Synopsis and authors

Mr.Grey-Cat

so yasterday, I changed my novel's synopsis into a new one, and while doing so, I felt curious about how author decide on their synopsis, and if they do change it reguraly or just leave it as is after the first time they make it.

so what do you think ?

by the way, the new Synopsis of my novel is here:

--------
Sometimes, life can be the same as a dream.

Unpredictable, beautiful, but fleeting.

And so, my dream is reaching its end, and my life is the same.

My name is Alice, Alice Whitefield, a dying patient with limited days left, and also one of the best VR players ever found.

And so, with my remaining days being numbered and my life burning out, I will do the only thing players know to do.

Play a new game.

“because if my life's last spark is burning out, then I just have to make it into a final brilliant light, one that can't be forgotten. And what better stage is there, than a new world, with unknown horizons, and hidden challenges? don't you too think the same ?"

If you do, then once again, here I am.

My name is Alice Whitefield, and this is my story, as I bet my everything, for a final chance of seeing a new horizon.------

SailusGebel

I think if the synopsis is good, there is no reason to change it at all. Personally, I suck at writing a synopsis. I already changed the synopsis for my current story once, but it still sucks. I don't know how to change it. :blob_no:

Mr.Grey-Cat

I think if the synopsis is good, there is no reason to change it at all. Personally, I suck at writing a synopsis. I already changed the synopsis for my current story once, but it still sucks. I don't know how to change it. :blob_no:
I understand that.

not knowing from where to strat, nor where to end. and feeling confused if you are doing the right thing to describe you novel, or not.

can be confusing,

Nneeil

I only changed the synopsis of my novel once. Mind you, I was rewriting the whole thing. Anyway, I agree with the dude above. If you change your synopsis, you risk making it sound worse than it initially was. Not a worthy gambit if you're steadily getting readers.

MoonLight27

Hey buddy, why don't you ask @SquigglySquidSquish for help? He is really the best senior:blob_highfive: on this platform... I posted my synopsis on one of his threads and he helped me a lot! (Plus point: he doesn't scold or use harsh words:blob_wink: )
so yasterday, I changed my novel's synopsis into a new one, and while doing so, I felt curious about how author decide on their synopsis, and if they do change it reguraly or just leave it as is after the first time they make it.

so what do you think ?
Change constantly till it becomes perfect:sweating_profusely: and then leave it:blob_highfive:

SailusGebel

Hey buddy, why don't you ask @SquigglySquidSquish for help? He is really the best senior:blob_highfive: on this platform... I posted my synopsis on one of his threads and he helped me a lot! (Plus point: he doesn't scold or use harsh words:blob_wink: )
1. I'm too stubborn to do this. 2. The advice and tips that are given are good. The thing is, do you understand that the hardest part is applying all of it? Cause I have troubles with applying my knowledge, not the lack of knowledge.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

so what do you think ?

by the way, the new Synopsis of my novel is here:

--------

My name is Alice, Alice Whitefield, a dying patient with limited days left, and also one of the best VR players ever found.

And so, with my remaining days being numbered and my life burning out, I will do the only thing players know to do.

Play a new game.

“because if my life's last spark is burning out, then I just have to make it into a final brilliant light, one that can't be forgotten. And what better stage is there, than a new world, with unknown horizons, and hidden challenges? don't you too think the same ?"

you do, then once again, here I am.

My name is Alice Whitefield, and this is my story, as I bet my everything, for a final chance of seeing a new horizon.------
Sometimes the story doesnt fit the synopsis after so many chapters. For example my first story was supposed to be your average otome game villainess type of novel, from the brother's perspective. But I, in all my genius, decided to get high while writing it and somewhere down the line it became a "adventures of a drug addict in another world" type of story.

So I had to change the synopsis to match the actual craziness the story became.

Also I dont even think about the synopsis until Its time to publish. Until then it's just a chapter and a general idea

TotallyHuman

I just write whatever. Most of the time I myself have no idea what Imma write so I write vague. I hate the synopsi (synopsises? The plural of synopsis, whatever that is, too lazy to google) that promise one thing and deliver a different one despite what they write in synopsis, regardless of how well-written the story itself may be (cough, cough, @CupcakeNinja and his first version of my sister the villainess cough cough) so I don't promise what I know I may not deliver and if I do promise something, I end up forcing it even if the plot ended up not having a good place for it.
I also write a bunch of disclaimers about the content I do plan on putting in, like human experimentation and my fantasies about human race being enslaved by other sapient species but I digress

Kuropon

I guess I put in something that the reader might find interesting as its what the novel is about xD?

Reach what exactly? Is the MC suicidal? The third sentence makes no sense. But otherwise, the synopsis looks fine. I can understand the premise and the MC's personality.

Also why is this in quotes? The whole thing is the MC directly addressing readers so no point in adding quotes really.

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
It just depends on what we are making , like a someone reincarnated as a half ogre and becomes as op as Veldora tempest and worst yet keeps on building a army.
So down to what you planning and how you exculpate the story.

MoonLight27

1. I'm too stubborn to do this. 2. The advice and tips that are given are good. The thing is, do you understand that the hardest part is applying all of it? Cause I have troubles with applying my knowledge, not the lack of knowledge.
Ahh... then we can become best buddies :blob_highfive: being an Aquarius, I am also a stubborn person.
Who told you to accept 100% of it? The good part is, it will give a particular direction where and how much of knowledge and our never-ending ideas should be applied:blob_okay:

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Depending what I'm snorting while writing a novel. If I didn't snort anything, best guess its that its mainly just a simply synopsis. After drinking coffee, first person perspective. Snort some fruit powder, starts quoting some author and sht. Post-nut clarity, begin with some inspiring quotes before telling the story. I never tried drinking alcohol nor drugs but might try it in the near future as to what sort of masterpiece while being drunk or high AF.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I just write whatever. Most of the time I myself have no idea what Imma write so I write vague. I hate the synopsi (synopsises? The plural of synopsis, whatever that is, too lazy to google) that promise one thing and deliver a different one despite what they write in synopsis, regardless of how well-written the story itself may be (cough, cough, @CupcakeNinja and his first version of my sister the villainess cough cough) so I don't promise what I know I may not deliver and if I do promise something, I end up forcing it even if the plot ended up not having a good place for it.
I also write a bunch of disclaimers about the content I do plan on putting in, like human experimentation and my fantasies about human race being enslaved by other sapient species but I digress
I really ended up writing that Alternate version cuz people kept complaining about the original story being clickbait lol. Well, i actually ended up liking certain parts of the other version more tho

D

Deleted member 45782

Change constantly till it becomes perfect:sweating_profusely: and then leave it:blob_highfive:
Aww thanks. I'm not the best thu. There are quite a few other good ones as well who give good advice on synopsis too. :)

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I first write what the plot is about, and then break the 4th wall and tell the reader what they can expect beyond what is already defined by genre and tags.