SSSC II

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Totally missed the prompt... Just going to nake and submit a new one...
After you post your story, you have to go to the dashboard and scroll down. There will be a contest section and select SSSC II

S.D.Mills

That means you like Miranda and Ariel? I like the tragedies more.
I don't have any favorite characters for The Tempest. For me, my emotional connection to the story is my empathy for the author. Prospero (the wizard main character, for those who haven't read it) is Shakespeare's avatar in The Tempest. It was likely his last piece and is certainly his most serious one. In the story, Prospero's struggles and complex opinions are Shakespeare's. We feel, vicariously, through Prospero Shakespeare's expressions as a creator facing his mortality. He's getting old. He'll die one day, and that day might be soon. At the beginning of the play, he's found himself stuck on an island all alone with only his creations for company—which is how he feels as an aging writer. I could go on about all the parallels but in short, the "tempest" refers to the storm at the beginning of the play, Prospero's external and internal struggles during the story, and the raging storm inside Shakespeare he can't escape because it is a part of who he is.

I like his tragedies as well, @TwilightForest.

S.D.Mills

@Alverost We have until the 25th to submit, correct? On a side note, I think entries posted earlier have a built-in advantage over those that submit later, since it's possible people will read the first few, then not read other submissions before voting. (This isn't a criticism or complaint.) Thoughts?

TwilightForest

Being myself
I don't have any favorite characters for The Tempest. For me, my emotional connection to the story is my empathy for the author. Prospero (the wizard main character, for those who haven't read it) is Shakespeare's avatar in The Tempest. It was likely his last piece and is certainly his most serious one. In the story, Prospero's struggles and complex opinions are Shakespeare's. We feel, vicariously, through Prospero Shakespeare's expressions as a creator facing his mortality. He's getting old. He'll die one day, and that day might be soon. At the beginning of the play, he's found himself stuck on an island all alone with only his creations for company—which is how he feels as an aging writer. I could go on about all the parallels but in short, the "tempest" refers to the storm at the beginning of the play, Prospero's external and internal struggles during the story, and the raging storm inside Shakespeare he can't escape because it is a part of who he is.

I like his tragedies as well, @TwilightForest.
To say the truth, I never really liked Tempest. It was in my syllabus in Univ. I liked the tragedies more.
I had to make character analysis for Miranda and I hate to remember how I did it :)

S.D.Mills

To say the truth, I never really liked Tempest. It was in my syllabus in Univ. I liked the tragedies more.
I had to make character analysis for Miranda and I hate to remember how I did it :)
I know that feel. For your sake, I will do my best to not write a derivative of The Tempest. (^__^)

Though I may not be able to help myself making a bad joke about it in the title...

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
@Alverost We have until the 25th to submit, correct? On a side note, I think entries posted earlier have a built-in advantage over those that submit later, since it's possible people will read the first few, then not read other submissions before voting. (This isn't a criticism or complaint.) Thoughts?
Voting is just based on favourites if a person who read your work and likes it then they'll favourite it. However, yes the earlier one has a higher chance because their story is out earlier and might get read more.

25th is when the competition ends, it includes the submission and voting period. That means you should try to submit it soon. This is just a new format we are trying out, it might change later on.

To clarify people can vote for more than one story.

Tony

Staff member
To enter the competition this time, submit a story on SH like normal. After it's approved, go to the setting and at the bottom, there will be a category for contests. This contest is SSSC II. Stories will be in https://www.scribblehub.com/contest/sssc-ii/.

Just a small correction but you don't have to wait until your novel gets approved to select the category contest. As in you're able to select the category contest right away. Your novel won't be shown under https://www.scribblehub.com/contest/sssc-ii/ until your novel gets approved though. It's my fault though as I never explained it.

Thanks @Alverost for taking the time to run this contest. Good luck and have fun everyone!

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I edited the thread to fix the mistake

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Remember to vote for your story by favouriting them!

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Update: Tony has added a small section for the contest entries :blob_aww:. I've decided to extend the contest till 4th of march. However, the last day of entry is still 25th of February so submit soon if you haven't yet!

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
All the best to everyone joining. Too bad Ai-chan is so busy with work that it would be quite impossible for Ai-chan to meet the deadline. Maybe next time.

BTW, is there any rule to this contest? Like any genres not allowed?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
All the best to everyone joining. Too bad Ai-chan is so busy with work that it would be quite impossible for Ai-chan to meet the deadline. Maybe next time.

BTW, is there any rule to this contest? Like any genres not allowed?
Rules are listed on the first post and no, there are no genres that aren't allowed. If it is nsfw, please do list it as so.

Vanny

Mines isn't listed. Is it the word count?
If you skipped the info, please read it because this competition is different from before.

A sorcerer and his daughter are stranded on a deserted island, and then a second shipwreck brings a surprise visitor.

Story Entries will be posted here (Remember to favourite the story you want to win):
  1. Searching for Treasures by @TLCsDestiny
  2. The Sorcerer by @NoLoliNoLife
  3. The Desert Island by @TrollingTrolls
  4. My Father Carl Weschat by @EVENH
  5. Rising Winds by @ashielyn
  6. The Stranded Oracle by @Cold_Sun
  7. A Sorcerer's Tale by @TwilightForest
  8. Dragon of the Sea by @kenkikishi
  9. White Shadow by @Ehao_Truth
  10. The Egg by @mrsimple
You can find all the stories here. If your story isn't here then DM me and I'll add it to the list.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Submission period is over! Remember to favourite the story you want to win. Winners will be declared on the 4th of March.