Some art cover improvements pls?

Reisinling

1. A bit less compression please? It seems that all pictures on the site are in the .jpg format. how about switching to .webp? (according to caniuse it seems the support is pretty universal now)

2. Could we upload different image versions for the thumbnail, and as the main image? The small size of the thumbnail makes it not only pointless, but even detrimental, to have text on them. Also, background patterns just don't compress well to those sizes, so it would be nice to be able to use less textured version of an image.

3. This one the least likely to happen due to the UI requirements, but at some point would it be possible to slightly increase size of main page thumbnails? (I'm talking the ones from new chapter section)

Some people hire pretty good artists to do their covers, and it's a bit sad when you can

I think that the prominence of anime girl faces as covers is at least partially due to them being pretty much best thing to use in the current setup (they look recognizable even on small thumbnails, it's a person looking at you with big eyes so it's more eye catching). Not that It's more important than most people here just being degenerate weebs (like me), but still.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I think that the prominence of anime girl faces as covers is at least partially due to them being pretty much best thing to use in the current setup (they look recognizable even on small thumbnails, it's a person looking at you with big eyes so it's more eye catching). Not that It's more important than most people here just being degenerate weebs (like me), but still.
Scribblehub got a decent chunk of its original audience from NU, which happens to be a place filled with anime lovers. Anime-styled covers are just a natural development of that.

In addition to that, many authors that can't afford to pay for a cover just steal whatever art they like (often from animes), or go to a site where they can get copyright-free images to use as their covers... And it just so happens that there are some that provide free anime-style art, which is considerably better than the photos you get from stock images.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Some people hire pretty good artists to do their covers, and it's a bit sad when you can
True. It’s sad that you can’t zoom in or when the compression pixelates the picture.

Reisinling

Scribblehub got a decent chunk of its original audience from NU, which happens to be a place filled with anime lovers. Anime-styled covers are just a natural development of that.

In addition to that, many authors that can't afford to pay for a cover just steal whatever art they like (often from animes), or go to a site where they can get copyright-free images to use as their covers... And it just so happens that there are some that provide free anime-style art, which is considerably better than the photos you get from stock images.
I'm not saying those things are terrible or anything, but I would like it if there was more variety

AliceShiki

I'm not saying those things are terrible or anything, but I would like it if there was more variety
Ah, I'm fine either way. I was just saying that the reason for their popularity probably has nothing to do with the Thumbnail, it's probably because of the audience itself.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hmm. I don't mind it if they added an "enlarge cover" option when clicking on the image, but I don't care for Webp

Jpg is fine. No need too much work for Mr. Tony.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that there are a lot of ways to make a cover look attractive even as a small thumbnail. It's a lot about composition, placing and choice of color, etc. Larger images to covers can be added in the glossary area, if I'm not mistaken.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan will say no just for the fact that Ai-chan hates webp format and Google should burn in hell for trying to take over our lives.

Yes, that's pretty much the only reason Ai-chan would downvote this request. And no, it's a perfectly valid reason considering the core element of this request is about switching to webp. If not because of webp, Ai-chan wouldn't really have any strong opinion about the request.

If the person who made the webp format has a face, Ai-chan would stab it.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Ai-chan will say no just for the fact that Ai-chan hates webp format and Google should burn in hell for trying to take over our lives.

Yes, that's pretty much the only reason Ai-chan would downvote this request. And no, it's a perfectly valid reason considering the core element of this request is about switching to webp. If not because of webp, Ai-chan wouldn't really have any strong opinion about the request.

If the person who made the webp format has a face, Ai-chan would stab it.
Oh my..... please do not stab anyone.... :blob_neutral:

AliceShiki

Just wanted to say I hate webp because Paint doesn't support it, so everytime I see a webp image that I wanna download, I end up needing to reverse search for a JPG or a PNG alternative, and it's really annoying... >.>

namio

Given the size of the covers, even I as an artist do not give too much thought about how lossless something is when it's 250x350... I'd rather have enlarge, I agree with LinXueLian. Also, to supplement what AliceShiki said, not only does Paint not support webp, but neither do Clip Studio Paint and SAI. GIMP, Paint.NET, AND Photoshop seem to require plugins. It also hardly functions in a multitude of sites and platforms. God knows why they send as stickers on TG.

Also, frankly speaking, I think those anime covers has less to do with it being recognizable as much as people just want anime girls on their covers. You can't exactly control what people do.

Reisinling

Just wanted to say I hate webp because Paint doesn't support it, so everytime I see a webp image that I wanna download, I end up needing to reverse search for a JPG or a PNG alternative, and it's really annoying... >.>
I strongly recommend getting and using paint.net, it's free-free, and great paint alternative (though I seem to recall that it costs money on windows store, and the version from the official website is free). It also allows you to open and save webp as another format if you wish so.

@namio - I just edited webp image with my paint.net download and I have no plugins

namio

I strongly recommend getting and using paint.net, it's free-free, and great paint alternative (though I seem to recall that it costs money on windows store, and the version from the official website is free). It also allows you to open and save webp as another format if you wish so.

@namio - I just edited webp image with my paint.net download and I have no plugins
Paint.NET is far from being commonly used, though. If I have to download yet another program when I myself already have 3 of the biggest art/digital image manipulation softwares installed in my laptop just to be able to convert a file, that format isn't that commonly used. And once again, size isn't that big of a problem when we're talking in those dimensions. I just converted one of my covers (fully painted watercolors, so lots of textures) from a max quality JPG to a webp. Went from a whole 135 kb to 131 kb.

AliceShiki

I'm aware of its existence, but 90% of what I do with paint is opening PNG files and saving them as JPEGs, so I don't really need a new software for that.

... The other 10% are some weird stuff, like opening a file I'm editing on GIMP, creating a handful of circles on it with Paint, then going back to GIMP to do whatever thing I was doing in GIMP on it... Because it's surprisingly complicated to make basic geometric forms on GIMP, they even have a tutorial on their site on how to make a circle... >.>

I digress, in any case, I just wanted to say webp personally annoys me because it's not supported by the basic softwares that come built-in in my machine. And that's pretty annoying because I don't have much of a need of other image editing softwares, so I just wanna do everything on paint.

PS: Yes, I'm aware I just said I use GIMP from time to time, so I do have more than 1 software... But I don't wanna have 3 softwares just because I need one that can handle webp... >.>

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
1. A bit less compression please? It seems that all pictures on the site are in the .jpg format. how about switching to .webp? (according to caniuse it seems the support is pretty universal now)
Just wanna say, out of the thousands of times I've needed to put pictures in a format, I've probably used .jpg over 950 times and .webp just about 50 times.... not really common, just sayin'.

D

Deleted member 20302

This conversation feels wholesome for some reason.
I just wish there's a way to make the picture clearer, that's all. With png or jpeg.