Some Cultural Foodstuffs...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

The world thinks so. While if you say it, in a company of Belarussian and Ukrainian they would say it's their food. And they would be right, as most of the cuisine came to us from long ago, while it was all a part of a single state. So strictly speaking, Russian cuisine doesn't exist. As Russia was an empire before, then the Soviet Union, absorbing all the kinds of different food from all over the giant territory. And then it broke down, leaving us with a large variety of food, yet I can't say we have something exclusive to us. At least from my point of view. Also, don't mix up Russian cuisine that is promoted in restaurants all over the world and the real staple food everyone eats.
I'm an enthusiast of Russian culture and history, and would certainly would love to try some Russian cuisine.

yep, it is actually (mostly) healthy. packed full of b vitamins and potassium, fat free, no added sugar and certified halal, kosher and vegan friendly. it does have a high sodium level that but there's a low sodium version as well.
it's such a good source of vitamins it's been included in australian military rations since WW2.
Hmm...someday I'd like to try tasting it. Vegemite seemed interesting to me...

Angry_Clown

While if you say it, in a company of Belarussian and Ukrainian they would say it's their food.

No. No, they wouldn't.

Pelmeni are traced to the Ural and Siberia regions. Which are Russia.

Beef Stroganoff is a refined version of an older russian recipe and first mentioned (in print) by a Russian cookbook.

Rassolnik originated around the 15th century. In Russia.

Zefir is an evolution of pastila, which is also a Russian confectionery.

But sure, "rUsSiAn CuIsInE dOeSn'T eXiSt".

And wtf. Don't bullshit me on account that people in Russia don't eat any of the things I mentioned, lmao. Those are widely spread and common dishes. Get out of here with your self-denigrating bullshit.

SailusGebel

No. No, they wouldn't.

Pelmeni are traced to the Ural and Siberia regions. Which are Russia.

Beef Stroganoff is a refined version of an older russian recipe and first mentioned (in print) by a Russian cookbook.

Rassolnik originated around the 15th century. In Russia.

Zefir is an evolution of pastila, which is also a Russian confectionery.

But sure, "rUsSiAn CuIsInE dOeSn'T eXiSt".

And wtf. Don't bullshit me on account that people in Russia don't eat any of the things I mentioned, lmao. Those are widely spread and common dishes. Get out of here with your self-denigrating bullshit.
I won't argue with you. I was wrong.

D

Deleted member 29316

@Angry_Clown @SailusGebel Ah well, let's chill and talk about our culture's food.

Filipino cuisine is also an amalgamation of local, Spanish, Moor, Chinese, and Indian cooking, so technically, we couldn't call something our own. But well, since it's been cooked for centuries now by generations of Filipinos (and with their own homely twists), we've been able to adopt it as our own.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Uhh well I hear Texas is known for chilli and barbecue and stuff (definitely didn't have to look that up.) but honestly the only food I eat that I guess could be considered "cultural" are my dad's ribs and my grandma's tamales.

Tx93

So... i am going drop here two dishes.
"Vėdarai" well.. stuffed pig guts with potatos.. and "šakotis". This one is i have no idea how to describe.. big cookie/cake?

D

Deleted member 29316

Uhh well I hear Texas is known for chilli and barbecue and stuff (definitely didn't have to look that up.) but honestly the only food I eat that I guess could be considered "cultural" are my dad's ribs and my grandma's tamales.
Mexican food?

D

Deleted member 29316

So... i am going drop here two dishes.
"Vėdarai" well.. stuffed pig guts with potatos.. and "šakotis". This one is i have no idea how to describe.. big cookie/cake?
This is...Czech cuisine?

Edit: We also have the same dish here called 'Dinuguan' where we cook the pig's guts in its blood and vinegar. Dinuguan can be translated into 'Bloodied'.

D

Deleted member 29316

Something like that. She also makes menudo and tons of pastries so I don't know if it has much to do with culture, or just finding cool recipes on the internet. Her tamales and german chocolate cakes are good though.
Oooh...menudo is also part of Filipino table, especially during festivities like Christmas.

Well, thanks to the internet, cuisines nowadays are very much diverse. I can cook dumplings and create sushi, btw.

Tx93

This is...Czech cuisine?

Edit: We also have the same dish here called 'Dinuguan' where we cook the pig's guts in its blood and vinegar. Dinuguan can be translated into 'Bloodied'.

Nah. Its Lithuanian. There are other foods now that i think of, but they are have simmilar variations in region.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm American and have some very diverse ancestors, but the majority of my DNA is German. My dad likes to have bratwurst with sauerkraut and German beer around Oktoberfest time.

My mom's family favorite recipe is a stacked (not rolled) enchilada because they're easier to throw together. They used to get their enchilada sauce out of a can, but since my dad does the cooking, he now makes enchilada sauce from scratch.

