Societies

Elateam

Fish and Chips Salesperson
Hello! I've been planning my next few chapters recently and a thought kind of struck me while I was writing.

Societies.

From stories like Tales of the Reincarnated Lord and maybe Release That Witch the societies tend to be pretty singular like one faith, maybe a few cultures here and there and the food tends to be the same throughout a continent. Between the nobles, it's usually a clash of goals rather than religion or some other problem. I feel like this is done because it's not a particular thing authors are interested in exploring within their novels because it might stray from the main purpose of the book or because it is too challenging.

Now my story is going to be focusing on things like religions and different cultures but the question is how deep do I want it to be explored. I have every single thing about each of the religions in a google doc that's been gathering up e-dust for the past year but I don't know if going too in-depth will stray from the general purpose of the book. Leaving many details out will make it hard to understand why some religions hate one another in my opinion.

So how much is too much and what do you think is a good way of showing this to the reader without overwhelming them? I'm asking this to both writers as well as readers. It might be a subjective thing but I want to hear some opinions before I commit to this plan.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Some authors put all the info in a glossary at the back. That way you don't have to tell people what's already the common sense in that world. If they wanna know why they hate each other they can go look, but the point isn't why. It's that they do. Focus on how it affects the world NOW i say. No need to explain in detail and treat the readers like they haven't read things like that before. As i said, they wanna know the full reasons why the groups hate each other and their stances with one another you can give it through the glossary.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I like it, if information is given, when it is needed and it is slowly build up. For example, the MC is near the border between two states/international festivals/whatever event that mix two cultures and discovers the culture together with the reader.

I get bored very fast, if I get a chunk of information without connection to the story. A glossary is okay though. Given as summary helps a lot to keep up with the story.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Explain information if needed. Otherwise, don't. You don't need to go into the deep history of why their groups hate each other, but you could just say that they have had a poor relationship historically and slip the rest in the glossary.

Elateam

Some authors put all the info in a glossary at the back. That way you don't have to tell people what's already the common sense in that world. If they wanna know why they hate each other they can go look, but the point isn't why. It's that they do. Focus on how it affects the world NOW i say. No need to explain in detail and treat the readers like they haven't read things like that before. As i said, they wanna know the full reasons why the groups hate each other and their stances with one another you can give it through the glossary.

I actually never thought about using the glossary to provide the backstory, I'll be sure to update it with relevant info. Thanks for the other advice as well, it's definitely better to just focus on the present situation in the story rather than dwelling on the past.

I like it, if information is given, when it is needed and it is slowly build up. For example, the MC is near the border between two states/international festivals/whatever event that mix two cultures and discovers the culture together with the reader.

I've been having a hard time with exposition lately in my drafts. It seems like I give the information when needed but then the snowball starts where I end up giving even more exposition :/

You don't need to go into the deep history of why their groups hate each other, but you could just say that they have had a poor relationship historically and slip the rest in the glossary.

Yah this is what I'll probably end up doing. The more important reasons for the hatred I'll exposition but the wider reasons I'll have in a glossary for the curious readers.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I actually never thought about using the glossary to provide the backstory, I'll be sure to update it with relevant info. Thanks for the other advice as well, it's definitely better to just focus on the present situation in the story rather than dwelling on the past.

I've been having a hard time with exposition lately in my drafts. It seems like I give the information when needed but then the snowball starts where I end up giving even more exposition :/

Yah this is what I'll probably end up doing. The more important reasons for the hatred I'll exposition but the wider reasons I'll have in a glossary for the curious readers.
Yeah. It's also a great to make the lore. Read Sanderson's Way of Kings and you would see. All kinds of definitions and backstories and explanations for characters, groups, magic systems... I suggest taking full advantage of the glossary system if a rich world with deep lore is what you going for.

Sonneillor

I have discussed this with my reading group and we agree that if it is not very relevant to the plot, it is not necessary to deepen too much, an occasional mention in different parts of the story to complete and thus build gradually to complement the story is the best way not to overload the reader.

Also, as they have said, a glossary, or as I do, is to write a spin-off with abundant information and that I think readers would like if they want to deepen my story.

I started writing a book, then a spin-off, now I write 3 books and the spin-off :blob_no:

Elateam

Yeah. It's also a great to make the lore. Read Sanderson's Way of Kings and you would see. All kinds of definitions and backstories and explanations for characters, groups, magic systems... I suggest taking full advantage of the glossary system if a rich world with deep lore is what you going for.

I've read Way of Kings before but I should probably re-read it since it's been a while xD and yah I should probably be using the glossary a lot more since my story will have lore.

Also, as they have said, a glossary, or as I do, is to write a spin-off with abundant information and that I think readers would like if they want to deepen my story.

I started writing a book, then a spin-off, now I write 3 books and the spin-off :blob_no:

Hey, you're better than me, I can only manage to write one story and just barely get by :sweating_profusely:

Sonneillor

I've read Way of Kings before but I should probably re-read it since it's been a while xD and yah I should probably be using the glossary a lot more since my story will have lore.

Hey, you're better than me, I can only manage to write one story and just barely get by :sweating_profusely:

I am no better than anyone, I only write a lot, so much that I am obliged to divide what I write. :blob_sweat: The provisional titles of my books are: Age of Fire and Iron, Ash World, Arena of Gods, Tales of Nurin (Spin-off where I add most of the construction of the world and little stories that come to mind)