[BOSS]
Mithra
HP: 4500

Strategy:
Mithra has no immunities... huh? And only 4500 health? Ah, well, whatever. Focus on buffing (PHYSICAL INCREASE) and debuffing (WAR CRY and TAUNT) to swiftly finish the battle. There is no way you'll die from this boss battle, but he does have an instant kill spell, so check which demon to bring and what Magatama your Protagonist should ingest.

[BOSS]
Samael
HP: 8500
MP: 4000
EXP: 9000
  • Ingest a curse/mind resistant Magatama because of Samael's God's Curse (chance of inflicting charm, panic, sleep, bind or stun to all foes)
Strategy:
Samael isn't half-bad, but this dragon ain't any better than Mithra. It doesn't have any immunities, so prepare another debuffing (TAUNT) and buffing (PHYSICAL INCREASE) because, at your level, your Deathbound can hit two times and your Divine Shot will deal a lot of damage. After this point, all boss battles are deadly! Nothing you've seen before!

[OP's COMMENT]
This is it for the mediocre boss battles! The rest from Labyrinth of Amala and Tower of Kagutsuchi will be on a different comment!

Attachments

• 1623305220433.png
    1623305220433.png
    663.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Summarised advice,
Don't get hit.
Try to hit the boss.
If going gets hard, try to bring boss's health to zero before your health reaches zero.

Though, that was a result of hardwork. Good luck for the rest!

Motsu

Summarised advice,
Don't get hit. Impossible.
Try to hit the boss. Obviously.
If going gets hard,??? try to bring boss's health to zero before your health reaches zero. Obviously 2.

Though, that was a result of hardwork. Good luck for the rest! Good job!
You forgot "git gud" and "figure out the rest".

-50 points

Motsu

Screenshot 2021-06-02 215246.png

Focus + Lunge = 1291 against the Mizuchi boss battle! lmao EZ... also, I accidentally dismissed one of my monsters.

Screenshot 2021-06-05 101102.png

Me and the fiends fighting Clotho... an easy boss battle... lmao, they're weaker than when they were my enemy.

I GOT SO LUCKY! Mot kept raising its magic so I immediately punished that with a lot of electric skills! I died three times because it kept casting Megidolaon. However, what they called an unfair fight has been bested! It's a pretty normal fight if you have a good RNG. I am proud to call myself a lucky man.

Last edited:

Motsu

[Asakusa Puzzle Boy]

Thanks to some guides I was finally able to finish the whole minigame and got the Geis Magatama. Perfect for magical builds, especially if you don't have any "Mana Refill" from any monster. The minigame was a real headache, however, the starting stages weren't half-bad. It reminds me of Sokoban from the old days when I was still using a Nokia. Pretty reminiscent and had the same difficulty as this, but Sokoban was entertaining than this. Whatsoever, let bygones be bygones. I've finished it and I won't ever touch the minigame for the rest of my life.

For those suspicious, if I am really playing the "hard" mode, this is my save data right now. I am trying to grind up to level sixty to get the Gaea skills and I already have Fog Breath and Divine Shot. I tried to get the 250,000 macca in Second Kalpa and got obliterated by strong monsters... if you ask me, the whole place was built to take 30% of your health each time you walk and has strong monsters, so it wasn't worth the effort for now. However, I was able to level up two times because of the monsters!

I already reached the way to the third Kalpa but I don't have the candelabrum yet. Moreover, I will be going for the True Demon Ending, so there'll be a lot of my time put into this game.

Remember that this is my first SMT game. I've only played Persona games. I know, I know... I actually did this just because I want to feel the pain for SMT players. Actually, my main reason is that I want to bitch-slap SMT players that are so cocky just because they've beaten the game and tell them to git gud or try again but in hard mode.

These are my current demons and party members. I am currently in the second Yoyogi Park trying to fight The Harlot. I am trying to get a lot of money to buy some Physical Magatama to make my Protagonist stronger than ever. As you can see, Sarasvati and Kushinada are my outside healers, and Daisoujou, Hell Biker, and Matador are my main party members.

Most demons I haven't introduced are demons with different elemental null/resist/repel/drain and are useful for different boss battles. Some of them have Estoma, Floatoma, and Lightoma for dungeon crawling. Some of them have a lot of buffs and magic skills.

Last edited:

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Be glad this isn't Strange Journey with its teleporter maze hell sections. I never played the Strange Journey, so I don't know how they are different.
Sector E honestly gets a lot of shit for no reason. There I have said it. Yes, it has a teleporter maze section. No, it isnt difficult, not as time consuming as it might appear and definitely doesnt require a guide. Maybe the fact that I named my protag Doom Guy might have helped.

You know what, seeing the effort you have put in, I might write a guide for the interesting fights in Devil Survivor Overclocked.
Remember that this is my first SMT game. I've only played Persona games. I know, I know... I actually did this just because I want to feel the pain for SMT players. Actually, my main reason is that I want to bitch-slap SMT players that's so cocky just because they've beaten the game and tell them to git gud or try again but in hard mode
Yeah Nocturne is a decent starting point then.

Last edited:

Motsu

Sector E honestly gets a lot of shit for no reason. There I have said it. Yes, it has a teleporter maze section. No, it isnt difficult, not as time consuming as it might appear and definitely doesnt require a guide. Maybe the fact that I named my protag Doom Guy might have helped.
Reminds me of Ys I & [II] Chronicles' teleporter maze. That one could be solved, but takes longer than anticipated.

You know what, seeing the effort you have put in, I might write a guide for the interesting fights in Devil Survivor Overclocked.
I will temporarily stop playing and making guides after I finish SMT III, so good luck writing some guides out there.

Yeah Nocturne is a decent starting point then.
...Hmm, yeah. A decent starting point for veterans. We've got the HD though—the merciless mode. Lucky for them I am using the PS2. SMT IV is a really decent starting point. It has freely been nerfed of all kinds—still had a difficulty of balls—but also has the lowest difficulty with the story pacing of a snail.

Last edited:

Ddraig

...Hmm, yeah. A decent starting point for veterans. We've got the HD though—the merciless mode. Lucky for them I am using the PS2. SMT IV is a really decent starting point. It has freely been nerfed of all kinds—still had a difficulty of balls—but also has the lowest difficulty with the story pacing of a snail.
I would argue that for someone who has only played Persona, best way to go to mainline would be P3/4/5 -> DeSu 1 -> SJ Redux or 4. That being said if you just wanna get into it head first, just start from nocturne honestly.

Motsu

I would argue that for someone who has only played Persona, best way to go to mainline would be P3/4/5 -> DeSu 1 -> SJ Redux or 4. That being said if you just wanna get into it head first, just start from nocturne honestly.
I'd like to try DeSu I, II, III & IV. I am not interested in SJ Redux. I finished P1 SEBEC & SQQ, P2 IS, P3TJ & TA. I tried P4G but never had the time to finish it and P2 ES isn't fully translated yet. I'll be going for SMT IV next month because SMT V will be released soon. They'll be on my "games-to-finish" list. Hoping I finish what I am doing immediately so I can play again and do boss guides!

Ddraig

I'd like to try DeSu I, II, III & IV. I am not interested in SJ Redux. I finished P1 SEBEC & SQQ, P2 IS, P3TJ & TA. I tried P4G but never had the time to finish it and P2 ES isn't fully translated yet. I'll be going for SMT IV next month because SMT V will be released soon. They'll be on my "games-to-finish" list. Hoping I finish what I am doing immediately so I can play again and do boss guides!
So couple of points,
  • SMT V will probably be not related to IV, it is not necessary to play the previous titles.
  • Infact from what we know, there is a decent chance to speculate that V will be a little-bit related to Nocturne
  • If you still want to someone play 4 before V is released, the whole of 4 is divided into two games - IV and IV:A. Unlike other second releases, Apocalypse is not an enhanced edition but a sequel.
  • DeSu only have I (+overclocked) and II (+record breaker). Overclocked and Record Breaker are enhanced versions.
  • DeSu 2 is decent but you can probably put it on the backburner >.>
  • DeSu 1 is fucking amazing, atleast in my opinion.
  • My personal rec would be to go DeSu 1 -> IV -> IV:A -> V if released.
  • I know Strange Journey is not a numbered release like Nocturne(aka 3) or 4, but it is mainline.
  • Digital Devil Saga trilogy is also highly regarded but I havent played it so >.>
Also any favourite demons so far?

