Sociopathic MCs

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
It is called analyzing. If it happens once, okay, but it happens more frequently and readers tell you directly why, it is worth looking deeper into it.

But of course we know, you don't need it. A God of you caliber doesn't need to analyze, we lesser mortals do.
I suppose I really cant understand the plights of inferior existences :sweating_profusely:

Well at least they tell you why tho. But I dunno, that's just cuz your type of MC is niche. Readers empathize with their MCs, thats what they are supposed to do. But how many people would wanna empathize with a sociopath? With the things they do?

Granted I find that arguement bullshit when so many people can still stomach seeing xianxia MCs killing families off due to petty anger ar just one or two cunts from said family. Things like that...its hypocritical bs.

I mean I do it myself, but I treat stories differently depending on a variety of factors. I wont cut the same slack if the story was more grounded in reality, for example.

Redadam04

【Human Savant of True Almighty God】
I wrote my novel based on that setting. I loved MC who was not dense, sensible, and unlawful. They prefer to kill the sinners, degenerate monsters, and evil maniacs. :blob_popcorn: Break a leg, man. :blob_melt:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I suppose I really cant understand the plights of inferior existences :sweating_profusely:

Well at least they tell you why tho. But I dunno, that's just cuz your type of MC is niche. Readers empathize with their MCs, thats what they are supposed to do. But how many people would wanna empathize with a sociopath? With the things they do?

Granted I find that arguement bullshit when so many people can still stomach seeing xianxia MCs killing families off due to petty anger ar just one or two cunts from said family. Things like that...its hypocritical bs.

I mean I do it myself, but I treat stories differently depending on a variety of factors. I wont cut the same slack if the story was more grounded in reality, for example.
I think she treated primarily differently because my MC is female. I suspect she would have given a pass if she was male.

Arrogance > cool

Sociopath > rationale/cold

Violent > determined

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
In the first version of my first chapter, readers told me that Marc came off as controlling when I meant to portray him as supportive. I think it's because Joan has unusual desires that they took things that way, so I added a few things to make that more clear, and people stopped calling Marc controlling.

One of my friends, who met the real version of Marc, agreed with me that he was supportive in the first version, but then again, she also knows me and how weird I am, so she could put the pieces together easily. Readers who have never met me or Marc, on the other hand, needed a bit more information to understand us.

Anyway, throwing in a bit more of Joan's perspective on the situation cleared everything up.

Last edited:

CL

It's hard for me to know what is evil outside the perspective of my society. I've been told that Germans don't smile at their customers (as a way to encourage a pleasant experience). That is foreign to me when we have a Wal-Mart here that would write you up for not being hospitable enough.

What you may consider normal might not be for others.

Michuyu

I honestly might enjoy reading more stories with an evil character. Idk why they just feel so much more relatable. Maybe I'm evil myself?? o.o But Yea, don't give up on your story! Take into consideration critiques, and only change what you agree with. I find it hard myself to write evil characters even though I wanna read more stories about them haha.

Assurbanipal_II

I honestly might enjoy reading more stories with an evil character. Idk why they just feel so much more relatable. Maybe I'm evil myself?? o.o But Yea, don't give up on your story! Take into consideration critiques, and only change what you agree with. I find it hard myself to write evil characters even though I wanna read more stories about them haha.
:blob_melt: A new face. :blob_reach: *gives you a welcome hug*

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
The timing of this is kind of funny.

After some comments about my character I was really curious what people thought.

And you know we have an amazing tool at our disposal as authors to gain information even from passive readers with every post.

THE POLL!

So, I had a few comments about my main character being stupid, or mentally ill, it was bugging me a bit.
The breakdown of the answers is pretty interesting though.

Definitely pretty scattered results. But there are a few trends. Maybe this kind of idea would be helpful for some of you all?

Also if anyone who is better with polls and statistics has any ideas on how to make and interpret these sorts of things that'd be cool too!

Assurbanipal_II

The timing of this is kind of funny.

After some comments about my character I was really curious what people thought.

And you know we have an amazing tool at our disposal as authors to gain information even from passive readers with every post.

THE POLL!

So, I had a few comments about my main character being stupid, or mentally ill, it was bugging me a bit.
The breakdown of the answers is pretty interesting though.

Definitely pretty scattered results. But there are a few trends. Maybe this kind of idea would be helpful for some of you all?

Also if anyone who is better with polls and statistics has any ideas on how to make and interpret these sorts of things that'd be cool too!
Four results exceed 50% and they are all related. :blob_blank:

Aaky

A few times already that work was dropped because my MC was perceived as "sociopathically evil" and "genuinely evil" even by readers who apparently prefer neutral/evil characters and detest lawful protagonists, which I find curious.

I obviously disagree with the above assessment. I never perceived my MCs are particularly evil, but it doesn't matter, perceptions are perceptions and the reader is always right.

In any case, does anyone else have similar issues with their MC being too evil?
:blob_shade: My MC is heavily inspired on me. Yet for some reason people keep dropping the novel because the MC is an irredeemable piece of shit. Like, come on, the entire point is that he is supposed to grow into a good person.