Subterranean Tag

expentio

Would it be possible to create a subterranean tag for stories that take place mostly or completely underground? For example in a dungeon, cave, metro?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You might enjoy this:

expentio

I wouldn't say it is that niche.
There are quite some stories where it might apply.
For example "Kumo ga nani desu ka", the "Metro" books, you could even apply "Journey to the middle of the earth" from Jules Verne.
"Dungeon ni deai" might as well work, since much revolves around heading inside the dungeon the town was built above.
I haven't read it, but "The Shaman that Couldn’t Become a Hero" might as well fit. "Swarm queen" on this site is sadly on hiatus, but got many readers.
There was also the game "arx fatalis".
I think there is some fascination going for a setting which is more like a labyrinth than free space. There is claustrophobic suspense as well as safety through bunker feel. I think it has some charme seeing a world developing in an enclosed space.

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
I’d say a some tags that existed are already pretty niche or specific as well (Like first time intercourse, a lot of specific kind of cultivations, very specific characteristic of the protagonist or love interest like if they wear glasses or not as tags), so I don’t see why another niche tag is a problem.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Made in Abyss would qualify. Given it's success I'm surprised there wasn't more imitations.

AkalE

I think what Hurg was getting at is that no one is reading those stories just because it has majority of the scenes underground. Staying underground is not the driver of most of these stories even if that is the setting. And it is a niche because not many (imo) look specifically for stories that take place in the subterranean setting. It could be the setting but that is not what drives people to like it.

Tags (again imo) are to attract (or warn) the readers about the general content of the story.