Motsu

So couple of points,
  • SMT V will probably be not related to IV, it is not necessary to play the previous titles.
  • Infact from what we know, there is a decent chance to speculate that V will be a little-bit related to Nocturne
Yeah. I've been told most SMT games have no relation to each whatsoever. To be honest, I don't care if the SMT games have any plot-related stuff at all. They are all interesting themselves, like how they handle the execution and the difficulty... yeah, definitely would recommend to anyone.

• If you still want to someone play 4 before V is released, the whole of 4 is divided into two games - IV and IV:A. Unlike other second releases, Apocalypse is not an enhanced edition but a sequel.
I already have the game, but I won't be playing it yet. I'll be sure to open up a boss guide thread about it someday, but until then, I'll try finishing SMT III as quickly as possible.

• DeSu only have I (+overclocked) and II (+record breaker). Overclocked and Record Breaker are enhanced versions.
Alright.

• DeSu 2 is decent but you can probably put it on the backburner >.>
  • DeSu 1 is fucking amazing, atleast in my opinion.
What a dramatic change of opinion.

• My personal rec would be to go DeSu 1 -> IV -> IV:A -> V if released.
My solid schedule of the SMT would be III -> IV/:A -> V.

If SMT V releases, then I'll immediately put it as my next game. If one of my recommended games releases their latest, then I'll do those too. I will not be putting too much expectation that I can do anything.

• I know Strange Journey is not a numbered release like Nocturne(aka 3) or 4, but it is mainline.
I am not here to play the whole series or mainline. I was pulled by SMT III and IV because of their difficulty and OST. Of course, a good story is a good game, but I also have different things to do. SMT III has taken a rocket dive of popularity due to the HD version, and SMT IV is slowly getting a lot of players. I can try the old SMT's too, but I think I'll pass on that. I am a game enthusiast, but I have my limit and I want to rest.

Have you tried Ys, The Legend of Heroes, Ace Attorney, Atelier, Bravely Default, Rance, Disgaea, and other long-running series? Yeah, they've been keeping me busy for a long time.

Rance is finished, but translating a few of them for western release isn't. After finishing the 9 mainline series, I am happy to hear that The Legend of Heroes has been introducing their latest Kuro no Kiseki for the Calvard Arc which is pretty exciting! Ys Monstrum Nox will be releasing sooner than I anticipated. Bravely Default II is out and I've been finding time to play it. I already finished half of Atelier games 'cause most of them are littered trash. Disgaea VI was meh, but I, II, and V were so good!

I've been keeping up with my work too, so I definitely will only do III and IV IF any of those are released.

• Digital Devil Saga trilogy is also highly regarded but I havent played it so >.>
Not on my list though, so definitely won't start paying bucks to play it.

Also any favourite demons so far?
Lady of the Fount.

She's a pretty hot devil. If only she could become a playable character...

Last edited:

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Holy smokes, PS2 Resolution size! I swear it was only yesterday that these graphics felt so revolutionary.

Damn, really, how old am I that this is antiquated now?

Motsu

[Labyrinth of Alama: COMPLETED]
  • These are the boss for only the Labyrinth of Alama. I'd decided to keep this on a different comment to avoid having the main guide hideous and taller than what I expected. Seriously, SMT III has so many bosses, save for the fact that a few are for humorous purposes. They all offer a struggling point or a breathing room, but expecting a small space to exhale and inhale is a mistake.
  • I decided to capture the images for the two important bosses. Right, I am keeping the mystery open for those who want to play the game. Despite the fact that I share images with my other progress thread, I want to keep out any spoilers here. Moreover, I think there is an image limit, and seeing how many bosses there are, I can breathe in relief that I don't have to work out a sweat and upload an image.
  • To those using this thread to beat the bosses, I am sorry if it wasn't helpful or the GameFAQs guides are better. I am doing this for my own selfish reasons. It is fun, but yeah, nothing else comes out of making a boss guide.
  • I've been doing a lot of things so I couldn't finish the game immediately. Of course, there is also the fact that I've been struggling with every boss there is. I've fused many demons, and they were pretty significant on my journey. I've unlocked the Pierce and had Dante, but I can tell it still isn't easy to beat everyone.
  • ALSO... KEEP THE FIRST FAIRY YOU ENCOUNTER! IT doesn't matter if she evolves or gets fused, she'll be worth it for you. What about me? Well... I forgot that she was valuable and threw her along the way... no uber on me... :(

[BOSS]
Dante
  • Getting chased by Dante is nerve-racking. Jeez, almost turned a hardcore JRPG into a resident evil franchise. Save for the fact that DMC was supposed to be like RE, but was changed to become what it is today. Why can't Dante continue the Redfield Bloodline instead?
  • After entering the Fifth Kalpa, choose "head". It is his signature coin flip. If you don't know that, you're missing a lot of things in life.
  • Dante is cool so always keep him in your party, or you're a wussy.
  • In this boss battle, fuse Mikazuchi and The Harlot (OP) to drain Roundtrip (all-foes electric attack).
Strategy:
Dante is definitely nothing you've seen before, well you've done, but that's beside the point. Dante will similarly do the same thing from before, as in hitting you with Rebellion (+high crit chance) and E & I (quadruple-hit/multiple). Dante won't have Never Yield (like Endure, prevents death and puts you to 1 HP) and will never use Whirlwind (heavy force) in my experience.

Debuffing him is a waste of time, just buff your team. After his second phase, as in, after the dialogue comes in, he'll keep on attacking with Roundtrip. If you have Mikazuchi or The Harlot, you'll get over this easily. Again, if you don't know what to do with your Protagonist, have him do Focus and Divine Shot (+heavy damage)/Deathbound (+chance of hitting twice).

[BOSS]
Beelzebub
HP: 16,000
MP: 10,000
  • Again, if you've created Mikazuchi and The Harlot. You'll do fine for this one.
  • Equip the Satan Magatama if you want to be EXTRA CAREFUL or go for Gaea Magatama if you want to be an ambitionist like me (weak to force and will get a lot of damage to Beelzebub's force skill). If you don't use Satan Magatama, consider using the item called Tetraja Rock. I don't know if a magical reflect could deflect instant death skills, but just try.
  • There will be a lot of deathstones in the game, so don't be shy if you want to make the previous bosses you encountered. I definitely suggest Daisoujou, Matador, The Harlot, and Hell Bikers. The overpowered fiends I'd recommend in this fight are Daisoujou and The Harlot.
Strategy:
Beelzebub is pretty strong, but the fact that it had the tendency to fire off electricity and instant death made the game viable by having counter elementals. In fact, I had to summon/change demons to keep up the pace and had to keep Legion and Lachesis for Physical and Magical reflection about halfway through the battle. In any case, increase your team's Evasion/Hit and Physical Power to get good aim and increase the Focus + Divine Shot/Deathbound combo.

If you have Taunt, then don't go increasing your Physical Power anymore. Taunt is better because it lets you deal a lot of damage. If you want a guaranteed win, have two characters with Physical and Magical reflection. THEN spam it. Of course, since it uses a lot of MP, you'll have to use it wisely. If you luckily time the counters, then you're on fire! (Almighty skills like Fire of Sinai & Megidolaon don't get reflected... so if Beelzebub decided to do Megidolaon, then you'll be fine if you did Evasion/Hit)

If he tells you that the real fight begins, he'll keep on casting Dekaja, Dekunda & Death Flies (instant death skill). This could also mean that his remaining HP is 10,000. It doesn't really help you much, but continue the assault anyway.

