Social Media on SH profile (main site)

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Because of another thread, I was just reminded of the fact that on the main page of Scribble Hub we are able to link to our website/homepage from our profiles. There are also social media buttons to share the profile of a member. But what we don't have is a dedicated slot for showcasing our own social media sites. In fact, I originally thought the social media buttons would be for the author's social media presence but, well, they're not.
So, my suggestion would be to either
  • exchange the buttons for sharing a profile on social media for links to the member's social media presence
  • add another row of buttons (maybe further up - see the picture below) and make clear which row is for what, e.g. add "Share this profile on Social Media" for the sharing-row or whatever
Since I feel it's a bit difficult to explain which places exactly I mean, here's a screenshot of my own profile with the "sharing"-row marked, as well as a box for where I could imagine a row of buttons for the member's social media presence to be. I feel like that spot would make sense since it's below the option to follow on SH, as well as the "Tip"-option that brings us to patreon/Ko-fi/whatever other thing people have there. So, basically, it'd be close to following options and links to other presences of the member.
Screenshot (218).png

Now, for why I think this would be a good idea: This might be mostly for authors, I guess, but I could also imagine that there are some people among the readers that love reviewing stuff and have blogs for that or regularly showcase art (like here on the forums) which should get more appreciation. And that kind of thing isn't always done on SH (and even if it is, it should be shared to social media so we can grab more interested people and pull them over here) or might be done on more pages than SH. The social media presence of somebody is often a good place to make sure you can get the latest news on everything going on, see some interesting stuff you might not see on here and, frankly, I just wanna stalk some of you people :blob_evil_two:

Queenfisher

Bird?
I have zero social media presence myself (I can't handle it, too intense ^^), but I support this idea because "hell yes stalking people!" :blob_cookie:

In all seriousness, I wonder which social media sites would make the cut and which wouldn't? Personally, I would add creative outlet social medias as well but then I'm afraid it would become cluttery. Like deviantart or youtube channels, for example? Because some of us here probably create in many artistic media and want to advertise both (I know I do).

yansusustories

In all seriousness, I wonder which social media sites would make the cut and which wouldn't? Personally, I would add creative outlet social medias as well but then I'm afraid it would become cluttery. Like deviantart or youtube channels, for example? Because some of us here probably create in many artistic media and want to advertise both (I know I do).
Something I've seen around for this is to give X slots for social media presence. You can choose from a list of fairly standard ones (e.g., Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and that kind of thing) but then also get the opportunity for a custom presence you can title yourself (so if deviantart wouldn't be there, you'd just write "deviantart" in the slot where you'd normally choose from the list) and then add the URL to your own presence as usual. I think that should work quite well for guaranteeing that social media that isn't that mainstream can be included.

As for the question of how to decide how many slots should be available ... I think that - if it's possible and easy to do - it might work to let people decide themselves. Like, you have three standard slots but have a little button to add a slot. Then those people who need more can add while those who only need those three (or less) just leave it at that. Slots that currently aren't used should be hidden. Maybe there could be an upper cap for how many you can add as well, like, not more than 10? That could ascertain that it doesn't get too cluttered, as you said.
Also, here might be important: If not the whole URL is displayed but just a small button that can be clicked, then the place needed is quite a bit reduced. Like, looking at the screenshot above, there are already 5 buttons down there and they don't even reach half the width of what I call the 'short info column' (no idea what it's actually called :blob_sweat:).

Btw, if we'd really want to go crazy with this, we could even group them up :blob_hmm_two: E.g., you could group your arts-y stuff and your standard stuff together or so. That might make it look more clearly arranged.

Edit:
I have zero social media presence myself (I can't handle it, too intense ^^)
Tell me about it! Honestly, the shit I see on Twitter sometimes ... :blob_facepalm: There's a reason I only do stuff on my accounts every once in a blue moon and even uninstalled the app recently.

Queenfisher

Bird?
Something I've seen around for this is to give X slots for social media presence.

As for the question of how to decide how many slots should be available ... I think that - if it's possible and easy to do - it might work to let people decide themselves. Like, you have three standard slots but have a little button to add a slot. Then those people who need more can add while those who only need those three (or less) just leave it at that. Slots that currently aren't used should be hidden. Maybe there could be an upper cap for how many you can add as well, like, not more than 10? That could ascertain that it doesn't get too cluttered, as you said.
Also, here might be important: If not the whole URL is displayed but just a small button that can be clicked, then the place needed is quite a bit reduced. Like, looking at the screenshot above, there are already 5 buttons down there and they don't even reach half the width of what I call the 'short info column' (no idea what it's actually called :blob_sweat:).

Btw, if we'd really want to go crazy with this, we could even group them up :blob_hmm_two: E.g., you could group your arts-y stuff and your standard stuff together or so. That might make it look more clearly arranged.

I am all for this! Mainly I just saw Pinterest icon in the screenshot that you've made and wondered if it actually counts as a Social Platform or Art-Sharing Community instead. But if the choices of which platforms to display can be arbitrary to the person, then I'm all for it! I only hope this thread won't get buried among all the other ones!

Tell me about it! Honestly, the shit I see on Twitter sometimes ... :blob_facepalm: There's a reason I only do stuff on my accounts every once in a blue moon and even uninstalled the app recently.

It's especially good when you've never had any accounts to begin with ^^. Whenever I had the mistaken desire to get one, all I needed was to lurk in my BF's accounts to realize that NOPE. Being a hikki who's anxious even about talking to strangers on the internet is such a blessing sometimes. It liberates you from any delusions about ever installing such terrible time drain apps on your devices ^^.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Twitter's actually quite good as long as you dont go roaming in the shitty trash heap main plains where the stupid shit is and you just stick to the borders where all the good stuff is, like history stuff and anime stuff and good art etc.
If you take it, and curate it, as just a place to follow stuff that interests you then it's a lot better than it seems. just ignore all the idiots, tards, SJWs and toxic shit around.

being able to link social media would be nice.

yansusustories

If you take it, and curate it, as just a place to follow stuff that interests you then it's a lot better than it seems. just ignore all the idiots, tards, SJWs and toxic shit around.
I would love to but being LGBT+ myself it's hard to stay away without also missing out on news in the community :blob_pout:

But glad that you like the idea I suggested :blob_melt: