SSSC Feedback and Suggestions

mrsimple

Writer
I think the competitions have been quite fun to read so far! However, I think something that could be cool to also see is the ability for there to be more flexibility in a writer's creativity. For example, instead of being a stereotypical story, maybe you can introduce other mediums like poetry and script-writing. And also, in addition to your regular prompts, maybe you can also include like a raffle of genre+item thing to provide the theme for the next competition. (Example, use a randomizer to choose your genre and item; i.e. Horror + Window. Comedy + Chair. Tragedy + Comb.)

I think adding a little more spice in every competition can be rather interesting.
Maybe an introductory chapter leading towards one single page after another of descriptive paragraphs to make a CYOA? That would be an interesting experiment I'd like to try.

TLCsDestiny

...just an idea but give one person one prompt and then following that prompt is another person with another prompt. Teams or something. I just don't know how people will feel about that.

unice5656

In retrospect, writing period last 3 weeks which is 1 week short of NaNoWriMo and NaNoWriMo ask for a 50k word series. But yes, I can try and increase the time limit for the next competition.

You can certainly ask for a ridiculous minimum length if you want a 80% failure rate (in this context, no participation for people who are actually interested in participating) like NaNoWriMo does. Keep in mind that 1) people plan for NaNoWriMo all year and generally have a fully planned story for the first of November, 2) people only do it once a year because it's that unreasonable and gruelling, and 3) it generally results in an incoherent piece of maybe-story that needs to be edited for months to be readable.

D

Deleted member 2533

This suggestion would be a bit shameless and idealistic but, I hope you hear me out.

Seeing that only few would always join the SSSC. I think the prize was not that kind of appealing to authors (e.g. nitro discord? i dunno heh). I'm not saying that it was bad but we also have to take into consideration that not all authors use discord especially readers (most of them), i bet.

So my suggestion would be to add in the prizes a chance to get the (winning participant's work be put at a special place on SH site -- maybe banners in the sssc box?). BUT For a certain duration only. This way the author would have his short limelight and let the readers discover more of his masterpieces.

Though in the end, it would be up to the author how to 'market' or garner audiences to read and then give comments/feedbacks on his works.

Note: I wrote this keeping in mind that This would not apply to all authors since some were like me, writing just for fun, hobby, growth as a writer, or for some, a living - maybe?

Feel free to advice/reprimand me on this. ~I know nothing~

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsimple

Writer
I'd say that the prize for SSSC III didn't appeal to me, but I still participated. Regardless of that fact, I think the decision on what the prize might be is up to Tony. Although, I do like the suggestion of offering more exposure for those who are lacking enough of it.

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
In retrospect, writing period last 3 weeks which is 1 week short of NaNoWriMo and NaNoWriMo ask for a 50k word series. But yes, I can try and increase the time limit for the next competition.

As of now, the previous competitions have been experiments and so will the future competitions. Hence, there's only around 1-week break between each competition. Of course, if you can't participate in the next competition right after, you don't have to. With having one competition per month (approximately) there different pros and cons.
I get what you are saying by comparing it to Nanowrimo, but don't forget, nanowrimo actually has a 1 year long prep session that begins the instant the previous deadline date passes. the month it gives you is targeted at solely writing something you have already spent lots of time thinking over and planning out.

I don't think there should be more than 2 prompts for simplicity in my own opinion and raising the minimum words too far rules out people like myself who get to about 800 words and then start trying to figure out how to continue to finish a decent sized piece. I can figure out how to roughly double it, but going for over triple is a bit... :S

I don't actually care much about rewards as a little forum badge for placing in the top3 would please me plenty since its a community thing. If I really wanted something material I could have just submitted some copywriting elsewhere for a lumpsum.