Personally, I love food from lots of cultures.
  • I eat hummus for breakfast pretty much every day unless my husband decides to cook eggs and bacon.
  • My absolute favorite food is cajun-style catfish, but it takes a lot of work to make it, so I just ask my dad to make it on my birthday. I've made it myself a few times, but I consider it a special occasion food.
  • Thai peanut sauce is super easy to make and lasts a long time, so I make that frequently. It's great over noodles, rice, or broccoli, so now that I have gestational diabetes, I put a bunch of broccoli on my plate and only a small portion of buckwheat noodles before drenching it all in peanut sauce. I use a sugar substitute in the peanut sauce itself and buy peanut butter without added sugar.
  • My favorite Indian dish is saag paneer. Again, it's a lot of work, but I've made it a few times, including making the paneer from scratch.
  • I often make a simple curry with coconut milk. There's no one specific culture I consider my curry to belong to. I just do it the cheapest and fastest way I can with the ingredients that are available in my local stores. I'm ordering a bunch of powdered coconut milk online to make that process even less expensive.
  • I like to cut open a medium/large pumpkin, stuff it with meat and vegetables, and toss it in the oven for a few hours. Basically, the pumpkin turns into a slow cooker. I used to add rice too, but now we're using grated cauliflower due to my gestational diabetes.
  • I make pizza from scratch, but these days, I use slabs of eggplant for the crust due to my gestational diabetes.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I looked at Tamale and Navajo Taco in Google, and I'm getting hungry the more I reply to this thread. XD
and people are mainly just listing dinner or lunch foods. Imagine if you got more dessert. LIke honestly bro. Look up Baklava and just try and tell me you didn't have a foodgasm. Crushed pistachio(or almond and pecan) and honey between layers of puff pastry....aw yeah man. First time I heard of that damn thing I HAD to make it.

But after that I got lazy. So, protip? You can order some damn good baklava from Baklavaking.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
and people are mainly just listing dinner or lunch foods. Imagine if you got more dessert. LIke honestly bro. Look up Baklava and just try and tell me you didn't have a foodgasm. Crushed pistachio(or almond and pecan) and honey between layers of puff pastry....aw yeah man. First time I heard of that damn thing I HAD to make it.

But after that I got lazy. So, protip? You can order some damn good baklava from Baklavaking.
Ever heard of fried ice cream?

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
An abomination
Look at it in the face and say it again.
fried ice cream2.jpg

D

Deleted member 29316

I'm American and have some very diverse ancestors, but the majority of my DNA is German. My dad likes to have bratwurst with sauerkraut and German beer around Oktoberfest time.

My mom's family favorite recipe is a stacked (not rolled) enchilada because they're easier to throw together. They used to get their enchilada sauce out of a can, but since my dad does the cooking, he now makes enchilada sauce from scratch.

Personally, I love food from lots of cultures.
  • I eat hummus for breakfast pretty much every day unless my husband decides to cook eggs and bacon.
  • My absolute favorite food is cajun-style catfish, but it takes a lot of work to make it, so I just ask my dad to make it on my birthday. I've made it myself a few times, but I consider it a special occasion food.
  • Thai peanut sauce is super easy to make and lasts a long time, so I make that frequently. It's great over noodles, rice, or broccoli, so now that I have gestational diabetes, I put a bunch of broccoli on my plate and only a small portion of buckwheat noodles before drenching it all in peanut sauce. I use a sugar substitute in the peanut sauce itself and buy peanut butter without added sugar.
  • My favorite Indian dish is saag paneer. Again, it's a lot of work, but I've made it a few times, including making the paneer from scratch.
  • I often make a simple curry with coconut milk. There's no one specific culture I consider my curry to belong to. I just do it the cheapest and fastest way I can with the ingredients that are available in my local stores. I'm ordering a bunch of powdered coconut milk online to make that process even less expensive.
  • I like to cut open a medium/large pumpkin, stuff it with meat and vegetables, and toss it in the oven for a few hours. Basically, the pumpkin turns into a slow cooker. I used to add rice too, but now we're using grated cauliflower due to my gestational diabetes.
  • I make pizza from scratch, but these days, I use slabs of eggplant for the crust due to my gestational diabetes.
You got really diverse food choices. As for me, I used to eat a lot of foods from different cuisines, but diabetes happened, so well...I'm minimizing my sugar.

I also like curry, especially if it's super spicy. In fact, it's one of my family's main complaints when I cook it. They're weak to spicy stuff. But yeah, I don't have a specific 'favorite' dish. If anything, I'd like to try everything. 😁

D

Deleted member 29316

Would love some dessert, but yeah, diabetes happened.

However, who says dying with a smile on my face isn't great? Would love to try your suggestions. 😁