so what are the rules in regards to comments in chapters. just had what i assume is the author deleting a whole comment chain

Z__SKULL

just had what i assume is the author deleting a whole thread because he doent want critic and literally told somebody to "please fuck off" logged in today and the whole thing is just gone. does the author have jurisdiction in the comment section? makes sense I guess but the dudes way of handling interaction in the comment section it a bit annoying. he can not take and kind of criticism without replying with a dismissive attitude. bit miffed that me and another guy spent our time typing out with valid critic trying to help. and he just deletes it all because if your not a yes man he has an issue with you at best and insults are more common

Last edited:

Z__SKULL

Yep, we have the option to delete the comments whenever we want. It's his story anyway, so he has the control.
I see, that is rather annoying. but i see the thought process behind that. unfortunately the guy is going to create an echo chamber and anything that doesn't make his story the best ever will get deleted then.

D

Deleted member 29316

I see, that is rather annoying. but i see the thought process behind that. unfortunately the guy is going to create an echo chamber and anything that doesn't make his story the best ever will get deleted then.
Well, can't do anything about someone who chooses to do his work 'his own way'. Just take it easy. :blobthumbsup: :blob_melt:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
That also depends on the context and situation. Having a way to possibly get rid of toxicity and unnecessary hate that would only spring more and more rude comments is always welcome. Sometimes such threads just spin and spin with people flaming each other instead of following with what actually started the discussion. Naturally, with that, there will be people who use the function to their own benefit. But it's not like anyone cares what comments are under a chapter. As I said, it all depends on the situation.

Skadia

The author spent their time writing a story freely accessible on the internet, potentially dozens of thousands of words, on their own free time.

Some people are writing as a hobby and then some people barge into the comment section and deconstruct all of their hard work because they didn't like parts of it. Awesome if you're trying to get serious at writing. Garbage if you're trying to have fun.

Some people do want criticism, but others don't. That's why you should be considerate when writing comments, even if it is to express negative criticism. If you don't, well, don't be surprised to be told to "please fuck off" and see all your comments deleted, as well as getting blocked by the author.

As for echo chambers, honestly, who cares in this context? This is a self publishing site on the internet, not the Cambridge University Press. The worst thing about closing off criticism is they'll think their story is good when it potentially isn't. I'd like to point out that ratings will appear no matter what, similarly to reviews, so don't worry about that. Freedom of speech is safe.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
For me, It really depends on what the person is saying. Like I don't really care if the other person has criticism on how my book should be as it's just a matter of perspective and I don't really give a fuck about those and I'll do whatever I want. But like the ones I'm really concern about and I think authors should delete or comment on are the ones that are like "Slandering" your work.

An example of this would be for my work, where I write really short chapters (600 words), but I post more frequently(given my ability). The reason why I do this is that I based it on novels that I have read(ex: Fullmarks hidden marriage). This lead to people softcore accusing me (I cleared it up) that the reason I'm doing this was to rack up views. So when people are making comments like this, the author should either speak up because when you stay silent people will think the commenter is right. Or you can delete the comment.

So I don't really care about criticism, but slandering is a whole different story.

Last edited:

Aaky

The author spent their time writing a story freely accessible on the internet, potentially dozens of thousands of words, on their own free time.

Some people are writing as a hobby and then some people barge into the comment section and deconstruct all of their hard work because they didn't like parts of it. Awesome if you're trying to get serious at writing. Garbage if you're trying to have fun.

Some people do want criticism, but others don't. That's why you should be considerate when writing comments, even if it is to express negative criticism. If you don't, well, don't be surprised to be told to "please fuck off" and see all your comments deleted, as well as getting blocked by the author.

As for echo chambers, honestly, who cares in this context? This is a self publishing site on the internet, not the Cambridge University Press. The worst thing about closing off criticism is they'll think their story is good when it potentially isn't. I'd like to point out that ratings will appear no matter what, similarly to reviews, so don't worry about that. Freedom of speech is safe.
If you don't like criticism and only write as a hobby, then just don't publish your work and keep it to yourself. That way no one will ever give u bad criticism.