[BOSS]
Metatron
HP: 16,000
MP: 10,000
  • Metatron is VERY HARD in the Hard difficulty! I am not overreacting or anything, but Metatron will slap you in the face if you don't have any good RNGs or randomly attacked or buffed everyone. Complicated and can completely obliterate your team within seconds after he cast Magic Increase or Dekunda. If you're under-leveled like me, leave Dante as the lone level 80 party member and the rest are level 70 below. Please grind a little bit.
  • If he performed Fire of Sinai after a dialogue, that's your hint that he has low health (5,000).
  • At the beginning of the battle, make Dante use Provoke and cast a physical reflection from one of your demons. Metatron will do physical attacks before that one dialogue, so this will help eat his health.
  • After one dialogue, he'll cast Megidolaon—so increase your Evasion/Hit.
  • Nirvana is the suggested Magatama here, but for me, I prefer Gaea Magatama. Seriously, Gaea Magatama is the riskiest but fastest way to end every boss battle.
  • Physical in this battle is your ultimate guide to victory. After this, you're in TDE! Congratulations!
Strategy:
Metatron will first attack everyone, or sometimes will cast an instant expel skill. You'd want to have Legion, who has innate physical reflection. Otherwise, Matador or any demon that can cast Evasion/Hit to avoid Almighty skills during the fight. Of course, Metatron can remove all buffs, debuffs, and can lower everyone's stats. However, you'll have to keep on buffing your team and debuffing Metatron with Dante's provoke (a very risky for the early fight because it'll boost Metatron's attack).

Metatron's second phase consists of him increasing his MAGIC ATTACK and then casting MEGIDOLAON. Metatron's third phase consists of him increasing his MAGIC ATTACK and then casting FIRE OF SINAI (a very very powerful Almighty attack). Some combinations would be, (dekunda + dekaja), and (dekunda/dekaja + physical attack or Almighty skill).

Your way to go buffs and debuffs are EVASION/HIT and PROVOKE! An easy one-turn crit is Dante's REBELLION. The Protagonist's physical betting skill is CHARGED (Focus... >_<) Deathbound. It'll hit twice or once, but when it hits twice, it deals a lot of damage.

[OP's COMMENT]
This is all for the Labyrinth of Amala. It was a confusing and entertaining dungeon, especially when trying to find the Star Key and the right way. I also lost my chance to get the 250,000 macca... :(

Last edited:

Motsu

[TRUE DEMON ENDING: TOWER OF KAGUTSUCHI]
  • All bosses inside this tower have real second phases (excluding Baal Avatar and Lucifer). It is recommended to be prepared at every boss battle because the difficulty they offer is the same with Beelzebub and Metatron.
  • I repeat this again, the Tower of Kagutsuchi can be a bit confusing, so use an official guide!
  • The Tower of Kagutsuchi 3 is a good place to level up, so if you are unsure whether you'll be able to beat the final boss and the true final boss, then grind as much as you can! The place also has a very high encounter rate, so top it up with Attract and you're set to grinding HARD!
  • Deathbound is the only powerful skill you need in HARD mode. Some say it is Freikugel, but it is so USELESS! Deathbound w/ pierce can hit two times! Doubling the same damage while Freikugel is a single Almighty hit skill. I did Lucifer with the only DEATHBOUND. ALL HAIL DEATHBOUND!
  • I'll be adding images here on forth, so to show the credibility of my journey to beating SMT III: NOCTURNE on the HARD difficulty. And now, I'll stop playing for a month or so because of personal issues.

[BOSS]

Ahriman
HP: 6000 (FIRST PHASE) - 18,000 (SECOND PHASE)
MP: 3000 (FIRST PHASE) - 6000 (SECOND PHASE)
  • In Ahriman's first phase, he will tell you the rule of the game. If you don't follow the rules, he'll immediately kill everyone with Hell's Call. After depleting 6000, Ahriman will take on his second form. Fed up of games, he'll start by hitting you with strong physical attacks.
  • The first rule is "Don't use PHYSICAL ATTACKS". This is a good time to buff and debuff, but remember to hit him or he won't tell you the next rule of the game.
  • His second phase is destructive! Ahriman will go for Tentacle, Megidolaon, and Apocalypse. Apocalypse being the strongest Almighty skill he has, and Tentacle being the most used physical attack. If you can time your ANTI-ATTACK mirror from his Tentacle, then he'll hit himself for 4000 damage at best.
  • Bring PHYSICAL RESISTANT demons! His Almighty skill is unblockable, but his Tentacle attack is/or can be resisted.
Strategy:
Ahriman in his first phase will tell you the rules of the game. You have to follow them, and not damaging him wouldn't progress the game, so do hit him every turn after buffing. Once the second rule of the game/done buffing and debuffing, do FOCUS + DEATHBOUND/DIVINE SHOT to immediately put him in his second phase. It ain't that much health anyway, so you'll reach there eventually.

In his second phase, Ahriman will immediately go for Tentacle (severe physical attack) and if you did TAUNT then doing ANTI-ATTACK can net you a lot of damage. After this, it becomes complicated. If you do ANTI-ATTACK then Ahriman will go for MEGIDOLAON or even worse, APOCALYPSE.

If you have DEBILITATE (LOAS) or WAR CRY then they won't hit you that much. In any case, since you already buffed at his first phase, I recommend always attacking him! ALWAYS! His second phase is a battle between who dies first.

[BOSS]

Noah
HP: 8000 (FIRST PHASE) - 15,000 (SECOND PHASE)
MP: 4000 (FIRST PHASE) - 5000 (SECOND PHASE)
  • THE LONGEST BOSS BATTLE IN THE HISTORY OF SMT III
  • Bring demons with a lot of magic skills/elemental resistance! This boss battle is excruciating up to the point that you'd want to shut down your PC. Moreover, always INCREASE MAGIC and TAUNT Noah!
  • Chakra Elixir is your greatest friend! (use a guide to find it) Some may find it invaluable, but it is one of the reasons I won the fight against him! If your protagonist is using a pure physical build, then let him do PASS or ITEM (CHAKRA ELIXIR). You can't do anything if you didn't put any buffs or magic skills... other than replenishing MP's and changing demons every time Noah changes resistance.
  • Noah's weakness (doesn't register as a weakness though, but "the only way you can hit him") pattern: It starts as ice, then fire, then force, then electricity, and loops. (what skill it uses, the opposite of it is its weakness)
  • Noah shows a sign when he is near death and that's by doing DOMINATION (drains a large amount of HP and MP from an enemy). When this happens, immediately go for the offensive!
Strategy:
Noah in his first phase isn't much of a trouble. At first, you can hit him with CHARGED DEATHBOUND/DIVINE SHOT only once. After that, he will start changing patterns of his weaknesses (refer to the top). He will use weak magic spells at first, but that's why his first phase isn't much of a trouble.

Once you deplete 8000 health, Noah will start to change the form on its head, turning the battle into its second phase. First of all, his magic spells are heavy-type and hit all-foes. Second of all, he can use DEKAJA and DEKUNDA, so if you want to think about what to do... DEBUFF HIM! TAUNT or PROVOKE is better than MAGIC INCREASE when the second phase hits. Lastly, low-health spamming Domination... this spell eradicated about 1/4 of my team.

Sometimes, if your party has ICE MAGIC, he won't show any skills to confuse which is which! He also will exploit one of your team's weaknesses, but will do none and if there is no weakness. Consider using Gaea Magatama and then bring a monster with null/drain/repel FORCE. To trick Noah into losing his turn immediately. Of course, this works for demons too. A demon with fire weakness and a demon with fire drain/repel.

If he's about to die, he will start spamming Domination! Continue the assault!

[BOSS]

Baal Avatar
HP: 13,000
MP: 5000
  • During the beginning of the battle, only do BASIC ATTACKS. This is important because when her dialogue comes in, she'll summon two monsters and will fully heal her!
  • Ose and Flauros both have the same health (6,700). They don't have any weaknesses and immunities—easy to kill but are a threat because they fully heal Baal Avatar. Kill both of them immediately!
  • This is a VERY EASY BOSS BATTLE!
Strategy:
Baal Avatar at first will do basic things, but when depleting some of her health. She will summon two monsters, one of them fully healing her! This is where the true battle begins. This is also when you'll debuff them with TAUNT or PROVOKE while focusing on a DEATHBOUND (it is so powerful when VIT+40).

Djed Magatama is a subjected necessity, but I object and would recommend Gaea Magatama instead! If you have three fiends (guaranteed to have curse immunity) then you'll have an easy battle. Baal Avatar will randomly hit someone with Bael's Bane (turns someone into a fly; incurable) or Holy Wrath (expel-type skill) but the chances of them trying to hit the Protagonist are very slim. Trust me, she kept hitting Daisoujou with both skills and I immediately won because of Deathbound.

