tag timeline

Legi0n

I looked around a bit but did not see something similar, don't condemn me if I missed the proposal.
I was reflecting about the role the tags occupy: as far as I understand, it is to give the readers a way to discover stories with specific features. However, often this features aren't in the story from the start and appear only after a good number of chapters or archs.

My suggestion is to implement a way for the readers to understand how far in the story they can expect every features to appear.
It could be a simple click on the tag that reveals with a waterfall effect a chapter number, a percentage, or status (i.e. from the beginning, early, middle, late).

What do you think about it?​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

i don't see why not.

i have poems and one-short chapter stories so they're all different from each other; they're just lumped in together with a general writing medium type and maybe a genre. It would be interesting to specifically tag what appears in each chapter (or in my case, different poems/stories)

TunTun

Tags aren't ment to be used way. This goes beyond what they are supposed to be. Readers could self-spoil and also some authors add tags without knowing when such tags will take place.

Legi0n

Tags aren't ment to be used way. This goes beyond what they are supposed to be. Readers could self-spoil and also some authors add tags without knowing when such tags will take place.
If you click on them to reveal when they appear the reader can choose whether get spoilered or not (besides, chapter number or status it's a different degree of spoiler).
As a writer, if you insert a tag without having a vague idea of when you intend that to happen then you are fooling the readers: it's not a honest thing to do. If you know you will have something, you also more or less know when. Besides, knowing an author has clear ideas is a security for a reader.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I agree with this. Mostly because of people's abuses of Yuri, Yaoi, and Gender Bender. I dislike all three of these and actively avoid reading them, but I will still sometimes read something that is Yuri occasionally if it's not a prominent feature or is perhaps relegated to the sideline in importance. So many people just drop tags for the shits and giggles, for advertising, and for bait without any real consideration beyond that.

Still, while I appreciate this suggested idea, I doubt many will use it even if applied since it seems like a tad more effort than the vast majority of SH'ers would be willing to expend. That, and it would also, if for some absurd reason it was enforced, take away many people's abilities to "bait" readers. Which let's be honest, is a common tactic. Plenty of writers have absolutely no problem purposely misleading and being directly or indirectly dishonest when assigning tags if they think it would benefit them somehow, in the short or long term. Or both.

This is a good idea, but I'm skeptical of its success.

And as for spoilers, I'm on the fence with that one. In a sense, I hate spoilers, but on the other hand...if I had known how the Avatar: Korra show would develop after the end of Season One, I would have dropped it right then and there and pretended that was the canonical conclusion. Show was absolute crap and went downhill like a boulder down a cliff.

Last edited:

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Still, while I appreciate this suggested idea, I doubt many will use it even if applied since it seems like a tad more effort than the vast majority of SH'ers would be willing to expend.
We are the laziest of the laziest!
*Plants flag here*