The moment you push your work to the public or post a patreon, ko-fi link, expect people to voice their word

DocB

leave a review
only mods can delete those
risk, if your criticism is not valid you might get review banned, or just banned

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
just had what i assume is the author deleting a whole thread because he doent want critic and literally told somebody to "please fuck off" logged in today and the whole thing is just gone. does the author have jurisdiction in the comment section? makes sense I guess but the dudes way of handling interaction in the comment section it a bit annoying. he can not take and kind of criticism without replying with a dismissive attitude. bit miffed that me and another guy spent our time typing out with valid critic trying to help. and he just deletes it all because if your not a yes man he has an issue with you at best and insults are more common
Fine, I see your point. It's a fair one. But lets be clear: was it a "critique " or just bitching? Cuz we authors are not obligated to listen to readers speaking unhelpful trash about our work. Maybe the way the person said it was just rude, even. Either way, I dont tolerate that kind of nonsense.

Either be civil in MY comment section when talking about ways I can improve my work, or you can take your opinions to someone who gives a fuck.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
If you don't like criticism and only write as a hobby, then just don't publish your work and keep it to yourself. That way no one will ever give u bad criticism.

The moment you push your work to the public or post a patreon, ko-fi link, expect people to voice their word
I wouldn't say that they shouldnt publish their work just cuz of that. I'd talk shit about authors who cant take even helpful criticism tho. Whether they delete my comments or not. Cuz thats toxic bullshit. I'd even write a review talking about their scum behaviour

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
Fine, I see your point. It's a fair one. But lets be clear: was it a "critique " or just bitching? Cuz we authors are not obligated to listen to readers speaking unhelpful trash about our work. Maybe the way the person said it was just rude, even. Either way, I dont tolerate that kind of nonsense.

Either be civil in MY comment section when talking about ways I can improve my work, or you can take your opinions to someone who gives a fuck.
Those are straight-up fucking facts right there man. 👍

bigbear51

Considering how much bitching people do around here I'm not surprised. People get whiny about 1 star ratings, claiming them to be trolls here all the time. You honestly expect them to handle a negative comment?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

“You have to give an editor something to change, or he gets frustrated. After he pees in it himself, he likes the flavor much better, so he buys it.”​

― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Accepting criticism with grace is a skill, and if the author can't do that, he's only shooting himself in the foot. However, different readers also have different opinions, and it is wise to wait for a second or third opinion before making changes in some cases.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Personally, I think there is only one kind of comment I would delete from my stories. Anything to the tune of "First Comment!", unless there is something more substantial added on.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Considering how much bitching people do around here I'm not surprised. People get whiny about 1 star ratings, claiming them to be trolls here all the time. You honestly expect them to handle a negative comment?
some people just cant accept their stories might simply be straight trash. That said the readers are pissy little shits too. The entire system is fucked, mate. The authors can be whiny and live in denial, the readers 1 star anything they don't like just in general. if it were me, i'd make a system based around qualified reviewers.

Like if you wanna review a story, you gotta apply for that position, mate. And have built up a history of being helpful and polite in the comment sections. Mods would have to check your comment history to verify, of course, and then decide whether you're a responsible dude or not. Then you're good to go, you can review whatever you want. Hell, people can even send you requests for reviews. I think that'd be neat, eh?

Now see that all may take a bit more work depending on the size of the website (if its really big the number of qualified reviewers may not be enough for so many submitted works) but i still think it'd be loads better than what we have now.

bigbear51

some people just cant accept their stories might simply be straight trash. That said the readers are pissy little shits too. The entire system is fucked, mate. The authors can be whiny and live in denial, the readers 1 star anything they don't like just in general. if it were me, i'd make a system based around qualified reviewers.

Like if you wanna review a story, you gotta apply for that position, mate. And have built up a history of being helpful and polite in the comment sections. Mods would have to check your comment history to verify, of course, and then decide whether you're a responsible dude or not. Then you're good to go, you can review whatever you want. Hell, people can even send you requests for reviews. I think that'd be neat, eh?

Now see that all may take a bit more work depending on the size of the website (if its really big the number of qualified reviewers may not be enough for so many submitted works) but i still think it'd be loads better than what we have now.
This is a completely idiotic idea for a review system. People already don't leave that many reviews and this would kill of that venue for feedback. Not to mention I'd rather not deal with "qualified" reviewers given the obvious divide between people that frequent this forum and people that just stick to the main site.

Toomanysorrows

Meh. There's no reason why people shouldn't share their work just because they don't like hearing criticism. It's not like the author went around being angry about the criticism, they just deleted it. No harm done. We don't even know why they deleted OPs comment.

The moment authors can police their boundaries around criticism, expect it to be used in ways people don't like. If people can't take that they should just not post criticism.