Sound Effects.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
What if we could add a small icon at the end of sentences we want, and when the reader clicks that icon, he/she can hear the sound effect added by the author.

For example:

Arthur shouted with rage. "It is over. You cannot escape from me this time." Arthur pointed a weapon towards the masked man. "I will finally avenge her!"

Man with the mask laughed. "It is not my fault that she was that weak. We all know the rules of nature. Only the strongest deserves to live."

Arthur, while his hands were still shaking because of the anger, pressed the trigger.

Fire came out of guns muzzle, illuminated the dark alleyway for a second, and the sound of gun shots echoed thought the streets. (Icon)

Bullet pierced through the masked man's chest. Blood and flesh scattered around, and the masked man collapsed to the ground.

Arthur, not satisfied only shooting the man who killed his daughter once, moved next to the masked man giving his last breaths, and pointed his gun towards him.

Until no bullet in the gun's magazine, Arthur fired his gun at the masked man bleeding on the ground. (icon2)

End of example.

In the example I write, when the reader clicks the first icon, he/she will hear a single gunshot, and when they press the second icon, they will hear multiple gunshots.

As a fun tool, I think writers can add extra detail into more dramatic scenes if they wanted to.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I probably wouldn't use it personally because it sounds like too much work, but it does sound like a cute gimmick.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
That sounds like an okay idea. However, I have no use for it. To be honest, it just doesn't sound practical. The amount of coding needed for that would be insane and I don't want the mods to have to do that.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
What if we could add a small icon at the end of sentences we want, and when the reader clicks that icon, he/she can hear the sound effect added by the author.

For example:

Arthur shouted with rage. "It is over. You cannot escape from me this time." Arthur pointed a weapon towards the masked man. "I will finally avenge her!"

Man with the mask laughed. "It is not my fault that she was that weak. We all know the rules of nature. Only the strongest deserves to live."

Arthur, while his hands were still shaking because of the anger, pressed the trigger.

Fire came out of guns muzzle, illuminated the dark alleyway for a second, and the sound of gun shots echoed thought the streets. (Icon)

Bullet pierced through the masked man's chest. Blood and flesh scattered around, and the masked man collapsed to the ground.

Arthur, not satisfied only shooting the man who killed his daughter once, moved next to the masked man giving his last breaths, and pointed his gun towards him.

Until no bullet in the gun's magazine, Arthur fired his gun at the masked man bleeding on the ground. (icon2)

End of example.

In the example I write, when the reader clicks the first icon, he/she will hear a single gunshot, and when they press the second icon, they will hear multiple gunshots.

As a fun tool, I think writers can add extra detail into more dramatic scenes if they wanted to.
I think it would be a good idea for comic style but for novels, it’s a bit out there.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I think it could be great.

Female authors could add ASMR for their smut :P

And I'd put honk sounds at every corner

It's not really vital, but it has some potential. A few more features, and we could have straight up visual novels on SH lol

LostLibrarian

So where do you store the sounds?
And what is about copyright and other legal problems?

It could be fun for certain types of novels, but there is no way it'll ever find its way here...

wildan1197_

Yeah, I think it's quite inconvenient. For my work, I only use sound effects that I think are quite common and familiar for the readers. You can find it in manga/comics or look it up on the internet.

"Onomatopoeia for...."

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan thinks some people would use it. But frankly speaking, it's way too much work for our sole programmer, Tony. He will need to think up of where to get the sounds, where to store the sounds, how to make it so that the sounds will be reproduced without massively slowing down the page (since the sound will still need to load), how to make it so that it doesn't cause conflict with the wordpress theme, how to program it in javascript without causing conflict with the backend, etc etc etc.

Take note that many readers are on mobile data, sound files, even 2 second .wav is still bigger than 1000 words. That's a huge amount of data you lose from something that you don't use. You can probably argue that Tony can just allow readers to choose to set it on or off, but that simple means that Tony will do double work.

Also take into account that many readers are on old machines. Which means this feature would make them unable to load the pages and therefore, make them unable to read the novels. Ai-chan knows someone who still runs on 2GB RAMs, and if you're on a 5 year-old MacBook Air, you'd likely have 4GB RAM, which is only barely enough to run this website smoothly. With this feature, you won't be able to load this site after 20 pages.

Maybe Tony can do it as a passion project, but it doesn't actually add to the user experience on this site.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I think it could be great.

Female authors could add ASMR for their smut :P

And I'd put honk sounds at every corner

It's not really vital, but it has some potential. A few more features, and we could have straight up visual novels on SH lol
smuthub... it would get strengthened.