Stating The Reason Why You Wrote The Story

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
As of recently I have been reading of philosophic works, and the constitution of the United States. And in the two, I have realized that the beginning of the work has a “chapter of sorts”, a so called preamble. In this preamble the author themselves state the reason of why they have written the series, and what purposes they seek to achieve with such.

The reason why I make a thread out of this idea, is to suggest that you have a preamble chapter to your series. This is so your audience can clearly get to the purpose and themes of your work.

It may bite away at the nuance of writing however, doing so will allow a lot much more of your audience to determine if you had successfully developed your story into the intended direction. And the benefits of this reform isn’t exclusive to your audience as this can go for you, for the moments you feel like you are unable to continue on with your work you could return to your preamble and vent into the reasons for why you have made your story. Renewing your dead and soulless mood with new found vision and passion.

With that said, I’d like you to take upon the question of if I should incorporate this into my series. And I do trust that you know what’s right, and what should have been done.

51CA8068-DBBA-4A83-8A99-6368FB01D7A8.jpeg

EA2F94C0-5878-4EA3-8BB6-C78430B434BD.png

Here’s my example

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Psh, I just made mine an afterword at the very end in the first volume rather than a preamble at the start. Reason started off as being a desire to write a shitty monogamous high school romance. Nothing deep at all. Then shit hit the fan and it somehow devolved into armageddon, world war women at some point.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Usually that's stated in the foreword of hardcover books, though when it comes to web serials you might want to save the preamble for the afterword, as your reason to write it may change midway.

EternalSunset0

As of recently I have been reading of philosophic works, and the constitution of the United States. And in the two, I have realized that the beginning of the work has a “chapter of sorts”, a so called preamble. In this preamble the author themselves state the reason of why they have written the series, and what purposes they seek to achieve with such.

The reason why I make a thread out of this idea, is to suggest that you have a preamble chapter to your series. This is so your audience can clearly get to the purpose and themes of your work.

It may bite away at the nuance of writing however, doing so will allow a lot much more of your audience to determine if you had successfully developed your story into the intended direction. And the benefits of this reform isn’t exclusive to your audience as this can go for you, for the moments you feel like you are unable to continue on with your work you could return to your preamble and vent into the reasons for why you have made your story. Renewing your dead and soulless mood with new found vision and passion.

With that said, I’d like you to take upon the question of if I should incorporate this into my series. And I do trust that you know what’s right, and what should have been done.

View attachment 10591

View attachment 10592
Here’s my example
I do that as an afterword and in my profile. I really like the flavor that it adds though. I think the Arifureta novels did it too.

Ilikewaterkusa

Usually that's stated in the foreword of hardcover books, though when it comes to web serials you might want to save the preamble for the afterword, as your reason to write it may change midway.
Well you could add onto the reasons with firm dates and stuff so I don’t see why one should leave it for later.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

View attachment 10591

View attachment 10592
Here’s my example
No. I never gave a fuck about those preambles and I'm not about to start making my own. As if I give a fuck about why anyone writes the stories they do, or anyone would care why I write

tridetect

I thought about adding one or an afterword but I want people to have their own answers from the themes presented in my works.

Vnator

Huh, never thought of adding that. For the series I'm writing, I pretty much got food poisoning and after not having eaten anything much for 4 days, and in my utterly delirious state, I somehow churned out the entire outline for my first book!

There's another story I'm still planning out, but that started out as a shitpost where I was making fun of all of the NTR stories on here (it's about a decent guy sent to an NTR world with a system, yadda yadda, but he wants nothing to do with the shit thrown at him and only wants to live a simple life), but then it ended up snowballing into an actual story with a fleshed out world and characters that I just have to publish once I get enough of it written down. It's what I like to call an ascended shitpost, because I absolutely did not intend for it to get as big as it did.

killwrites

Need motivation
A preamble sounds great, but I personally don't think that itʼs a great idea in terms of webnovels where attracting as many readers as possible is arguably the main pirority. I do state my purpose and reason for writing in my afterword though, cos I feel it's safe to assume that readers who have read up to there are somewhat invested in the story and wouldn't mind knowing more about my thought process.

On another note, I did post an introductory chapter for my second story, but so far I don't think it really made much of an impact, so there's that.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I have a short one for Kaiba's Prostitute, the first link in my signature. Please don't forget to give me a one-star rating 😇
Bruh what about those R-18 novels? "I write cuz I wanna write wank works"?
It's because I want to make the world a more accepting place for people like me.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I usually put it in the summary. And let's be honest, most of us here write because "I wanted to write this cool thing, have no idea what goona come out of it Uwu", which is just not enough to write in a separate chapter

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I don't even bother making a separate chapter for it. I just summarize it in the author's note for anyone curious enough to know why.

Readers are there to read your story, not your ideas.

Ilikewaterkusa

I don't even bother making a separate chapter for it. I just summarize it in the author's note for anyone curious enough to know why.

Readers are there to read your story, not your ideas.
For me it’s the reverse.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them

View attachment 10591

View attachment 10592
Here’s my example
Sounds cool it would be nice to keep a sorta more rigid outline of what the story is to be and to let audience have an idea of what to expect in the series coming in.
But mine will be sorta redundant with my characters getting along while the world burns around them and adjust to the Change, I'm not even sure how to accurately describe any of the plot lines for my series without giving everything away.

Kitsura

Twas a joke that got out of hand, it's very spooky getting trending on a novel you had no intention of becoming popular.