Sports Genre

Horrorific

Currently, I'm experimenting with making a one-shot sports novel. I just realize that making a novel with many chapters talking about sports is entirely impossible.

But the question is have you guys ever thought on making a sports novel? No, I'm not talking about a sports novel where you write about a player lifestyle and just skip the whole sports thing, moving on to the after the game conversation.

I'm talking about where you have to write the player's action like 'C.Ronaldo received a long slant pass by J.Cuadrado from the middle of the field. He proceeded to dribble the ball all the way to the goalpost where there are two defenders and a goalkeeper defending the goalpost. He kicked the ball as the clock is indicating the match is almost over. The ball swerved from right to left, confusing the goalkeeper. Then, the Juventus's crowd goes wild as they saw the ball is inside the goal.'

Sports novel is kind of hard because it needs to hype the reader and make them really understand the situation in the novel. So what's your thought about this?

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Does that mean you will study transcriptions of sports commentators for reference?

I've read a number of sports manga, mostly by Adachi, but I can't remember reading any sports novels.

Hmm, if you consider chess a sport, albeit a mental and not a physical one, there is that broadway play called Chess. I only read the summary and listened to the songs many years ago. Most notable were One Night in Bangkok and I Know Him so Well.

Horrorific

Hmm, if you consider chess a sport, albeit a mental and not a physical one, there is that broadway play called Chess.
I can only imagine every chess sports novel where all the protagonist is like 'You fell for it, fool! Thunder Cross Split Attack!'

Does that mean you will study transcriptions of sports commentators for reference?
I have received a lot of knowledge from certain sports. So I don't think I need to, and it will mess my whole novel with commentators mixing up in players' trash-talking scene.

Last edited:

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
To clarify, narrating of actions would be similar to how sports commentators balance hype and detailed reporting.

The nearest to a sports novel I had read (most, not all):

Horrorific

To clarify, narrating of actions would be similar to how sports commentators balance hype and detailed reporting.

The nearest to a sports novel I had read (most, not all):

Ay, this can be considered a sports genre novel. Martial arts is too common, but I'm searching for the real world's sports like soccer, American football and basketball. I guess writing a sports novel is really hard. But hey, I'm only experimenting, who knows what would happen to the novel.

I'm writing a fast-paced sports. If I add commentators with detailed reports, It feels like the game just stopped to hear some commentators's babbles.

Last edited:

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
If you ask random people about manga they might easily enumerate Whistle!, Eyeshield 21, and Slam Dunk!

Sports novels, they might retort with "Those exist?"

They might listen on the radio or watch tv. If they read, they read about the results in the newspapers and magazines. Sports novels are probably limited to biographies.

Of course, nowadays, it's smartphones and social networks and microblogs.

Horrorific

If you ask random people about manga they might easily enumerate Whistle!, Eyeshield 21, and Slam Dunk!

Sports novels, they might retort with "Those exist?"

They might listen on the radio or watch tv. If they read, they read about the results in the newspapers and magazines. Sports novels are probably limited to biographies.

Of course, nowadays, it's smartphones and social networks and microblogs.

Ahaha, it's a 100% they will retort with that and all of the people read for results only. That's why I'm experimenting with a sports novel to challenge all the reader's imagination to another level. I'm obviously not gonna narrate a 48 minutes game, added with timeouts too. It will make the story a lot boring.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Not exactly sports, but I once considered writing a novel based on idols and stuff. And I'd include all the singing and dancing in it too.

But uhn... Honestly? All I know from the idol industry comes from anime and manga... It's not nearly enough, and I don't even know how to research this.

I ended up giving up due to lack of actual knowledge on how it works... But I had fun theorycrafting it.

Horrorific

Not exactly sports, but I once considered writing a novel based on idols and stuff. And I'd include all the singing and dancing in it too.

But uhn... Honestly? All I know from the idol industry comes from anime and manga... It's not nearly enough, and I don't even know how to research this.
Fo' real. You need to make a song for it too. Although it is in text only, some readers will try to sing the song using their imagination (Totally not me). Personally, I thought about making that too but I just scrapped it since I couldn't make an original content instead of cliche stuff only.

AliceShiki

Fo' real. You need to make a song for it too. Although it is in text only, some readers will try to sing the song using their imagination (Totally not me). Personally, I thought about making that too but I just scrapped it since I couldn't make an original content instead of cliche stuff only.
Aaaaaaye! It would be fun trying to go through the process of the characters making the song and stuff as well!

But then... Do idols even make their own songs? Or are the producers that usually make them?

I would need to research this kind of thing too! Not to mention I don't know a thing about composing! >.<

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Aaaaaaye! It would be fun trying to go through the process of the characters making the song and stuff as well!

But then... Do idols even make their own songs? Or are the producers that usually make them?

I would need to research this kind of thing too! Not to mention I don't know a thing about composing! >.<
I thought most of the time, someone else makes the song.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
@binarysoap, yes, and they're usually called composers. Some artistes are also song writers.

@AliceShiki, Top Management (korean web novel) can give you an idea on how the industry works. Idolmaster, too, in a way, but that focuses more on the flashy performances and the grueling practices. God of Music (yet another korean wn) shows the life of a composer.

AliceShiki

I thought most of the time, someone else makes the song.
Thought as much! XD
@binarysoap, yes, and they're usually called composers. Some artistes are also song writers.

@AliceShiki, Top Management (korean web novel) can give you an idea on how the industry works. Idolmaster, too, in a way, but that focuses more on the flashy performances and the grueling practices. God of Music (yet another korean wn) shows the life of a composer.
I don't think it makes much sense to use a Korean series as the basis of how the Japanese industry works...

Horrorific

I'm gonna scrap sports novel. It's too hard to make it and I just lost the whole story to the Blue Screen Of Death.

'Draft button' sure is good, huh. I like how in the forum there is an autosave draft meanwhile the creating chapter doesn't have it.

Yiphen

Chaotic Lil' Demon
The issue I find with sports-related novels is that they're forced to keep the content interesting, and eventually turn into a martial arts novel and then eventually turn into a martial arts novel where everyone can fire ki blasts.

AliceShiki

The issue I find with sports-related novels is that they're forced to keep the content interesting, and eventually turn into a martial arts novel and then eventually turn into a martial arts novel where everyone can fire ki blasts.
*rolls laughing* I now remember Captain Tsubasa's anime and its multiple colored shots and special team attacks! XD

It was funny~