[FINAL BOSS]

Kagutsuchi
HP: 20,000 (FIRST PHASE) - 40,000 (SECOND PHASE)
MP: 7000 (FIRST PHASE) - 10,000 (SECOND PHASE)
  • Masakados or Gaea Magatama. Preferably Masakados, but I did it with Gaea Magatama—my holy savior.
  • If you finished the fifth Kalpa before entering the Tower of Kagutsuchi, then you'll have to fight Lucifer after Kagutsuchi. Don't worry though, Lucifer is completely easy if you have a lot of buffs.
  • Unlike the rest of the battles, Kagutsuchi Phase is shifting automatically by 2 every turn. It can further push forward with the skill "Phase Shift."
  • Kagutsuchi's regular Attack is an Almighty element.
  • Kagutsuchi's defense is tied to its Phase. All damage taken receives the following modifiers based on the Phase:
    • Full: 50% damage
    • 6/8: 75% damage
    • Half: 100% damage
    • 2/8: 150% damage
    • New: 200% damage
  • Kagutsuchi Phase is permanently fixed at Full during the second phase, and it takes normal damage from all attacks.
  • Kagutsuchi's regular Attack is an Almighty element and will hit all foes in a similar manner to the Attack All passive skill.
  • He has dekunda, but will rarely use it. It doesn't matter, either way, keep on buffing and debuffing!
  • Kagutsuchi's Vast Light is dangerous (mega almighty and executable during the FULL phase). Always debuff with Debilitate or War Cry!
  • My suggestion is to bring BLACK FROST (ELEMENTAL RESISTANCE), THE HARLOT/DAISOUJOU (HEALING PRAYER), and DANTE/KALI (PROVOKE, WAR CRY, and DEBILITATE).
Strategy:
Kagutsuchi in his first form is pretty normal. He will start by casting magic spells while shifting phases. If you managed to deplete 20,000 health, then congratulations, the real battle begins! 40,000 health is large, a tall hurdle, almost as if you're trying to hike Mt. Everest. Kagutsuchi will keep on spamming his BIG GUNS—Infinite Light (a tragically powerful Almighty skill).

When he is about to use Infinite Light, he talks! That is your hint to start preparing for the worst! I recommend focusing on debuffing him with WAR CRY and DEBILITATE to alleviate the Infinite Light's dramatic damage. At this point, what you'd want to wish is Kagutsuchi attacking your party with an element that your party drains or repel!

It is also recommended to only do CHARGED DEATHBOUND... anything other than that and you're wasting your time. Not a preference, but what you really need to do. A CHARGED DEATHBOUND can damage Kagutsuchi for 4000 (IF it can hit twice and IF provoked twice) meaning that you'll need to do the same thing ten times!

A lot of things can happen during the fight, but it has its pattern solely decided by how you act! Pattern: Random Magic Skill -> Dekunda/Dekaja (if you're not buffing or debuffing, he will continue with a MAGIC SKILL) -> TALKS/USES ITS TURN (if this doesn't happen, then RANDOM MAGIC SKILLS will appear again) -> Infinite Light -> CYCLE...

Try and counter Kagutsuchi with your best effort!

[TRUE FINAL BOSS]

Lucifer
HP: 65,535
MP: 65,535
  • HARD/EASY (even if under-leveled) depending on your setup! FOLLOW MY BUILD! (POST-BATTLE EXPERIENCE POINTS)

• Freikugel is useless against the fight. DEATHBOUND is the real meat. Of course, since you have PIERCE—the 20% physical resistance that Lucifer has is gone. It is also recommended to have Life Surge, Endure, and Focus. They are your damage outputs, including PIERCE of course, but I don't have to say it.
  • Gaea Magatama is the only Magatama you need in the HARD difficulty to finish the match. Of course, Masakados is okay, but I don't need it... so, you can use it if you want.

