SSSC V

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Can I submit more than one story for the contest? If so, can I use the same prompt as the other ones?
It's one story per prompt, so you can submit 3 stories but they can't be of the same prompt.

I thought it was more applicable to SSSC since commissioning art for one-off series doesn't seem to make a lot of financial sense.

I can work graphics software so I don't need cover making web apps, but the issue is more about the stock images and potential copyright issues. Was wondering how people handle that when not commissioning, which seems more likely on SSSC submissions.
I'm not exactly sure of what the authors do for their covers because it varies a lot.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
So if your first story uses all three prompts, how does that work?
Then you would only be able to submit one.

I should remind you all that votes go to the story and not the author. So even if an author submit 3 stories, the votes of each story stay separate.

Zero300

Then you would only be able to submit one.

I should remind you all that votes go to the story and not the author. So even if an author submit 3 stories, the votes of each story stay separate.
by the way, what happens if there's a tie? is tiebreaker determined by number of readers or number of views?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
by the way, what happens if there's a tie? is tiebreaker determined by number of readers or number of views?
For this competition, since first and second place get the same reward. There's no need for a tie breaker and would instead have two first place winner.

Zero300

For this competition, since first and second place get the same reward. There's no need for a tie breaker and would instead have two first place winner.
What about ties for second?

atgongumerki

Sorry for being late, but I am interested in what the prompts are/were, but I cannot seem to find them!
Is there a willing helper for my crisis?

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
If it turns out we accidentally violated a rule, will we be informed of it before the contest ends?
Also, are we free to edit our story until the deadline?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
If it turns out we accidentally violated a rule, will we be informed of it before the contest ends?
Also, are we free to edit our story until the deadline?
If you violate a rule, the story would be removed from the competition. You can re-submit it once you fix the violation. And yes you can edit your story until the deadline.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Are the winners entirely determined by the community and how many likes they throw or is there a sub-category where actual judges pick through the choices?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Are the winners entirely determined by the community and how many likes they throw or is there a sub-category where actual judges pick through the choices?
As the original competition post stated, winners are determined solely by favourites a story get. If there's a tie then the number of readers would determine that.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
12 days until the submission period closes! :blob_popcorn:

LWFlouisa

How based should based be? 2,000 words might be hard to reach, unless I drastically change course in this new story I'm doing.

OK that's doable, I can at least follow two of these prompts.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
How based should based be? 2,000 words might be hard to reach, unless I drastically change course in this new story I'm doing.

OK that's doable, I can at least follow two of these prompts.
What do you mean?

LWFlouisa

What do you mean?

Actually I manged to reach that word count minimum fairly easily. I just haven't done a full length short story in a while, mostly poetry and flash fiction. I was wondering about the minimal length.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Actually I manged to reach that word count minimum fairly easily. I just haven't done a full length short story in a while, mostly poetry and flash fiction. I was wondering about the minimal length.
The minimum length is 2k.