So What Do You Guys Listen To While Writing?

War_and_Poetry

Sup guys? What does everyone listen to while writing?

Myself, I LOVE Dark Ambience. Even if I'm not writing anything dark or dramatic or whatever...just love it. I mean my favorite youtube channel is Cryo Chamber because that person has THE BEST selection of Dark Ambience I've ever found online.

At the moment though, I'm listening to this:

Someone likened it to Blade Runner music. I haven't watched either the old or new one so idk if thats true or not, but yeah!!

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Nothing. Only the cold dark void.

I can't really concentrate when I listen to music while writing. Doesn't work for me.

War_and_Poetry

Nothing. Only the cold dark void.

I can't really concentrate when I listen to music while writing. Doesn't work for me.
See, I normally can't either. I can't even listen to lo-fi since that usually has my head nodding which disrupts my thinking process. It's weird to say, but if I like a certain music, it ruins my train of thought when focusing. But....dark ambience!!! I have discovered, I LOVE. AND most importantly, my love for it somehow doesn't come into conflict with my writing and thought processes. Try that link if you don't mind. It's not actually dark ambience, but it's similar enough in sound and depth that it'll give you a genuine idea on whether or not Dark Ambience would effect you or not.

And if you like it, and in turn, like Dark Ambience, I would advise trying out that youtube channel I mentioned. Cryo Chamber. And lol no it's not my channe nor do I know or have any contact with the channel's owner. I WISH I had immediate access to what that guy or gal has. I'm just advertising for others since I doubt a youtuber will ever come here to do so for him/herself.

Asami_Shirogane

Depends on the scene, if I'm writing an intense life or death action scene that turns the tides of the story. Something like this really gives me a whole kaleidoscope of ideas on how to direct it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I used to write before bed, and I didn't listen to anything, but I don't get to write anymore. I just listen to my baby scream while I floss and brush my teeth. Then, I hold a nipple in his mouth until we both fall asleep.

D

Deleted member 45782

Epic music.
Sad chinese songs. Sad songs.
OST Drama songs.
Upbeat/fluffy chinese songs.
Upbeat fluffy soothing songs/music.
Songs just came across.
Songs that came across through nightcore channels.
Haven't listened to vocaloid music in awhile but I think they are also great too.

Last edited by a moderator:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
A computer fan spinning. Occasional mouse clicks. Eerie tapping that mysteriously changes its pitch from day to day... oh wait, that one's just me furiously typing away on my mobile device or keyboard.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
古风曲 uhhh ancient-styled melodies/Chinese songs to fit the xianxia settings. If I like a song I feature it as a special BGM for a chapter! It's great to have them on loop while you write, gets you in the right mood for certain scenes~

D

Deleted member 52929

Sometimes I listen to slowed + reverb song playlists to immerse myself, sometimes when I'm feeling like listening to some background noise I put on one of those old movies that are up on youtube that I know I won't get too invested into.

skillet

a frying pan
I usually don't listen to music while writing (especially not music with words, oh noes), but for this one historical Korea/Joseon dynasty piece that's on the backburner atm, I have an entire Spotify playlist for with the necessary soundtracks. By now, it's pretty much essential for me to brainstorm for that story lolol

Nymus

rammstein, in extremo, die ärzte ... in general.
sometimes I listen to OST of my favorite movies.
and sometimes I pick a song specific to the chapter I write at that moment.

D

Deleted member 53101

Yiruma, Yuki Kajiura, and Hiroyuki Sawano. Playing it on a loudspeaker so the sound of a broken fan of my computer and the loud mechanical keyboard got eclipsed. It helps in finding inspiration and all, but if I really want to serious and focused on writing a scene, I throw any distraction out of the way. That is including music and the internet connection. Yeah ..., the latter is a source of great distraction.

Jet

I listen to the radio. Can be alternative while editing. But some ambient from popular OSTS or classical when writing. Candles help too.