Some Cultural Foodstuffs...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

Well, just as the title says, it's all about the food. However, this thread focuses on the food that can only be found in certain cultures. So yeah, what's your country's (or culture's) pride?

I'll start with ours. Filipinos are known to possess 'sweet tooth'. As in anything, and everything, we eat, we try to put a 'sweet twist'. Oddly though, we're also known for Adobo (a meat dish mixed with soy sauce and vinegar), and the 'infamous Balut' (a boiled duck fetus we always let the foreigners try when they come here for the first time). As for our sweet foodstuffs, we have the 'Filipino' spaghetti (it's like the Italian one, only sweeter), and the 'Chili Ice Cream' (I already tasted it; it's a combination of sweetness and spicyness).

Mercyque

Do we count drinks of weird kinds. Since I found a black licorice soda that surprised me with how good it was.

Bought it only cause of the label and now I can't find my precious soda anywhere in Canada.

I feel like buying 3 cases. Or stealing the recipe. Just kidding to the last one.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Oooh...so there's also the region thing, huh? Just like in ours, mostly in the North Philippines, you'd get vegetable dishes.
You’ll find deep fried food anywhere in the US, but the south and the Midwest will fry anything, and I fully approve. When I lived in the NY I ate a lot of Polish/Irish/Italian foods. When I lived in LA I ate a lot of Mexican and Japanese food, and now I eat almost 100% Puerto Rican food. US has so many cultures mixed together it’s hard to say what foods define us.

But triple bacon cheeseburger’s, deep fried food, and BBQ can be found everywhere.

D

Deleted member 29316

Do we count drinks of weird kinds. Since I found a black licorice soda that surprised me with how good it was.

Bought it only cause of the label and now I can't find my precious soda anywhere in Canada.

I feel like buying 3 cases. Or stealing the recipe. Just kidding to the last one.
Yep! Put them all here!

You’ll find deep fried food anywhere in the US, but the south and the Midwest will fry anything, and I fully approve. When I lived in the NY I ate a lot of Polish/Irish/Italian foods. When I lived in LA I ate a lot of Mexican and Japanese food, and now I eat almost 100% Puerto Rican food. US has so many cultures mixed together it’s hard to say what foods define us.

But triple bacon cheeseburger’s, deep fried food, and BBQ can be found everywhere.
Those kinds of food are also popular here in the southern parts of Luzon, near the capital Manila. In fact, you could find a lot of diverse menus and restaurants if you travel around.

Oh and I forgot to mention, we also have our street foods here, like 'Fishball', 'Kikiam', 'Palamig' (this one's a drink)...most of which are deep fried.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Went to Korea, South not North, in a short business trip and have to say it. Vegetable bowl and kimchi. I detest being a herbivore.

At least at night it is pure beer and fried chicken wings.

D

Deleted member 29316

Went to Korea, South not North, in a short business trip and have to say it. Vegetable bowl and kimchi. I detest being a herbivore.

At least at night it is pure beer and fried chicken wings.
While I do appreciate veggies, I also prefer meat. However, I had to content myself with chicken meat, coz well...diabetes.

In any case, have you ever tried 'Bulalo'? It's a Filipino dish from slow-cooked (and boiled) bone marrow, and it tastes great. Just need to watch out for blood cholesterol though...

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Well, just as the title says, it's all about the food. However, this thread focuses on the food that can only be found in certain cultures. So yeah, what's your country's (or culture's) pride?

I'll start with ours. Filipinos are known to possess 'sweet tooth'. As in anything, and everything, we eat, we try to put a 'sweet twist'. Oddly though, we're also known for Adobo (a meat dish mixed with soy sauce and vinegar), and the 'infamous Balut' (a boiled duck fetus we always let the foreigners try when they come here for the first time). As for our sweet foodstuffs, we have the 'Filipino' spaghetti (it's like the Italian one, only sweeter), and the 'Chili Ice Cream' (I already tasted it; it's a combination of sweetness and spicyness).
you ain't lived till you had a good tamale, friend.

....I would say Navajo taco instead but fucking Tacobell copied it and renamed some nonsense. "Chalupa"...pfft. Just a poorly made Navajo taco. smh

D

Deleted member 29316

you ain't lived till you had a good tamale, friend.

....I would say Navajo taco instead but fucking Tacobell copied it and renamed some nonsense. "Chalupa"...pfft. Just a poorly made Navajo taco. smh
I looked at Tamale and Navajo Taco in Google, and I'm getting hungry the more I reply to this thread. XD

Generik0

Out of all of my culture's food, there is only one thing I gave a 10/10.

Of course its Maja Blanca

Here is the thing tho. It melts directly in your mouth making for a soft eat. Also, the fact that it is not very sweet and can be eaten by those who are on a diet.
Its coconut flavor plus added with corn is such a delicate feeling. In my opinion, Pf all deserts in my culture, this one tops it.