Spam Hate

Arkus86

I left a 5 star to try and even it out, that aint fair.
By the same logic, people could rate 1 star to "even it out" when they feel a story has too many 5 star ratings. If you feel someone abused the ratings, report it and let mods do their magic.
I don't think it's fair to rate a story until 5 chapters are out. I had one come out with just a prologue and someone gave it 3 stars...now that book has more chapters but people might not read it because it's a 3 star rating. Perhaps with a 5 chapter required to rate, add a reason required for rating as such? Just an idea.
I will just say this: aside from the aforementioned shorts/one-shots, some novels have sparser releases of 4000+ words, while others have frequent releases with no more than couple hundred words.

A

aznviet3

I would like to let the readers decide whether the comments are good or bad base on the likes and dislikes as oppose to outright just removing them in my opinion. It's not the best or fool proof but hey nothing is perfect.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Leaving 5-stars to "even things out" is just as bad as random 1-stars. They're both unreasonable and undeserved, but one of them will be remedied by Tony and the other won't.

From one point of view it's not great, but overall it is far better than leaving 1-stars because it shows that this is a very supportive community of people who refuse to be bystanders if they are informed of something unfair. I believe this kind of mentality is necessary to protect community members and authors. Without this type of reactive resistance the site would be vulnerable to all sorts of trolling and attack. So I applaud them and the mentality behind their actions.

It certainly skews the rating for this story, but so does being targeted. The story may even get targeted again. Both situations are not completely within control, but I know which one of the two is more favourable and it makes me feel so much better about this site and the userbase! It's too optimistic to believe that one moderator alone can handle all problems considering time/energy limitations. Users are constrained to act in the few creative ways available to them, and I would encourage it because it's the people that defend SH.

It's a battle between vengeful forces and cohesive supportive forces. I don't want the tide of battle to turn the other way, so I will always encourage the non-destructive side even if their means are not perfect. Expediency.

Last edited:

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
From one point of view it's not great, but overall it is far better than leaving 1-stars because it shows that this is a very supportive community of people who refuse to be bystanders if they are informed of something unfair. I believe this kind of mentality is necessary to protect community members and authors. Without this type of reactive resistance the site would be vulnerable to all sorts of trolling and attack. So I applaud them and the mentality behind their actions.

It certainly skews the rating for this story, but so does being targeted. The story may even get targeted again. Both situations are not completely within control, but I know which one of the two is more favourable and it makes me feel so much better about this site and the userbase! It's too optimistic to believe that one moderator alone can handle all problems considering time/energy limitations. Users are constrained to act in the few creative ways available to them, and I would encourage it because it's the people that defend SH.

It's a battle between vengeful forces and cohesive supportive forces. I don't want the tide of battle to turn the other way, so I will always encourage the non-destructive side even if their means are not perfect. Expediency.

In that case, I'll have to ask the people who were so nice as to show their solidarity withdraw their ratings after Tony's passed through unless they've read it. We both know that won't happen, so it's better to not. Just report it and move on.

I will just say this: aside from the aforementioned shorts/one-shots, some novels have sparser releases of 4000+ words, while others have frequent releases with no more than couple hundred words.

Doesn't have to be chapter count; word counts would work just as well.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
This could be curbed by just putting a criteria for slotting a review. Something like "read minutes" or anything of that sort. Leave at least 5 coherrent comments with a set number of words to leave your stars.

There better be something to keep the ratings under control or SH becomes a literiture YouTube.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
I didn't like the story. Lacked a good hook and the writing wasn't immersive at all. Perhaps the low ratings were deserved, perhaps not. Either way, ratings should be given whether you like a story or not, as it allows others to get an idea of the quality of the book they are going to be reading.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I think all the ratings should be removed except for those who read it. Leaving the good ones who didn't read it is like giving "participation awards" just for showing up to a competition. Which I've never agreed with because it diminishes any actual achievement/victory to those who genuinely deserve it and gradually weakens the resolve of others to improve. If their going to get something positive even without doing something more, why strive to be better?

LWFlouisa

That's actually the biggest reason I left royal. Youtube has this problem as well though. Although at least with youtube they do eventually plan on implementing a solution.

Goodreads still hasn't. I also feel like certain genre communities are ... especially prone to that. Not going to name names though.

It's a bit of a running gag for people (on youtube) to sometimes say "if you disagree with something I've said, please comment below. I believe in freedom of speech, but please don't be lazy."

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪

Mhm! I really lean on this side too!

One of the major things for me is that many new writers have sensitive egos.

A couple bad ratings can kill the writer’s motivation to continue — and then the series stops.

I’ve heard people say that authors should develop a “thick skin”, but there are a lot of amateurs on this site. There are some people who have really interesting and fascinating stories, and the most common outcome is it’s dropped by the author — for a variety of reasons, but ratings and comments and views can certainly play a factor.

In this sense, insta-1-stars are really damaging — and the 5-stars less so.

Accumulate enough negativity, and then the author just stops writing entirely.

Is all of it deserved based on the “goodness” of the book? I would argue not — that lots of people rate just because they hate genres, such as BL, or the plot didn’t go a certain way the reader wanted.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Mhm! I really lean on this side too!

A couple bad ratings can kill the writer’s motivation to continue — and then the series stops.

I’ve heard people say that authors should develop a “thick skin”, but there are a lot of amateurs on this site. There are some people who have really interesting and fascinating stories, and the most common outcome is it’s dropped by the author — for a variety of reasons, but ratings and comments and views can certainly play a factor.

Is all of it deserved based on the “goodness” of the book? I would argue not — that lots of people rate just because they hate genres, such as BL, or the plot didn’t go a certain way the reader wanted.

You definitely need a thick skin. Every time that I look at the trending page and see a successful Ero themed story a tiny bit of motivation dies inside me. :blob_melt:

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Who told you about me? :blob_frown:

I don't wanna see my story's rating anymore. It' starting to make me a bit obsessed. I've got this complex about how my story isn't funny or fun enough. It's always really stressful and dire for my current MC. You see, I know what fun and comedy is in theory, but ....

Every time that I look at the trending page and see a successful Ero themed story a tiny bit of motivation dies inside me. :blob_melt:
=D
Why don't you just stop writing your current story and change it to "Asami X Shinobi, Lewd Shuriken of Love"

Assurbanipal_II

Who told you about me? :blob_frown:

I don't wanna see my story's rating anymore. It' starting to make me a bit obsessed. I've got this complex about how my story isn't funny or fun enough. It's always really stressful and dire for my current MC.

=D
Why don't you just stop writing your current story and change it to "Asami X Shinobi, Lewd Shuriken of Love"

That is a good idea. But first I have to study adequate research material in form of hentai. :blob_sir:

Assurbanipal_II

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
That at least the impression that I got. If I see titles like A Hero turned Succubus Tale, The Sex Beast System (The World Of Systems), Overlord of Sin ,The Lust System, The Harem King, Invincible Canadian Hermaphrodite Goddess Cultivator, The Erotic RPG System, then I think that I am in fact not that far from the truth and their main source of inspiration.
But you gotta admit they make up some good guilty pleasure. Bad guilty pleasure but pleasure nonetheless

Assurbanipal_II

But you gotta admit they make up some good guilty pleasure. Bad guilty pleasure but pleasure nonetheless

I never said that they are bad or that I judge you for that. I just think that most of them seem copied straight out of the first best hentai and I can tell the difference plotwise.