State/Kingdon/City Building Informational Request

War_and_Poetry

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any insight as to how you would go about writing a kingdom-building story? Or maybe just a City-State? Like, maybe some links or perhaps just some general tips and hints?

I want this question answered with this aforementioned hypothetical scenario kept in mind also btw:

You and several hundred people wake up in a different realm that already has established city-states or kingdoms and whatnot. Now, the infrastructure is already in place, now it just needs to be maintained. You and these several hundred people are going to be integrated into the day-to-day "cogs" of the kingdom/city and its daily functioning.

So, since everything is already built, or at least there is a stable foundation if nothing else, how and what knowledge/tips would be useful in improving the existing state infrastructure, or at least keeping it maintained. Also, the technological level is probably around the medieval era, but toss in the existence of magic, (all based off of the 6 Elements of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Light, Dark), and so on...

Is this answerable or have I made it needlessly complicated?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any insight as to how you would go about writing a kingdom-building story? Or maybe just a City-State? Like, maybe some links or perhaps just some general tips and hints?

I want this question answered with this aforementioned hypothetical scenario kept in mind also btw:

You and several hundred people wake up in a different realm that already has established city-states or kingdoms and whatnot. Now, the infrastructure is already in place, now it just needs to be maintained. You and these several hundred people are going to be integrated into the day-to-day "cogs" of the kingdom/city and its daily functioning.

So, since everything is already built, or at least there is a stable foundation if nothing else, how and what knowledge/tips would be useful in improving the existing state infrastructure, or at least keeping it maintained. Also, the technological level is probably around the medieval era, but toss in the existence of magic, (all based off of the 6 Elements of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Light, Dark), and so on...

Most probably, slowly build up the foundation. Just make the main character independent early on. After that, do things like gathering money, farming, and growing the territory? I do not have experience in that genre... except for a novel I'm translating.

D

Deleted member 45782

I would base it off on the rough outlines of what ancient existing kingdoms and societies were probably like. roughly. just a rough outline. and then fill in the parts that i want to put into that kingdom/society, make it unique or deep in depth

So, since everything is already built, or at least there is a stable foundation if nothing else, how and what knowledge/tips would be useful in improving the existing state infrastructure, or at least keeping it maintained.
Hmm...interesting. Woken up to serve as cogs for another place.

Also, the technological level is probably around the medieval era
Maybe some research on how medieval infrastructure was maintained. Like how do they keep repairing castle walls/fortresses/etc.?
What was some of that infrastructure made out of? Like bricks made of compact mud, cement and concrete...etc.

Also, the technological level is probably around the medieval era, but toss in the existence of magic, (all based off of the 6 Elements of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Light, Dark), and so on...
Reminds me of Avatar and how each kingdom or land had some different architecture types...

Gl with your story building though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MapleTofu

Obviously, your character needs to have some level of influence or power that makes them capable of leading. If the focus is kingdom-building, the main character isn't just a normal adventurer or mercenary. Since your setting is about several hundred people transmigrating and not just one, I'm assuming that they will all be part of the same group.

Many transmigrated kingdom-novels also have an advantage or some other talent they start off with in order to usurp the established framework. Usually, it's from a technology gap, but as your setting includes magic, that can also be a component.
Now, the infrastructure is already in place, now it just needs to be maintained.
If you are already starting off with a pre-existing kingdom and the people are already integrated, obviously there isn't as much conflict or issues that the characters are threatened by. In the case of kingdom-building novels, wars and power struggles are usually important plot drivers, and the lack of a main conflict can lead to a stale story. Even in a peaceful world, conflict is present.

It should also be mentioned that, for how cool kingdom-building might be, the core of every good story is the main character. The story shouldn't be just about the kingdom itself, but the kingdom-building done by the main character, i.e showing, not telling. On that point, advice towards normal stories applies the same way. Non-2dimensional personalities, character development, coherent plotline, and other general tips that can be found everywhere.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds

I have a gift to offer you:

A tool for worldbuilding for stories and tabletop rpgs.

Spica66

Aside from accessing to basic human needs, geopolitics is one of the best things to start when it comes to kingdom or nation. Geographics determine what kingdom has or lack, and also determine their interests.

Examples:
  • Do we have natural barrier (mountain, ravine, harsh-environment area) to handle hostile parties? If not, how are we going to deal with them. Build barricade? Make a retreat plan?
  • What are natural resources we have and we need? And who needs our resources? (Make assumption based on their geography, you can determine trade partner/enemy.) What are we going to do with unused resources and who needs them? If we're going to do trade, what do we want from them? How's trade route?
Before getting to geopolitics part, it's also important to explore the territory first. I didn't mean about city, but around, like big radius. Information is the most! most! most! important thing!

Try to use Maslow's hierarchy of needs as a checklist to see what they're lacking even though things are already built/made. Leader's decision should prioritized fundamental level before going for something like luxurious goods.

More edit: I think the rests kingdom building lovers already know such as assign people to do what they're good at, starts farming, domesticate animals.

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

For pointers, you can read The Prince. It has all the philosophies on how to make a well-governed city-state, or become a highly efficient dictator. It's in the public domain now, you can get it for free.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state

To be honest maintaining a kingdom is much harder than it seems since the king isn't the only one making decisions that will affect the kingdom.

nobles and commoners have choices and don't forget there may be a narcissistic commoner that rapidly gains support during war times and overthrows your government.

Nobles are the most scary if the nobles don't like you your not king anymore and since noble families have multiple people just because the head of the house likes you doesn't mean that they will support you unconditionally.

Mental disorders will be rampant during the times of kings and emperors crime will be high, mental disorders will cripple your commoners, nobles and the police force, and finally to stabilize your rule you must win one war if you do not even if you are a kind ruler people will not respect you as much since you couldn't protect your country(starting wars will lower citizen morale, but defending against them will increase it.)