• Have a debuffer and buffer! Lucifer will sometimes use Dekaja or Dekunda (don't make him use Dekunda!). A one-way trick to fool Lucifer into doing Dekaja is to use buff skills. If you let Lucifer do Dekunda, then good luck withstanding his Almighty skills, especially the High King.
  • The Root of Evil (random effects...) is useless! It deals little to no damage and has a high percentage to miss. Lucifer will start using it when his health is on 20,000 (you can tell how much HP he has if he heals himself... that's right, once 40,000 is depleted, Lucifer is scripted to heal (200) himself)! That means, he wastes turns!
  • IF YOU LOSE, YOU HAVE TO FIGHT KAGUTSUCHI AGAIN! DON'T LOSE!
  • As you can see, Kagutsuchi killed two of my main party members, so Dante and the Protagonist are the only people left. IT is also good that everyone is healed before the Lucifer fight happens.
  • It is recommended to have Black Frost (prominence resist), Kali (buffer and debuffer), and Daisoujou (healing prayer).
Strategy:
Lucifer at first will start attacking your team. His attack is guaranteed to CRITICAL, so his attack can one-hit your team (excluding Dante and the Protagonist). Sometimes, Lucifer will start using Prominence and Mabufudyne which is why BLACK FROST is important to the party members so that he can drain and repel all of these!

There is a one-way trick to fool Lucifer into not attacking your party! When using an ANTI-ATTACK mirror, Lucifer is guaranteed to do MEGIDOLAON. If you debuffed him with DEBILITATE, then you can easily avoid his Almighty skill and have your turn immediately. Daisoujou is important when HIGH KING (heavy almighty damage and binds enemies) happens because he can easily HEAL and remove STATUS AILMENTS from all parties!

I recommend using every single ITEM you have, and making sure that BLACK FROST always PASSES so the PROTAGONIST can do two turns! (AGI DEPENDENT) Moreover, Deathbound can deal 5000 damage at best (w/ crits) so remove Freikugel and start spamming Deathbound after FOCUS.

After depleting 40,000 HP (scripted to heal if using the Chronicle (HARD MODE)), then he'll start using Root of Evil and High Kings for REAL this time. He will also start casting Dekaja and Dekunda, but just don't let him cast DEKUNDA! HIGH KINGS (without debuff like Debilitate) can one-hit every single demon excluding the Protagonist.

ONLY LET THE PROTAGONIST HIT LUCIFER, otherwise, you will lose turns and Lucifer will punish you! Let them do buffs, heals, and blinking turns instead.

After everything, YOU DID IT! CONGRATULATIONS ME!

[OP's COMMENT]
SMT III: NOCTURNE is one of the best HARDCORE games I've ever played! Unlike Bravely Default which accumulated difficult fights only for them to be ruined by doing, MONK/DARK KNIGHT or TRAILS IN THE SKY (NIGHTMARE) were the last 6 boss battles were tempting me to go to shut down my PC. Seriously, this one never made me do those, it made me even want to FINISH THE GAME. I was ecstatic by the intense and difficult boss battles, I was filled to the brim with the challenge to beat them all no matter what.

At first, I was dying a lot in the tutorials... and then I was like, "It's really HARD... isn't it?" but then after overcoming the barrier, I fought Matador. Really hard... so hard... almost excruciating. How do I beat him? Just how? What are those bones made of? And then I realized Uzume and Nekotama were Matador's counter and I defeated him! The accomplishment made me shout a victory cry.

The encounter rate may have been annoying, but they definitely "HELPED ME" grind up some levels to immediately defeat the bosses. I mean, it is funny how when it is supposed to be stressful, yet it helped me beat all the bosses. I think the encounter rate isn't that bad after all. I don't like how people complain about the encounter rate... git gud losers.

SMT III: NOCTURNE made me reminisce of the past when I played much harder games like this, but never in my life had I found the best one out there. Maybe I could've found it and played it, but it is a shame I never found it until now. The HD version was disappointing, nothing much was changed other than the graphics. And I'd rather pay for the PS2 version... seriously, the HD never had any fixes.

Today, I am proud to call myself an SMT III veteran player. I did the TDE, I've beaten the bosses without a shed of complaints, I've had fun trying to fuse demons, and I definitely hate the sadistic puzzles. Say what you will, but I finally did it!

Now, I'll be gone for a month, but then again, I'll be back once more lol... just remember, I am not putting any effort into this guide... lol no, this is just a hobby. It takes like 30 minutes to write the guides since I take a break every one hour. I write a heavily detailed strategy for my own self-convenience. If I managed to help someone, then your welcome... but if not, then teehee~

[MY SAVEDATA]

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN FINISHED/COMPLETED BY MOTSU!

Last edited: