Writing Prompt Steal from a dragon

Aiyoki

Step 1: Pick a Chinese proverb. What you write should reflect the chosen proverb in some form or fashion.

Step 2: In 500 or more words, write out the tale of a man who stole a scale from a divine dragon.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
见钟情。 (Love at first sight) (google tells me that this is a proverb)

A young man in thick clothes stepped forward. His long hair was tied in a ponytail, fluttering in the wind like a dead sneak tied to a pole during a windy day in Xinjiang.
He stood before the dark cave of Divine Dragon and unfurled the decree Emperor Zedong gave him.
"Divine Dragon! Heed my words! My name is Xin Jiping! The Emperor has ordered you to leave your lair and pay your respects to him!"
The cave shook. The ground shook. The whole world shook. And from the dark cave emerged a black dragon with scales glistening in the sunlight. It huffed and stared down at Jiping with its amber reptilian eyes.
"Foolish mortals. For what reason should I agree to the puny request of some humans?"
Jiping pulled out his sword. Yet, his hands were shaking. Not because of fear. No, he'd slayed many dragons before. From the Void Dragon Emperor of the East to the Mystic Dragon of the West. Yet... none of them made him feel this way.
He remembered his past when he was still a foolish village boy. He'd fallen in love with the prettiest girl in Zanhaola Village. Yet, he lacked the courage to confess his feelings.
One day, Emperor Zedong himself passed by the village and commanded the girl to be in his harem.
Jiping's tongue was caught in his throat. No more! No more! I won't let the Emperor stand in the way of my love! He threw his sword down on the ground and prostate. "Oh Great Divine Dragon, forget about the stupid Emperor! I'm here to propose to you! I've never seen anything as beautiful as you!"
The Dragon snickered. It slowly opened its maw and gave Jiping its answer. "I—
"Papa! Papa! Look!"
Jiping looked down to his side. There stood a child with flaming red hair and arms covered with scales. Her face was full of smiles, and her hands held a golden ring.
"You forgot the ring!"
Jiping smiled. He took the ring and gave his daughter a peck on the cheek. "Thank you. Now go to your grandpa. He must be worried sick."
"Mhm!"
After seeing his daughter off, Jiping took a deep breath and entered the venue where his wedding was held. As soon as he entered the room, everyone's eyes were on him.
On his left, he could see the Emperor and his harem sitting in rows of wooden chairs; half of them staring at him with disgust, the other half with happiness. As for the Emperor himself, his face was indecipherable, as always.
To his right were scaled reptilian creatures of all types. And on the head of the biggest creature was Jiping's daughter.
Jiping took another breath. He stepped to the front of the room where his bride stood. He got down on one knee. His hands caressed her claws and gently put the ring on her.
"I love you. And I'm thankful to the Emperor for giving us the chance to meet each other."
The Divine Dragon blushed. It tore off a piece of its tail scale and gave it to him.
"I love you too, dear."
That was the story of Xin Jiping, the man who stole a scale of the Divine Dragon, as well as its love.

I just realized the name of the characters here but they are they first names that came to mind when I think of Chinese names and I'm too lazy to rewrite everything

Last edited:

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
Ahem. I don't think it's a story about a man stealing a dragon scale anymore, but it's something (Girl's Love).1.5k words.

A man’s greed is like a snake that wants to swallow an elephant.

The village of Anyu was set alight in festive delight.

Laughter rang out like a joyous symphony as people from every corner dressed in their finest attire prepared for the Feast. The wooden huts bedecked with colorful banners and garlands augmented the joviality of the celebration.

The harsh Wind season had finally culminated, and the inhabitants were relieved of the frigid gales that tore their roofs, the howling storm, or the biting frost that robbed them of their sleep.
The advent of Star season ushered in an era of placidity, sprinkling tranquility across the terrain, allowing them to relish in the gentle night breeze and the resplendent starlight that brought solace to the eyes.

Although a secluded hamlet tucked in the mountains, the village of Anyu comprised a self-sufficient population of 43 families. To celebrate the yearly tradition, the families congregated in a large circle at the heart of the village. The men in the tribe roasted meat and fish over the flames, regaling each other with their hunting escapades and occasionally bursting into fits of laughter.
Meanwhile, the women of the community concocted wine using grapes, honey, and a medley of herbs and spices, while also exchanging words of hardship and domestic wisdom.
The rambunctious children frolicked around blithely, heedless and impervious to the chiding adults, and a handful helped with sundry chores.

As dusk fell, the merrymaking came to a halt. The constant laughter and chatter that permeated the air dispersed as the villagers headed toward the Sacred Lake, holding the children close.
The little ones were the most adventurous. Although they squirmed and fidgeted in their parents' arms, their gaze was set intently on the misty lake surface, fear missing from their faces for whatever childhood fantasies were consuming them.
And fantasy it was, for the Lake was home to the Divine Dragon, Marcellene, their patron and protector. For generations, the dragon had watched over them and blessed them, and in return, they honored her as much as they revered her. On this special night, she would grace them with her presence and join in their little Festivity.

However, it seemed not everyone shared this enthusiasm and reverence for their supposed Guardian. The old man Gogo certainly did not. The oversized fire-breathing reptilian was in no way a divine creature, he mentally agreed to himself. The scales, however…
His neutral frown was etched upon his face as he distanced himself from the Lake.

The lake's surface rippled and bubbled, and one could see a shadowy presence looming.

The cheeriness and anticipation rose among the villagers. Some children tried to sneak closer to the lake’s edge. However, their parents were swift to drag them back to safety.
And suddenly, a massive burst of water erupted from the lake, showering the crowd with droplets.

The dragon that emerged from the lake was majestic in a radiant vision. Her iridescent scales shimmered and glimmered, resembling priceless jewels. As the moon's gentle glow caressed her scales, they refracted and danced, creating a captivating display of colors that seemed to mirror the surrounding water.

She soared over them. Circling the Lake twice as if a greeting in the language of dragons, she descended gracefully on the shore. As she landed, the dragon’s body shrank and reshaped, until she took the form of a young woman. The only traces of true nature remaining were her two elegant horns protruding on her forehead, a scaly tail behind her back, and her slit pupils. Otherwise, she looked like a young woman of exquisite beauty.

Gogo observed the entire transformation with passive interest. The old dragon certainly learned a trick or two. Too bad she was just an animal in the end. Her face would also fetch quite some sum. But, alas, only if he managed to capture her.

The chime of her greeting broke them out of their stupor.

The villagers bowed respectfully, welcoming her to the Feast.

The joyous melodies played on traditional instruments echoed through the night. The rhythmic beats of the drums beckoned the villagers to dance and sway, twirling and spinning as the colorful garments swirled around with them.
Games and competitions took center stage next. Men engaged in friendly contests of strength, skill, and wit, while the girls cheered one another; the festive tune infused with the competitive spirit blended seamlessly.

Marcellene too enthusiastically cheered and applauded, relishing the delectable treats that the children graciously offered in between. The elders joined her company soon after, engaging in heartfelt conversations.

The celebration continued unabated until the moon reached its zenith in the night sky. As the Feast drew close, the villagers thanked Marcellene for her presence and the blessings she had bestowed upon the land. They formed a procession, encircling the maiden chosen for this year's ceremony. Sitonai, the youngest daughter of the venerable Elder, had recently blossomed into the embrace of adulthood. Her purity, once akin to a flower bud, now carried the potential to mature into graceful womanhood.

Marcellene smiled wryly at that. When she first appeared in the village, the villagers believed that they had to offer one of their own to the dragon every year, in exchange for her protection and favor. She felt strange about it, but she did not mind it. For she did not harm or eat any of them; instead, the girls were taken to her underwater palace where she showed them wonders they had never seen before. The reactions to her treasure collection were always precious, after all.
The girls were then returned to their homes before dawn, with their memories erased but their hearts filled with peace.

Accompanied by the solemn yet hopeful hymn carried out by enchanting notes of flutes, they marched. The soft moonlight gently guided steps in its moonlit path.

Marcellene followed in graceful steps, quietly deciding to let Sitonai keep her memories of their encounter that night. Maybe also ask her if she wanted to stay with her in the lake forever, and hopefully—

In the shimmering starlight, Sitonai stood there. Her complexion as delicate as a blooming flower glowed ethereally, kissed by the celestial luminescence that danced across her features.

One step.

Embellishing her flowing locks was a crown of blossoms, their petals gleaming like stardust, while strands of silver moonlight seemed to weave through her hair.

Two steps.

The flowing white dress seemed to blend with the luminous night, she appeared as an otherworldly fairy—

She leaned closer—

In that evocative moment, reality blurred. A suspended pause embraced their being, as if time itself held its breath. Their hearts spoke secrets in this suspended realm, eyes locked in wordless conversation. Their souls intertwined like vines, entwining in a dance of delicate grace, where each touch was a petal unfurling, revealing layers of tenderness and vulnerability. The softness of lips that suffused each other, poised between endings and new beginnings.

The villagers watched with bated breath and wonder. Such a display of love and courage was seldom witnessed. In respectful silence, they gradually dispersed, allowing the lovers to savor their tender moment undisturbed. With lingering glances and hearts filled with adoration, the villagers retreated to the comfort of their homes.

Roaring with fury, Marcellene's eyes glowed with an intense fire. With lightning speed, she lunged at the intruder who had dared to interrupt their shared moment, jaws wide open, seeking retribution for his audacious act.

Gogo's euphoria quickly evaporated, replaced by sheer terror as the dragon's jaws closed around his arm. The excruciating pressure crushed bone and sinew, causing him to scream in agonizing despair. In one swift motion, the dragon tore his arm from its socket, severing any lingering hope he might have clung to.

The lifeless body of Gogo sank deeper into the dark depths of the lake. The crimson hue of his blood mingled with the murky waters, creating a haunting spectacle.
The once gentle ripples turned into turbulent waves, cradling his broken form, as if to offer a final rest in peace.

Marcellene reached down to retrieve the knife coated with poison with a mingling sense of wariness and uncertainty. Foolish, she thought, if he believed that mere poison could harm an immortal like her. However, the notion of Goro possessing a divine class artifact also piqued her interest, stirring a whirlwind of questions within her.

Why did he possess such a potent weapon? The answer remained elusive, concealed within the dark recesses of Goro's twisted psyche. Yet, for now, those questions would have to wait, overshadowed by the urgency of ensuring Sitonai's safety.

Her attention shifted to Sitonai, who stood nearby. Marcellene's eyes softened as she caught the concerned gaze of her beloved, smiling weakly as Marcellene held out her hand. A silent question lingered, a question that didn’t require words to spell: Are you sure you to come with me?

Sitonai nodded and took her hand.

The night was theirs, and they surrendered to it completely. They talked, laughed, kissed, and made love. Whispering words of love and making promises they meant to keep.

In the end, Gogo's insatiable greed sealed his fate, forever etching out his place in the annals of the lake's history. Nature, indifferent to the affairs of mortals, continued its gentle rhythms, as if attempting to heal the scars inflicted by this dark encounter. And as the waters stilled, the lake regained its previous serenity, concealing the tragic tale within its depths.

PS: I'm done with it. Sorry, I'm not editing it.

Last edited: